Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Floor staff Training

Author Topic: Floor staff Training
Andy Linde
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Andy Linde   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Linde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been appointed the staff trainer of a 9 screen independent cinema in New Zealand. Currently the theatre has no training programme or paperwork at all so it's my job to tailor a training programme to suit our theatres needs.

Does anyone out there have any existing training paperwork; whether its manuals, checklists, models, industry standards, or techniques that I could have a look over?

I'd dedicated to providing an excellent level of training to my staff and would appreciate any help you could offer, or any advice you could give.

Thanks all,
Andy.

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2010 09:30 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can give you some advice but not any paperwork, it's all company stuff. I trained a lot of people at my old work, which went pretty well, don't do it currently as we haven't really employed that many people this year. I think the weaker economy has made people less willing to look for new jobs or leave theirs in the hope they'll get a new one easily.

In my experience training is normally divided in to a long 'induction' where the majority of the paperwork and essential training e.g evacuation and food safety is done, then a couple more shorter sessions on other areas.

I find it's best to keep training in short bursts of amaximum three hours a time, in groups of maybe 3-6, then let the new staff members finish a 6-8 hour shift on that area to get used to what they just learned, with the help of a trusted staff member 'buddied up' to them. I consider box office the easiest area to learn so if you have one do that last. A poorly trained staff member on the concession stand is the one that will cause you the most grief so I would concentrate on that area when training, especially if you can/do sell tickets from the stand.

If you have the money I would get new staff to shadow a Projectionist for a shift so they can get an understanding of the technical side of things, it would make life easier when things go wrong and all I hear on the radio is 'screen is broken' or second hand info from a guest, gives neither myself or the Projectionist any indication of the severity of the fault.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, here in the USA, most theatre chains' training focuses on health, safety and etiquette issues rather than how to actually do your job well. Also, any of us that are part of a larger chain, which is most of us, wouldn't be able to share such material.

My only suggestion would be to enter a theatre as a customer and absorb every aspect of operation. Then, ask yourself what you would have liked to see or how you would have liked to be interacted with throughout each of those points of contact. Base your manual off that, constantly reminding yourself what you would want as a customer, and you'll be well on your way.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 11:05 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think getting the staff to do their jobs well is not just about training, which is rightly focused on the essentials. If you have a culture where people are encouraged to take responsibility for their area of the business regardless of what level they are at, and to look out for and consider their colleagues not just on their shift but those coming in later on in the day or tomorrow, you will get more out of them. I defer to the more experienced people on here when it comes to achieving that though.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Communication between the staff members is key when developing a staff and even more important among managers. I also believe in fostering an environment where the employee is expected to think for his or herself before resorting to calling for help. I personally have noticed a drop in problem solving skills since the rise of cell phones. Many kids who have been trained in the booth (or the floor, for that matter) want to suddenly make a call instead of figure out the problem and attempt to solve it. Fire anyone who cancels a show due to a breakdown then does nothing but take pictures of said breakdown with his cell phone!

Permit the employee to develop their own style within a set range created by you. For example, when training you will obviously show somebody how to do something based on steps 1, 2, 3 and 4. However, if the employee accomplishes the task correctly, but using steps 1, 3, 2, 4 then let him or her go. One of the worst trainers I ever worked with was adamant things had to be his way, every way, every time. That was too bad because he was actually a very nice guy when not showing somebody how to do something.

Lastly, know your trainee and talk to him or her. Find out what sports they like, if they are married or have kids, or what they might be studying in school. As a high ranking American politician once said, "Its a lot easier to catch flies with honey than it is bear dung". If the employee sees you dive in and do the job correctly, they will want to do it too. Never ask someone you are training to do something that you would never do. Show by example and lead by example. You do that and you will build one hell of a staff . . . guaranteed.

Good luck.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2010 04:30 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
start with a good base, hiring is like cooking: If you start out with crappy ingredients no matter what you do, its still going to be a crappy meal

Jeff Logan
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2010 01:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Logan   Email Jeff Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to buy a copy of the NATO staff training DVD's. In them, you get the best ideas from all the big chains because they contributed their materials, tapes, books and ideas. About 10 years ago when they were made, several of the big chains needed to update their own training tapes but instead contributed their materials to the NATO effort. The NATO tapes really compile best industry practices and are still current. You can order them online at www.natoonline.org There is a discount for NATO members. They are done in a lighthearted style that will keep the attention of teen staffers. Each one is about 10 min. long. They cover all floor positions, safety, ratings enforcement, sexual harassment, and film projection.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2010 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they have a loan-out program on those videos for exhibitors that don't have hundreds of screens? Last time I checked, they were prohibitively expensive to buy. This is something that should really be on YouTube or somewhere like that.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2010 01:32 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its only $175 for the whole set of DVDs and I think thats before the member discount (if you're a member). It really depends on how much you think your time is worth, you'd be putting in a lot of hours, when it comes down to it I think that its more worth me spending $175 one time then putting in tons of time into a program, plus this way I don't miss anything that could come back to bite me one day

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-02-2010 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's way cheaper than it used to be...when these first came out they were something like $150 apiece for 8 or 9 VHS tapes.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-05-2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these are on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pccTraining

Though they probably won't be there for much longer once someone from NATO sees this.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-05-2010 06:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So download them now. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: