Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Opposite of 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Opposite of 3D
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-05-2010 07:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed the local Carmike theatres are advertising the non-3D versions of 3D movies as 2D?

Are other chains doing this? Or is this just some idiotic marketing gimmick from Carmike. The local Rave does not advertise as 2D.

Are we headed to the point where all non-3D movies are sold as 2D?

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 09:45 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D is being pushed so heavily in advertising that customers have begun assuming it is showing in 3D everywhere. When a title has a 3D version, I have been specifying 2D on my movieline and on the poster cases for over a year and all theatres should do the same for the convenience of their customers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "2D" listed at other theaters. IMHO, it's a good move to distinguish the difference. Some people think 3D is great and are willing to pay the premium for it. A backlash is occurring with other customers and they're seeking 2D versions. Our local Carmike theater got a few complaints about no 2D version of Toy Story 3 being available. Obviously some people want 2D instead of 3D.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-05-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should start complaining about no film being available at these all DLP theaters.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think because of the way the advertising for these movies pushes the 3D, if you were only to list the title of the movie i.e "Toy Story 3" customers would automatically assume that they are getting the 3D version.

When the first couple of 3D films came out (before my place had 3D installed), we were showing 2D versions and just listing the title of the movie...complaints came a plenty.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get the same complaints. All of the posters, trailers and promo materials push the 3D, but also state in really tiny letters "also available in theatres and Imax".

I've taken my poster images I use for our website and airbrushed out the 3D references and added a "35mm 2D Presentation" tag somewhere on the poster. Until they make marketing materials for the 75% of screens that don't have 3D, I guess we have to be creative.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-06-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just SAY it is 3D, give them some neutral gray glasses and let them be so disappointed with the "3D" effects they will bad mouth 3D to all of their friends and you won't ever have to upgrade [evil]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2010 04:28 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's up with the new Saw movie being called Saw 3D (Instead of Saw VII 3D)

[Roll Eyes] Are customers going to think it's a 3D re-issue of the first one. Presumably the DVD/Blueray release with have to call it Saw VII.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-08-2010 03:01 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone has lost track of how many Saw movies there are anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. Saw has basically turned into a serial with a new chapter appearing every Halloween.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-08-2010 07:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the NY market, they are running most 3D film ads with the "in 3D and 2D" tags, with 2D as prominant as the 3D font.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Martin, all non-3D films ARE 2D (width and height without the depth of 3D). I agree that's it's a good idea to post a 3D film as 2D if that's the way it's being run.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 08:19 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll start promoting my films as
"In Authentic 2- D!!!!"
or "Two Dimensions for the Price of One!!"
[Wink]

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Or just SAY it is 3D, give them some neutral gray glasses and let them be so disappointed with the "3D" effects they will bad mouth 3D to all of their friends and you won't ever have to upgrade
Martin... I love that, it's a great idea!

Being that I am a 2nd run theatre, still using that out dated antiquated 35mm film equipment, and can't show 3D films in 3D, I always advertise those films are in 2D. In fact I think that actually helps my business. A good example is Shrek 4 which was disapointing to most, but it was the best Shrek of all of them for me. In fact it is my 2nd highest grossing film this year.

I now place in my ads: Shown in 2D, No Glasses, No Headaches, and NO high prices!

It seems to help... what more can I say.

I'm tempted to say: 3D, if you don't get a headache from the picture, you will from the price!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Opposite of 3D????"

Just put the glasses on backwards! Louis

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you implying everyone will either get a headache or a ticket price shock from watching a 3-D movie, Richard? I have enjoyed many of those wonderful 30D movies in the fifties and some of the current ones and never got a headache. I have refused to see many of the recent ones because they did not appeal to my taste because they were animated and suited more for children. Even STEP UP 3-D that just opened this weekend was geared to young adults but I saw it and throughly enjoyed because of the excellent 3-D and it was live action. I have no problem paying extra to see a movie in 3-D if it is done right and entertaining like STEP UP 3-D and AVATAR

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: