Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Charity Film

Author Topic: Charity Film
Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be hosting a benefit for an American Cancer Society's Relay for Life team. We want to sell tix that will include wine-tasting, h'orderves, a short talk by a previous owner of the theatre (now a history PhD) about history of movies in the area, and a tour of the building with all the remodeling we've done so far. Then we'll watch a movie. I'm trying to find something that will be a really good show for people to see.

Casablanca seems like it might be a good movie for this. Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia are just too long.

Any ideas on what might help make something like this a really great evening?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tip: Be aware that if you are playing a classic film you might have print issues. We played five classic movies for our 60th anniversary in 1990 -- Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, The Ten Commandments, The Wizard of Oz, and The Sound of Music. I was assured all the prints were good when we booked the movies, but the S-O-M print was faded beyond belief and there was no other print available.

I explained and apologized to people who were buying tickets, and they were understanding, but I was never so embarrassed as I was the three nights we played that film. Fittingly, it was the worst grosser of the five.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 09:18 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, older titles are often vault prints, so you'll need two projectors running in a changeover scenario.

-David

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex is all digital now.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 09:55 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A comedy is always appropriate for fundraisers. If you can set up a piano or organ, a silent film is fun novelty.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: