Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Houston Theater operations information

Author Topic: Houston Theater operations information
George Simmons
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2010 09:46 PM      Profile for George Simmons   Author's Homepage   Email George Simmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My organization is currently in talks to acquire a theater in Houston. I would like to speak with anyone who has information on the community and persons interested in possible staffing positions.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2010 05:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Houston is really humid and nasty. I don't know why anyone would want to live there, but its true...people actually do.

Oh wait, you're from Florida. Nevermind. You'll love it. [Razz]

(In case you wanted a more useful answer, you might want to list a ballpark area of Houston that you are inquiring about. Houston is a really big town and one area is nothing like another area.)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 10:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Brad. Different parts of town have completely different demographics and as such completely different movie types that do well.

George Simmons
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2010 06:39 AM      Profile for George Simmons   Author's Homepage   Email George Simmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA HA Brad actually I grew up in a small town in Florida I HATE heat, big cities and humidity. However I am considering this theater for a pilot project. As for the area its in Plazamericas Mall Sharpstown center area of town. From what I understand this is a more hispanic lower income area of town. My knowledge of Houston is limited to knowing where it is on a map. As for theater operations I generally wanted to know the atmosphere among the theater operators and distributors in the area. Also would be looking for local personal for management if possible as opposed to doing an open call nationwide. Thanks for any input you all have

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George good luck with the Sharpstown theater, in my 35 years of servicing the Sharpstown theater in Houston, 5-different compancies took over the theater & all pulled out within 4-6-years, don't know if the business was not there, theater was not run correctly, or mall management problems The longest theater owners was Lowes, they pulled out in the late 80's, Dollar Cinemas was there 4-years, 2-others pulled out 5-6 years after taken over the theater, The last owner was there 5-years & closed the theater & pulled out all the projection equipment, & it has been closed for the past three years, there has been a few theater chains looking into the theater but no takers....& yes it is hot here....."Damn Hot" !!! Good luck on your new adventure....

George Simmons
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2010 08:28 AM      Profile for George Simmons   Author's Homepage   Email George Simmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don it very well could be the competition you have Regal AMC both large theaters with digital projection. From my research the city has several second run theaters in pretty good condition as well. This theater actually still has its equipment evidently when the huricanes damaged the mall the theater pulled out but the mall owner bought out everything thinking they would reopen it but never did. We are planning on a community approach with the theater operations. It will still be run as a first run theater however we will be using the profits to fund educational programs in the community. Our goal is to compete with the competition with good movies and a knowledge that when you come and watch a movie here you are lining the heads of students with education not the pockets of a shareholder. We are still in talks with the mall and have not signed a final agreement however they have given approval to move forward with the project planning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: