Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Harkins to ban texting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Harkins to ban texting
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-21-2010 08:22 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope this spreads. But why quit at Christmas?

quote:
Scottsdale-based Harkins wants to ban texting during movies

Sept. 16, 2010 11:48 AM
The Arizona Republic

You may identify with this one. You pay your $10 to forget about the world outside and enjoy a movie. But instead of the bright lights of the silver screen and the crackle of munching popcorn, it's the guy or gal sitting next to you with a Blackberry screen flickering that's got all your fuming attention.

Officials at Harkins Theatres hope to gently steer patrons away from what has become an all-too-common practice. The Scottsdale-based chain is accelerating a campaign against texting during movies.

The campaign includes replacing promotions of coming attractions in poster cases with "No Texting During Movie" signs. The Arrowhead Harkins near Bell Road and Loop 101 had one inside the lobby this week. More are expected the weekend of Sept. 24.

Harkins' nationwide campaign will run through Christmas.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/westvalley/articles/2010/09/16/20100916scottsdale-harkins-ban-texting-during-movies.html#ixzz10AaNdlus

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did our White Out two weekends ago and met with positive response. It was a little weird seeing all white every where you looked. We've also been running a NTDM (No Texting During Movies) ad since the start of the year on our preshow. Also Martin, we've had multiple posters up for over a year now in all of our locations. I think they are talking about the White Outs ending around Christmas.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-21-2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has it actually been doing any good? I've had screen slides up for years, but still get people whipping out the cell phones.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck stopping it. Kids are very adept at hiding their phones down between their legs, inside a pocket, etc. But I figure, if they're only bothering the person sitting right next to them (usually a friend) then that person will give them a swift elbow to the ribs if it's bothering too much.

It's very sad that people are so addicted to their phones that they're unable to disconnect for a couple of hours.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, it is near impossible to stop texting during movies. As a theatre manager/owner what ever you maybe it is also your responsibility to do what you can to help stem the onslaught of idiot kids and adults for that matter. It has helped out some. But jackass' are still going to do it, its just up to us to do more on the theatre side. Wether that be more theatre patrols, taking a harder stance on it, asking the patrons to leave if they don't want to comply.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-21-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way any movie theater can hope to stop people from talking and texting on mobile phones during a movie showing is by adopting a tough policy against phone use and actually enforcing the policy.

If customers are merely asked to please not mess with their phones during the movie the customers are just going to laugh and do it anyway. "Screw you, usher boy. Heh heh." Clickety clickety click!

If the customers are warned in advance of a strict policy and violation of that policy can have them booted from the theater property without a refund then chances are good the customers will take the matter more seriously. IMHO, theaters will probably gain more customers than they will lose by really cracking down on the mobile phone nonsense.

Warren Theaters is the only chain I know of that has a strict no phone use during the movie policy. Other theaters may have adopted a similar policy; I just don't know about them. Hopefully many or even all commercial theaters will follow suit. Visitors to the Moore theater seem to heed the warnings. In the few times I've visited the theater I haven't seen anyone messing around with a mobile phone during a show. Very nice.
[thumbsup]

Further, I would like to see the stand Warren Theaters has taken adopted by certain other businesses and institutions. Mobile phones do not need to be in use all the time. Certain restaurants should discourage or prohibit mobile phone use in the dining area. A ringing mobile phone is flat out offensive during a wedding, funeral or church service. Our AMBUCS civic club chapter here in Lawton will fine anyone a dollar if his/her phone rings during the meeting (it's done in humor, but still your phone will cost you a dollar if it rings).

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-21-2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes you have to let it pass. We had a visiting filmmaker last night and his phone went off during the Q&A. At least he had to good manners not to take the call [Wink]

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no use fighting it. Cell phones and texting is here to stay, and almost everyone has one now, and many are using them in the theatres. The entitlement generation will not be told they can't use their phone to text at the movies. They will just stop going to the movies then, and you all will have to close up shop. Maybe if Hollywood made more interesting movies, and not the throw-away garbage being put out now, people would take going to the movies more seriously. As it is now, it's become a throw away experience.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a "white out"?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2010 05:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe if Hollywood made more interesting movies,
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. I've seen people pull out their phone right during the most intense or climactic part of a movie. If they get a call or a text, they are compelled to answer it immediately no matter where they are or what's happening.

When we were showing Toy Story 3, some 20-something girl came scrambling out of the auditorium RIGHT when the toys were sliding down into the incinerator and she proceeded to pace the lobby having a stupid conversation about where to meet somebody after the movie, and missed the whole ending. The movie had ceased to exist for her.

At least she had the sense to leave the theatre to take the call though, so she's not a complete fool. We just know where she places her priorities.

The only solution is to get people to turn their phones OFF, and that's not gonna happen, I'm afraid. We need those jammers.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I agree on the jammers!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-21-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Sometimes you have to let it pass.
Unfortunately cell phone use in theaters has grown into a pretty common problem. Most theaters don't allow smoking and won't put up with a number of other disruptive types of behavior. I think cell phone use needs to be included in that list of "not allowed" activities.

quote: Eric Hooper
There's no use fighting it. Cell phones and texting is here to stay, and almost everyone has one now, and many are using them in the theatres.
In all fairness, most movie-goers do not screw around with their phones in the theater. A minority of socially inept jerks are doing it and the behavior should not be tolerated. A dozen or so phone using douches should not be allowed to screw up the movie going environment for everyone else.

IMHO, use of mobile phones in theaters is just one example to show how the practice of good manners has serious declined in the United States. Lots of people just don't know how to behave in public much less be considerate of other people.

People of Wal-Mart is an often hilarious web site to visit. But if I pull up the site in the wrong mood it will make my blood boil. It's one thing for trashy people to stroll around sporting the latest in fashion disasters, but it really shows how far America's standards have slipped when people can walk around wearing t-shirts with vulgar messages printed huge on their chest or back. Decades ago the act of wearing a shirt with a giant F-bomb printed on it could get one arrested and charged with public indecency.

I think the situation will continue to get worse until various businesses and institutions grow a pair of balls and put a stop to that sort of crap.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I consider the crackle of munching popcorn, not to mention the rustling of the paper bag, along with the crunching of nacho chips, to be a far more serious offense than the light from a cellphone.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
A minority of socially inept jerks are doing it and the behavior should not be tolerated.
I have no problem telling someone to shut off their damn phone, but it's tough when the offender is dead center in a row of seats. I don't want to stand there during the movie waving my arms trying to get the person's attention, and I don't want to crawl over the other people to get to the offender. Just about any action would upset the other people in the vicinity. I'd love to hear how others deal with the problem of an offender in the middle of a crowded row.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-22-2010 04:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that's when you send in the usher to walk up and down the isle near the offender. In his breast pocket he carries THIS effective and harmless, confrontation-less device:

-

No muss, no fuss. The ahole's call is dropped; problem solved.

Or even better, you can put one of these in the booth port window:  -

-- just press a button and SHAZAM, cellphone activity dumped; again, problem solved. No disrupting other patrons dealing with him/her and the cellphone.

And yes, the FCC does have a stupid 1930s rule that should be rethought and modernized, perhaps establishing a LICENSE that can be given to certain establishments which can show that harm is being done to their business in the way of customers being annoyed and inconvenienced -- theatres, restaurants, museums and the like. The license would allow those who apply and are approved, to transmit their own signal -- one designed to force cellphones to drop calls.

The UK allows it and the world hasn't been dislodged on its axis because some fools can't use their cellphones for 90 minutes -- you know, the ones who think they are soooo important that they HAVE to be reachable 24/7.

But until the FCC considers such a variance or license, I see no problem in propagating a jamming signal WITHIN MY ESTABLISHMENT for just a minute or two that, yes, might inconvenience one or two inconsiderate people, but it insures that hundreds of others are NOT inconvenience by those who seem to think "freedom of speech" covers every rude and obnoxious behavior under the sun in which the self-centered, pimply little twits want to indulge.

If the FCC happens to 1) be right there at the exact time I transmit the 60 second jam and 2) observes me doing it, and they 3) are able to document it, then I will 1) pay their fine and 2) call all the local media and twitter it and facebook it and make it a personal cause célèbre. I'd wring more publicity out of it than I could ever buy with three times whatever the FCC fine is. Not to mention, a real media outcry might just embarrass the FCC enough that they would actually review the ban on preventing cellphone reception in certain businesses. It's a win win situation!

Plus, it would be soooo hoopla-worthy to be able to turn an FCC fine into a publicity stunt. [beer]

Oh yah, I am with Joe -- what's a White Out?

And lastly, what makes them think they will be able to change the selfish behavor of this twitter generation? You see how well the "Please turn your cellphones off" campaign worked; they've been pushing that "social pressure" campaign since the days of beepers. A lot of good that's done.

No, I say jammers is the answer. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: