Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Two-tiered auditorium pricing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Two-tiered auditorium pricing?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was visiting a local theatre today and took a look at their smallest screen. I think it was 50 seats, screen was maybe 11' wide and only sat in front of the first row about 5'. I couldn't believe how small it was.

That got me thinking about my only option for expansion here. There are two attached storefronts that are virtually identically sized to the auditorium I saw today. If one of the tenants were to leave, I could probably convince the landlady to merge one of the store front with the theatre, at least as far as rent and renovation was concerned.

I can solve all of the technical problems re: projection and sound, but I would feel really shabby charging people full price for watching a show in it. I could use it as a move-over and then drop the ticket price a bit. Advertise it as the "Director's Screening Room Special" or something like that.

Have anyone seen this -- reduced pricing for reduced auditoria -- elsewhere?

I really, really, wouldn't want to charge full price for something like that.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can really fix it up like a real screening room (look a Brad's) you can charge MORE to go there.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Martin; make it a premium experience.

Deck it out with Hitchcock mementos (chair, megaphone, clapper) and call it a "Studio Screening Room." Louis

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local art house here has three screens. One of which is a converted dressing room. It has no slope and echoes dues to a metal roof and no sound absorbent anywhere. It is small (~50seats) and gets the same pricing as the other screens.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-12-2010 11:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put in a cocktail bar and make it a VIP room. [Big Grin]

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 11:54 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

We have 2 smaller rooms that seat 40-60 people. The throw is 32'. We still have 20' width screens and people like the rooms just fine (probably because we have couches and loveseats in them which people like). Can be hard to find lens though.

Can you put a pretty good size screen in there?

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Do you have any problems booking films for the smaller screens or with the studios allowing you to move films from the larger screens after only 1 or 2 weeks?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - we had the exact same idea here. The bar next door went out of business because their building was condemned. But then the owner wanted too much for the space than we were willing to pay, considering we would have to basically tear-down and rebuild. So eventually some local guys bought it, fixed the problems and reopened it as a bar, which is now thriving (damn it).

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David -- Arena Grand or Gateway? Both have small rooms.

Anyway, I agree with making it a premium experience with an enhanced price. Put in very nice chairs and tables...maybe even a love seat or two for couples. Maybe you could hook up with Chef Hubert at Spagio and bring over food from there. Offer Jeni's Ice Cream...that's just up the street. Put the emphasis on the quality of the environment and you will have something no one else in town can offer. On off nights, you could set up a movie and dinner special,matching the movie to food. The Wexner very quietly offered a dinner/movie package with Trattoria Roma this summer and I think they did pretty well with that. You could offer something like that without having to move from a restaurant to a theatre.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "private screensings" & birthday parties in there on off nights. One price for all seats as a whole. Louis

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Do you have any problems booking films for the smaller screens or with the studios allowing you to move films from the larger screens after only 1 or 2 weeks?

No, rarely does a movie play in these rooms on their second week. If one does, usually not much of a problem as we are a low grossing theater (seasonal first-run plus-meaning not full-time first run but we do get first-run most of the time). 30 tickets sold to a show would be rare and usually only happens around the holiday times.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell IFC Center has a tiny 30 seat theater they have no shame about charging $13 for, with bad digital slide show projection and a BluRay player. I know Bow Tie Cinemas also has what were intended as private screening rooms in New Haven, that are now digital auditoriums (mostly used for independent films), I believe they also charge full price. Generous your considering thinking about charging less.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it done in London. Where some of the cinemas in Leicester square charge one price for their 1600 seater main auditorium, and a lower price for the minis.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.princecharlescinema.com

This Cinema had to twin recently, it is the only independent second-run house in the UK that doesn't get funding, and they have 'rep' and 'move-over' prices for their auditoria.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 04:08 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you put in half the effort that hard-core home theater enthusiasts put into their setups, you could charge a premium!

An auditorium doesn't have to be big in size, but it should be well-proportioned. The picture should be perfect, and so should the sound. I would imagine that there is a low-water mark for the size of the room, as anyone going into a commercial location would expect something larger than a 20x30 room.

An 11-foot screen in a commercial location is too small, IMO. It's one thing if it's a theater located in a hotel, where it would be treated as an amenity for guests, but it's another for a movie theater application.

The auditoriums at the Gold Class Cinemas in South Barrington, Illinois only seat about 40-50 people, but the seats are very luxurious and widely spaced. I can't recall how wide the screen was, but I'm going to guess that it was around 25 feet. I would have no hesitation about attending another movie there, but I would be very willing to do without the waiter service in exchange for a more reasonable ticket price. That is fine for an occasional movie, but too expensive when you just want to watch something like The Expendables.

Once digital cinema equipment gets more economical, I'm hoping that smaller auditoriums will become more popular. Show a greater variety of movies in a better environment to smaller groups of people, with the emphasis on the "better environment" aspect. UltraScreens and XD screens are great and all, but give me a kick-ass presentation in a smaller environment, and I'll be just as happy!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: