Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Incredible pix of historic theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Incredible pix of historic theatre
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 07:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Orpheum in New Bedford, MA. Built n 1912. Dark, supposedly, for 52 years. Money is being raised to restore it.
http://trigphotography.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=12621916&AlbumKey=C6rot

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother restoring it? It is already perfect! After all, it does have a painting on the ceiling. Just put in a Sanyo digital projector and tape a few sheets of notebook paper to the brick wall for a screen and you're done. The sound doesn't need any work because judging by the interior, the acoustics couldn't be better. And the seats still look usable and very comfortable. Patrons will feel as if they have been magically transported to modern day Detroit.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 08:46 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin!
Wow what a gem!The pictures are amazing also!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 10:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That B+W film looks rather suspect. Do you have anything to do with the restoration, Martin? Check that film's not nitrate if you do.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 10:54 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing pictures

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 08:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: I've got nothing to do with the restoration, wish I did. If I run into the folks from New Bedford at the LHAT conference, I'll warn them about the film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that this project has been going on for a few years now. I know that they had some sort of tour of the place a while back, but I was busy and couldn't make it.

New Bedford is a former whaling town, but is somewhat depressed right now. They have several historic theatres there, although the Zeiterion is the only one that is currently open (they have a theatre organ and seem to be reasonably successful with music and live performances).

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those photos have an odd, HDR-look to them, don't they?

They just look a little artificial, which distracts from being able to see the theater for what it is...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like something unearthed in an archeological dig! They should leave it alone and just install a pair of rebuilt Powers projectors and only run silent movies...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 07:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wonder what brand organ was in it

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-24-2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There doesn't seem to be a location for an organ. It probably didn't open as a cinema and became one in the '20s. Re-opening it as a public venue is going to be expensive with the wooden floor and balcony structure and likely all the interior structure is wood. Today's fire safety codes require an incredible number of sprinklers in wooden theatres.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
Those photos have an odd, HDR-look to them, don't they?

They just look a little artificial, which distracts from being able to see the theater for what it is...

I agree. I dislike this form of image manipulation generally, but it certainly does not befit this sort of documentary photography.

Joe, I think if you were to go to any of the existing historical theaters or cultural institutions in Detroit, you might be surprised at just how beautiful a city it is under the urban decay. The Redford Theatre is one example of how Detroit has successfully preserved high culture in the face of almost a half century of economic turmoil and depression, and there are easily a dozen others. In other words, make fun of Detroit if you will, but just know that Detroit will rise again and everyone else will be the butt of our jokes, and the jokes will be without mercy. You'll all be sorry.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-25-2010 02:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends on if you consider it documentary or art.

Thanks for the link to the Redford. I saw the outside when I visited Detroit, I wish I could have gotten into see the inside. Yes Detroit really has some great architecture, here's hoping it can be saved and revived.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
just know that Detroit will rise again and everyone else will be the butt of our jokes, and the jokes will be without mercy. You'll all be sorry.
Crap!!!! **runs and hides**

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-26-2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Detroit will rise again and everyone else will be the butt of our jokes, and the jokes will be without mercy. You'll all be sorry.
Somebody kidnapped Galen Murphy-Fahlgren and replaced him with Lex Luthor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: