Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Marcus No Sellout Guarantee (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Marcus No Sellout Guarantee
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the two Marcus outlets here is advertising a "No Sellout Guarantee", but gives no details. Can any of the Marcus folks here say exactly what that is?

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regency has been making the same offer at their Agoura Hills location (formerly a Mann Theatre until last year). I think it's just a marketing gimmick to hook people in to dead locations.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-31-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds pretty sad. But I guess it could appeal to some. But since it is a guarantee, what happens if something, by chance, does sell out? Refund for everyone?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 02:36 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall when Hollywood Video had a guarantee that the new releases would be in stock. One of the guys who worked there, when they did rent out all of the copies of the new release, simply told the inquiring customer "We're out."
I understand Hollywood Video isn't doing too well lately...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 07:15 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it's since closed, every time the local Hollywood Video was out of a guaranteed title, we were given a voucher to get it later for free.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
what happens if something, by chance, does sell out?
They probably kick out the three ticket-holders in some dead six-week-old movie in auditorium #24, and put the overflow crowd from "Iron Man 2" in there. So the picture is tiny ... nobody will care!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-01-2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's a poorly performing location that never does a good business for ANY movie, so they're trying to convince patrons to move over from the complex that has too much business.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sam has a good idea about this location.

This Marcus theatre (Marcus Crosswooda) is located about 3 miles south of a major shopping area. There is a RAVE 18-plex very close to the giant mall that does very very good business. The Marcus, although a very excellent facillity, is far enough away from the primary traffic patterns to have lost business to the RAVE. Another indicator is that number of restaurants near the Marcus that have closed.

The Marcus is located in an office/hotel type of area, while the RAVE is closer to the housing areas and heavier traffic.

The other Marcus facillity locally is NOT offering such a sellout guarantee. It is the only theatre in a growth area with very good traffic patterns.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-02-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound as though they're saying "Come to our slow theatre! If we happen to sell something out we'll be HAPPY to give you a pass to a future film."

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2010 04:58 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
exactly, what's the worst that could happen? They sell out? Thats great! then they give everyone a voucher to COME BACK AGAIN!

It's actually pretty brilliant, it should bring in people, and if you can really WOW them then they will stay. I've seen it happen, We are right next to a huge 24 plex, and I mean RIGHT next to, its one street over, yet we still sell out shows every weekend and are busy. Simply because people got fed up with the management at the 24plex and gave us a shot, once we got them in the door, our service and presentation got them Hooked and coming back. I think this is what that theater is trying to do, their problem is getting them in the door, but they are confident they can keep them once they are in the door.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One 'trick' they could be using is only offering the pass if there are no showings with seats available within a certain timeframe. This would be particularly useful if the cinema is busier in the afternoon than the evening.

If, for example, a time limit of 3 hours is used (usually enough to see the next show [especially if multiple prints are used]) and the 18:00 show is sold out customers get diverted to the 20:30 show then no passes are needed.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-06-2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think time limits are fair. If the 8 pm show is sold out, I'm not coming to the 10:30 if I have to be up early. A guarantee is a guarantee, not a guarantee only to be made good on within a certain time window.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time limit is 30 minutes, which I think is fair. Otherwise, like Mark guessed, you get a pass.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2010 05:24 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the voucher is only good for 6 days, so i'm sure they are betting that people won't use it within that timeframe. Either way, its a great way to bring people into your lobby, and sometimes that's the hardest thing to do.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-23-2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it at least borderline unethical to "guarantee" that there will be no sellouts, and then to respond only with a pass that is good for a limited time? It may get people into the lobby, but it may also lose some customers permanently.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: