Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3D clashes! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3D clashes!
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week, theaters in the UK are facing a 3D booking dilemma. Most only have one or two 3D screens, yet there are two new 3D films (Alpha & Omega, Legend of the Guardians) out this week. Not only that, but Despicable Me is only in its second week of showing and should still be shown in 3D!

What do you do in your theater when there are multiple 3D films competing for your limited number of 3D screens? Do you alternate between movies in each screen? Do you simply not book (or play 2D-only) one of the movies? Or do you do something drastic like split the movie into two halves?

The VUE Leeds Light appears not to be showing Legend of the Guardians, while Cineworld in Bradford looks to be alternating showings in their 3D screen.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't run Alpha & Omega, you will thank me later. That movie was a turd.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did quite well for us...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-21-2010 05:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Share the screens? Surely they're not asking for so many sessions of LOTG or A+O not to be able to do this.

Despicable Me should keep its own screen though this early into the run.

BTW, the 3D in LOTG is quite excellent.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2010 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, keep Despicable Me on your 3D screen as long as you can. That movie has great word of mouth.

I have also heard that LOTG has great imagery but a lot of people are "upset" that it's too scary for li'l kids.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my neighborhood theater only has one 3D screen, and I think they are going with Megamind and not Saw 3D. [Frown]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2010 11:56 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no dilemma if you have two 3D houses in the UK this week, you try and show Alpha and Omega as little as possible in 3D in the smaller screen, as it's by far and away the weaker title. Despicable Me will do great business through the school holiday, and LOTG 3D should be strong.

I work for the major exhibitor you didn't mention in the first post, and we've pretty much rolled out enough 3D screens to avoid these situations. Our site near the ones you mention has four 3D screens.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 12:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
my neighborhood theater only has one 3D screen, and I think they are going with Megamind and not Saw 3D.
That's smart...Megamind will have way better legs than Saw 3D.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that Lionsgate is allowing just one week 3d for Saw 7 to get screens just like Universal did with My Soul to Take. Two 8-plexes near me played 1 week 3d of My Soul To Take and then played week 2 35mm.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are ok with our 4 screens, 1 alpha & Omega, 1 LOTG and 2 Despicable me.

quote: Thomas Pitt
The VUE Leeds Light appears not to be showing Legend of the Guardians, while Cineworld in Bradford looks to be alternating showings in their 3D screen.
Looking at the website they have 1 Despicable Me, 1 Apha & Omega and 1 LOTG.

I thought Cineworld had at least 4 or 5 3D capable screens at that site.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
my neighborhood theater only has one 3D screen, and I think they are going with Megamind and not Saw 3D.

Would have thought they'd play Megamind during the day with 1 or 2 evening shows of Saw.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 12:00 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way you could split during first week in the U.S. anything. Do the studios allow you to split on week one in the U.K.?

Aaron Lane Morris
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 08:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Lane Morris   Email Aaron Lane Morris       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two 3D screens out of eight total.

We have doubled up at times, but more recently we drop a previously 3D movie to a 2D screening. For instance we are showing Jackass 3D and My Soul to Take right now. Next week we will drop Soul down to 2D to make room for Saw.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 07:08 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next week with Saw 3D (Megamind isn't showing on the 'coming soon' pages yet), it appears that it's only showing in the evenings at VUE sites. Presumably they have Guardians, Alpha & Omega and Despicable Me during the day since it's school half term, and the 18-rated Saw is relegated to evening showings.

Looking around the various VUE sites, the earliest time I can find Saw 3D on a weekday is 7:30pm! I think the Cineworld in Sheffield has more 3D screens though; they're showing it during the day.

I wonder how theaters would react if FOUR 3D films came out at the same time?

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two different movies alternating on one digital system shouldn't be a problem. I'm just finishing up a week of running five different movies on one digital projector, each of the first four movies getting one show a day and the last movie with two evening sessions.

The only tricky part is the system is due to be set up with automation in some upcoming week and until the new gear goes in we've been running shows with a fair bit of manual operation.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 10:56 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc,

It's not the technical side of sharing a screen that the question was about. In the US, it's virtually impossible to convince the studios to allow more than one first run film to alternate with another. Sometimes, a smaller distrib MIGHT allow you to show two of THEIR films at teh same time on one screen, buit otherwise it doesn't happen here with first run.

I wish that weren't the case, because it makes the business of a single screen difficult.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: