Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Portion pack jalapenos, pickles, etc.

Author Topic: Portion pack jalapenos, pickles, etc.
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 09:50 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the occasional request for nachos -- depending on film, more than occasional -- but not enough to justify buying large containers of jalapenos. We've been using a small, canned product that's actually pretty good, but we still end up throwing away half a can after a couple of days.

I finally found Texas Tito's, who make portion pack jalapenos and other products. a 300ct box is about $65, so 21.6 cents a pack. The jalapenos have a pretty good texture -- not mushy -- and taste. We charge 50 cents for jalapenos, so it's better than throwing away unused product. It's also significantly faster and less labor intensive than dipping out, or pre-packing, peppers.

They also have pretty good brineless dill pickles, sliced onions and carrots that have been pickled in jalapeno juice, etc.

So if anyone else has been trying to find a way around wastage for peppers, you may want to give Chris Snider a call. He can be reached at 830-626-1123. He sent some samples out to me, so he would probably be willing to do the same for interested parties.

As an aside, I found them after stumbling on a website catering to institutional -- read prison -- food service.

Texas Tito's

-David

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 10:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema/prison: not a very large stretch! Louis

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of "large container" are you buying your bulk jalapenos in? We get ours in 1 gallon, plastic jars with screw on lids. Sam's Club has them. After you open the can, are you leaving it open to air? Jalapenos should last months in their jars if they're being resealed and refrigerated. Literally months. If you want to have small cups prepared, buy some 2 oz. plastic cups with lids and portion out however many you wish. Paying that much per portioned cups seems really expensive, unless you're charging the customer for the jalapenos, which we do not.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 11:35 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

We weren't even dealing with 1 gallon jars, just pint jars and we still end up throwing away most of a jar. We must have a slightly more aggressive food inspection around here, because if they see something sitting around open -- if the seal is compromised, it's "open" -- for months, we would be in BIG trouble. Even two or three weeks is an issue that we don't want to chance.

We do charge for jalapenos. "If we pay for it, you pay for it." [Wink]

That way, people who don't want jalapenos aren't covering the cost for those who do.

And portioning into smaller cups has the same incremental labor cost -- if not more -- as just tonging them out, though it does save time at the stand when dispensing.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-17-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to remember, jalapenos last MUCH longer if you leave them in the brine/juice they were sent in.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
One thing to remember, jalapenos last MUCH longer if you leave them in the brine/juice they were sent in.
Right, but how long a product is actually good for has almost nothing to do with health code requirements. [Wink]

-David

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-17-2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just saying that I've worked with people who'd dump that shit out and wonder why the stuff was bad within a few days.

Another idea is if you're using so little jalapenos but want to buy bulk size to save money, perhaps you should just repackage into smaller jars and freeze.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2010 08:46 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have remarkable food safety restrictions in Ohio. In 11 years, my health inspector has never glanced at our Jalapenos, except when she is checking the temperature of the cooler.

How would the inspector know when you opened the jar, anyway? Chris is right about leaving it in the juice. They last a really long time in that stuff. I have a jar of pickles in my refrigerator at home that currently have an expiration date of May, 2011. I honestly don't know how long they have been in there. I didn't buy them in the past few weeks, I know that. There is nothing on the jar that says, "Use within XX time of opening." My jalapenos at work are the same. Are you sure your health code requirements specify how quickly a jar of jalapenos must be used? That just sounds crazy, but I have never lived in Ohio. Ask your inspector for the number of days a jar must be used after opening. I doubt they give you a definitive answer.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2010 05:55 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
How would the inspector know when you opened the jar, anyway?
Around here they ask.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Anslem said. The inspector asks when open jars were opened. And before anyone says, "well, just lie", I'd like to point out that one of the several things I won't risk is our food/alcohol/occupancy licenses.

An inspector was telling me that if they are suspicious about open containers, they'll mark it without the licensee's knowledge, then stop back a couple of weeks later. If they ask how long it's been open and the licensee says anything less than the last visit, it's an automatic critical violation. And, they'll never trust that guy again, which means increased scrutiny.

So to finish off my part of this thread:

I'm not stupid. I understand that pickled products actually have a very long shelf life, even after being opened. I often have an open jar of Bubbies pickles --- mmm, brined, no vinegar in sight -- that have been open for a couple of months that I pull pickles from. And I frequently keep kimchi at home. It's open for months, but just tastes better all the time. I understand that I could pack the bulk peppers in smaller containers, or individual portions. That doesn't solve the inspection issue, nor does it reduce the labor required to deal with portioning out the peppers. So for my situation , Texas Tito's was the solution.

My reason for posting the original message was just to help anyone else who may be looking for THIS solution -- portion packed peppers and pickles.

</ChannelD>

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-21-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
I'm not stupid.
Clearly, I couldn't have made my earlier observation for any other reason than thinking that you were a moron. [Roll Eyes]

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
those are some strict inspectors and I get where you're coming from now. Have you always charged for jalepenos? or just now that you've switched to the portion pack?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-21-2010 02:54 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, if it was missed I was suggesting repackaging... and freezing the extra, which would (I believe but I could be wrong) make you in full compliance with the safety inspectors.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We put out jalapeņos in 2oz souffle cups, with lids, and keep them in a small fridge in our snack bar. They last quite a while. And no, we do not charge people for jalapeņos.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-26-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often find that all places have strict health codes, just some inspectors are more strict than others. As for jalapenos, we keep ours in a plastic container over a bed of ice to keep them cool. Whatever we don't use gets covered and placed back in the refrigerator.

I do know that once a container is opened, the contents need to be transferred to an appropriate airtight container. Have you tried opening the original jar/can and moving them to a cambro container? Restaurants do this all the time with jams, jellies, salad dressings etc. Perhaps it's just the fact that your jalapenos are in their original container?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: