Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Iron Man 2 for FOUR weeks?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Iron Man 2 for FOUR weeks?!
Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Paramount requiring everyone to keep IM2 four weeks?

I got a call yesterday saying they needed me to keep it that long. I tried to get them let me split the screen for it starting on week three but that option is not available at this time.

Are they trying to keep some other studio's picture off the screen four weeks later? Is the picture a dog and they want to lock people in to it?

I can't keep something four weeks. It's like shutting down 1/3 of my theatre for those last two weeks.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to let me keep it a shorter time?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a single screen? If so, did you tell them you wanted Shrek? Or did you just book IM2?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-29-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told to expect this from more studios this year.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-29-2010 12:06 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly it's a big piece of crap, so they're probably trying to end your run to coincide with the DVD release.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I'm three-screen. I've been down to two screens for about three months while we remodeled one of them. That third screen is FINALLY reopening this weekend.

I was kind of stunned when he asked for that much time for the show. I left him a message and will try contacting him again later to see if there's any way to work out a shorter run with extensions if my box passes a set amount on a weekend.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard it was a requirement, but I had planned on keeping it that long anyway. Being a drive-in with "double features", I had planned on having it paired behind Shrek Forverafter on Memorial Day weekend anyway.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 08:43 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if they have the 4 week requirement for second prints, and/or digital copies?

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2nd copies are usually just 2 weeks. If you do not get this on the break, I would imagine you can get it at the beginning of week 3 without much trouble.

so far: IMDB 8.7, 76% Rotten Tomatoes. More than good enough for the mainstream.

Iron Man (the first one) IMDB 8.0, 93% RT

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked with my good friend who ran this theatre for about 25 years. I trust him completely when it comes to advice in this area. He told me I was being foolish NOT to book it. Some day I'll figure out how to tell when I'm being stubborn and when I should be justifiably upset about this kind of thing. Sigh.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you apparently don't use a booker? This is a time when a booker might have been able to cut a better deal for you maybe. Just a thought.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 12:34 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use a booker. There are some times when I wish I was using one (like now). Most of the time I enjoy doing it myself.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good it a be a digital thing? Alex is digital vs film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, our booker told me that there's really no difference between film & digital when it comes to booking...they still make about the same number of copies of a film as normal (prints+drives=copies).

But he has noticed shortages of film prints already in this area on some titles...in fact if we don't play a Warner title on the break, it's very likely we won't play it at all because WB doesn't like to move prints, and by the time an area print is available to us the DVD date is looming.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that people who are serous about this biz always employ the services of a booker. You are not going to get any kinda deal for yourself compared to someone booking 60 screens with the same title... just no way, no how. The only ones I've seen pull it off themselves at all successfully are sub run locations and lots of the time they just pay a flat rate anyway.

Mark

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest booking advantage I have enjoyed since I converted to digital is that the studios will commit to a playdate when I'm playing something off the break.

That way I know I am getting the movie and can promote.

Also, Summit gave me a copy of Remember Week one week off the break. Would have never happened with film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: