Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars saga confirmed for 3D starting 2012

Author Topic: Star Wars saga confirmed for 3D starting 2012
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Variety
Tuesday, September 28, 2010

'Star Wars' saga gets 3D makeover
Converted 'Phantom Menace' to hit theaters in 2012

By DAVID S. COHEN

After more than five years of teasing, Lucasfilm disclosed today that work is under way on converting the "Star Wars" saga to 3D.

All six pics will get theatrical re-release in stereoscopic starting with "Episode I: The Phantom Menace," which returns to theaters in 2012.

Exact release date has not been announced, but a Lucasfilm spokesperson said the pic will open wide and "as close to day and date (worldwide) as possible."

The prospect of six "Star Wars" pics released in 3D should stifle speculation that the format is a fading fad. It also promises to reintroduce the franchise to young auds who are used to 3D and only know 'Star Wars' from homevideo and the "Clone Wars" Cartoon Network skein.

20th Century Fox will once again distribute. Fox domestic distribution prexy Bruce Snyder called the series "perfectly suited" for 3D and said "I expect this to be as much fun for people that have not experienced 'Star Wars' as it was for people who were there in 1977 staring at the screen with mouth agape."

Spacing of the re-releases has not yet been determined, as that will depend on the pace of the conversion effort.
There are no plans yet for a homevideo release.

John Knoll, visual effects supervisor for Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic, is overseeing the conversion, which is being done by outside vendors with close oversight by ILM.

Knoll said Lucasfilm is committed to ensuring that the 3D conversion delivers results as good as a movie shot and authored in 3D. Knoll said that it'll be used to make the experience more immersive and he'll avoid some of the more jarring, exaggerated uses of 3D that have marked previous stereoscopic pics.

"Having seen a lot of stereo material, I have very strong opinions about what I like and don't like about stereo," Knoll told Variety. "I'm going to be applying my aesthetic. It's not going to look like (conversions) we've seen in the past."

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 03:21 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beat ya to it over in the "Is 3D Already Dead" string [evil]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperspace effect might be nice in 3D. Louis

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah- "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone" was shot in 3-D and released at the same time as "Return of the Jedi". I went to see Spacehunter first because it was in 3-D, and Jedi wasn't.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Both James Cameron and George Lucas feel they can do wonders with TITANIC and the STAR WARS film with 3-D, we should all hope they succeed instead of making fun of their efforts. Unlike the filmmakers who produced films like THE CLASH OF THE TITANS and a few others in 2-D and made a terrible effort converting them to 3-D, I think if anyone can succeed converting 2-D into 3-D with very satisfactory results, both Cameron and Lucas should be able to do it because they both have a lot of money to undertake the projects.

-Claude

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas: once a good filmmaker now turned hack. I'll pass on seeing these in 3D.

Release it in 2D and then I'm in. I must admit, it'd be nice to hear Rydstrom's sound mixes for Episodes I and II theatrically again.

AJG

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here's your perfect chance to make it to Sydney Aaron. If I'm still here, come on by and we'll run it in 2D.

I seriously think if I had to watch any of these (but particularly Eps I and II) in 3D I would vomit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that watching Episode 1 in 3D would be like being part of a horrific car crash instead of simply watching it unfold. 3D won't make an absolute dogshit of a movie any better. It won't make Anakin any less of a winy little pussy bitch and the acting, writing, dialog, characters and directing is still gonna suck big time in the first 3.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I hope George Lucas & James Cameron are successful converting the STAR WARS films and TITANIC to 3-D, I can see no valid reason for it. For curiosity sake, I probably will see the 3-D TITANIC and probably episode four of STARS WARS but have no intention of seeing the others.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Lucas and his soundmixers will retinker with the sound elements and release the films in discrete 7.1 sound for the 3D versions.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2010 04:35 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone thinks the conversion to 3D is for artistic purposes, they should look to the sky for those pigs with wings. It's all about the $$$.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-14-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conversions = [bs]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-14-2010 05:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear diary - i sure hope CITIZEN KANE, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, 2001 and MOMMIE DEAREST all get 3D conversion, as it will bring these masterpieces to young audiences who are accustomed to 3D - sincerely, manny knowles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: