Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Becoming a general manager (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Becoming a general manager
Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 01:08 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Here's the issue. I'm currently a college student studying hospitality administration, through our studies I'm realizing that even the "hard" stuff is basically what I've learned from this industry in the past 3 years of working for it. A lot of people are saying that I'm a prodigy (jokingly of course), I know that if a first assistant position opened I would apply for it and probably get it, and then hopefully move on to a GM position.

I was wondering if anyone has/is a GM or 1st assistant at a Regal location, if they could tell me if it's worth it or if they regret anything. I know some things may be confidential but I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to continue with college or continue with a career in the industry.

I know what the job entails (especially for first assistant) but I'm just wondering if the pay is decent, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been almost 10 years since I worked for Regal, but as first assistant the pay really sucked (21k /yr gross) compared to what my GM was making plus commissions (65k+ /yr gross). And you're basically doing everything the GM does, especially when the GM is on vacation. Just my 2 cents.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2010 04:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and you're covering your privates all the time, for "the buck stops here" with that position.

Kinda ain't too fair when you're doing a 65k/yr job for 10 buck/hr .... really ....

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 03:14 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I was only thinking first assistant because it is doing the GM's job for a bit, until I could get the hang of it and then apply for a GM position somewhere. Just noticing from all the postings going around a lot of GM positions are opening up constantly

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Montes
Just noticing from all the postings going around a lot of GM positions are opening up constantly
That's usually not a good sign unless they're new locations.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a similar position in 1997. Although I worked for an independent chain, an assistant management position opened in which I was asked to fill. The debate was quit college with only one year left till graduation, or take the job. I stayed in school.

Thirteen years later I have a degree, but only utilize it for part time work. I still work for that independent chain as the head projectionist, but with digital on the horizon, I do more thinking about overstaying my welcome than I used to. Point is: I ain't getting any younger if I plan to start over in another career.

Last night, just to see what my wife would say, I floated the idea of joining one of the big chains as a GM. She was not amused. Next year marks 20 years I have worked in the motion picture industry. In all that time, nobody - not one - person who was or is close to me ever respected what I do in that industry.

Make your dispositions accordingly . . .

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've come to expect that, I know its not a "respectable" job, but from what i've heard the salaries vary, but the average is decent and livable.

I enjoy very much being an associate manager now, and think that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life, but I wanted to make sure that the jump from fun associate doesn't turn into "i hate my life" GM

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-03-2010 11:49 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to make sure that the jump from fun associate doesn't turn into "i hate my life" GM
That'll happen no matter what your career. [evil]

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, I hope not

Don't know the exact quote but
Love what you do and you'll never work another day in your life

thats what i'm hoping

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 07:04 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, and everyone else on the board, allow me to bore you for a few moments with a sad story.

When I was 18, I had finished my first year in college, when I went home for the summer. A couple days after I got home, some friends and I went to see a movie at one of the local theatres, and on a lark, I applied for a job. Got an interview the next day, was hired and told to come in on Friday to start... only to discover upon arriving on my first day that I had already been fired. It seems the managers and the staff of this theatre were robbing the place blind, and everyone on staff had gotten the boot the day after I was hired. It was clear the new manager needed the help, so I was able to talk my way back in to a job. I told him straight up that I didn't know any of those people, that I had been going to school 400 miles away up until seven days previous and I hadn't even started yet, and I made a deal with him: that if I was not the best employee he ever had after two weeks, I would leave and we'd never have to see each other again.

Four weeks later, he promoted me to assistant. And I've been doing this for most of the last 24 years. I did quit school after trying to juggle work and studies for a year, but I wasn't really all that much in to school anyway. College should be a place of discovery, and all I discovered was that they weren't going to teach me the things I wanted to learn when I wanted to learn them. I had to follow their rigid structure about what could be learned when, and I had already learned all the stuff they were making me take as a freshman and sophomore.

I've been a GM with UATC (pre-Regal), Landmark, an independent theatre, Mann and now Rave. All of them had their ups and downs, and their positives and negatives. Do I regret choosing working at a movie theatre over what I might have accomplished had I stayed in school? Not one bit. No matter how many times things don't always go the way I would have preferred them to go, and it still happens far more often than I would hope, I still love what I do, and I have the added benefit at my current location of startomg to breathe life back in to a once-popular theatre that fell on hard times the past ten years.

So in the end, the question you need to ask yourself if how much do you love what you do? Because all the money in the world isn't going to make a job you hate worth it. The few times I've left the theatres, I did make more money at those new jobs than what I was making at the theatre, but I didn't really get much satisfaction, because I didn't love what I did. I did them for the paycheck, and that's a crappy way to live.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Becoming a general manager
Why would you ever want to do this? That's about as exciting as becoming a businessman.

quote:
I was wondering if anyone has/is a GM or 1st assistant at a Regal location,
You work for Regal? Uh oh. They are on to you, now. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. You cannot be a general manager for Regal and post on Film-Tech at the same time. They really threaten their employees about what they do in their private lives and they try to control you outside of the job as well.

So, if you are serious about getting ass-raped oops I mean promoted by Regal, cancel your Film-Tech account right now. We'll always welcome you here, but Regal sure won't. Also, cancel Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc... or at least block them sufficiently so that no other member of the company can see them.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't comment on this thread other than to say I really do actually enjoy what I do for a living. If I didn't I would have quit a long time ago.

Take it or leave it - I enjoy this crazy business.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-04-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the original poster: if you like customer-service work, consider hotel and/or restaurant management as well. There are more opportunities for growth than in the film exhibition industry, and the hotel/restaurant industry is larger and more likely to have openings near where you want to live.

I don't know if this is the case for hotels and restaurants, but I agree that assistant managers at movie theatres tend to get screwed. Often, they get paid less than the projectionist, yet have equal or greater responsibility. The only reason to take this sort of job would be if you could do so with a guarantee that you would be the nth person in line for a full manager position in the future. Otherwise, it's just a gamble.

That said, there are some very good movie theatre managers out there, and I am happy to have known and worked for some of them. If that is the job that would make you happiest, then I would encourage doing it.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I would do is see if current GMs have college degrees. If they do, finish college. Their many ways to accomplish that these days vs 20 years ago.

I have a MBA as well, and IMHO it is not worth very much. But, many in the corporate world value college degrees. So again, look at other jobs you might want to aspire to and see what they need. If it is a degree, then get it.

How much more do you have left to graduate?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 01:55 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
Their many ways to accomplish that these days vs 20 years ago.
The above sentence really shows what a college degree can do for you. When did 'their' become short for there are?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: