Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Kites (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kites
Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 12:22 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone playing?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2010 12:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me on Friday.

Attached trailer on the head of reel 4.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be playing both versions: the original version this Friday, and then the Brett Ratner-destroyed "remix" next Friday. Can't wait.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing it, should be good. The Bollywood lineup has been atrocious recently, Housefull did OK but apart from that nothing since My Name Is Khan brought people in.

I read about the Brett Ratner edit on Monday, the BBFC ratings info suggest the UK is getting the original version as the language is stated as Hindi with subtitles. Fair play to the distributor for trying something different but I'd want the original cut given the choice.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2010 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what the hell is with theaters that break down Bollywood movies and then remove the cores from the reels? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cores are EXPENSIVE Joe!!!

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

I used to run Bollywood films in Berkley, CA for about 7 months at the former Fine Arts Cinema. The films almost always came on cores - and not the big kind - the type they use for trailers. Sometimes the cores would be pulled out. A real nighmare.

The films, if older, would also contain 100 + splices throughout the entire film and often with colored tape.

I was sure glad when this gig ended.

For those interested...the booth contained:

Phillips FP-20S projector
Lume-Ex Lamphouse (1600W)
"Tinney table" transport system with 15,000 reels.

Mike

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people break down Indian prints, they seem to like to arbitrarily cut at random places. "Oh, the reel's full, I guess I'll cut here. Next!" I've had Indian movies arrive where the can for reel 1 is empty because they did this. I've also had Indian prints arrive in trash bags... big brute trash bags! Appropriate, but still annoying. Perhaps most amusing is when they arrive on 6K reels. Did someone give up their 6K reels just to ship out an Indian print?

There needs to be a depot for Indian movies.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 09:17 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for volunteering for the job, Joe. I look forward to getting my future Bollywood prints from Redifer Cinema Depot. Maybe the prints will come on actual reels! What a hoot that would be.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to pick an Indian print up at the airport ... in a duffel bag at baggage claim...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You get someone elses Bollywood print? My first shift in Projection was spent throwing out the prints the distributors couldn't be bothered to pick up because it was too expensive.

I had a Tamil film come in a shopping trolley once. The day we move to a reliable digital distribution system for Indian films is going to be a happy one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-20-2010 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get your hopes up. Most of the time when Bollywood movies are run, it's just some random guy renting the auditorium, getting the movie from the distributor and selling his own tickets. It used to be when I got Bollywood films, they would be brand new, never cut, VERY loosely wound onto cores straight from the lab. But since we deal with different people now, they come in all shapes and sizes. Amazingly, this same guy is doing Kites all week, and it was a brand new print. Usually the ones that are in DTS and not subtitled are the ones in the worst condition, yet they somehow always include the discs. The ones in Dolby Digital are usually subtitled and 95% of the time are brand new, for me at least.

This guy does have a bunch of movies in our booth that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to take away. I'll have to ask him to take them unless he wants us to throw them out. I will steal the goddamned cores first.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hindi movies = Dolby Digital & Subtitled
Tamil, Telugu movies = DTS, not Subtitled, and prints bicycled all acrosss the country

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-21-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure! It's all moon language to me.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2010 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running it. We have one print, managment must be expecting it to do something since it's gone into our largest house.

I notice the other multiplx in town has it in about 3 screens, (one in digital!)

We'll see what it does, Housefull did good business when we opened that 2 weeks, but Badmarsh Company the week after did naff all.

I don't know what this is going to do, I not sure how much of a big pull Hrithik Roshan is. I know if you get a bollywood with Sharrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar or Salman Khan, they usually are the ones that do well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: