Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cell phone user sues after theater armrest hits her on the head (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cell phone user sues after theater armrest hits her on the head
Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Taj Showers, settling in for a matinee with her 10-year-old son, did just that as The Incredible Hulk was doing his thing on the big screen. She clicked her vibrating phone and hunched forward to "discreetly" hold her conversation, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Cook County Circuit Court. But it was as she was leaning forward, her head tilted to the side that an upright armrest fell in to position -- bonking her so hard, she says, that she went to the hospital with a concussion.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2121672,showers-suit-cell-movie-armrest-hit-head-032410.article

I think it's karma, don't talk on your phone during a movie. Plus if an arm rest hit her hard enough to cause a concussion and "cause her to drop out of school due to blurred vision" a year after the accident, then maybe it was a kind patron behind her who gave the arm rest a little help [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-28-2010 12:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did this happen, 3 years ago? What theater is still showing a Hulk movie? I think about all she might be entitled to is an apology from the manager for having such a loose armrest. But I have never seen an armrest so heavy that it could give anyone a concussion. Something's fishy here.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 01:00 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way to prove her symptoms were from this specific incident - maybe she's into autoerotic asphyxiation on the side! This one will have a hard time standing up in court, then again for talking on a cell phone during the show she probably deserves to be smacked upside the head.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 01:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to visualize how her head could be in such a position that even a loose armrest would have sufficient range of motion to actually hit her on the head. Even if she was ducking below the level of the seats in front of her, the arm rest would almost certainly hit her shoulder before her head. I would really be interested in see someone make a video trying to replicate a position where this was even possible.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 01:49 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she was doing something else 'down there'. [Eek!]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-28-2010 02:35 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised the headline wasn't "Golden Showers Opportunity as Armrest Thumps Thickhead on Mobile in Movie"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-28-2010 10:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I'm trying to visualize how her head could be in such a position that even a loose armrest would have sufficient range of motion to actually hit her on the head.
^^This.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 11:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one seems to have gotten it, this isn't a case of a fixed-armrest hitting her. It sure sounds like it was where the armrest is able to be moved up and out of the way. She leaned forward (and apparently to the side a bit) and the armrest hit her in the head (likely the back of it since she's got the blurred vision and all).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry but something is not right with this story. Those fold up arm rests are just not heavy enough to cause that kind of injury. There has to be more too this than what is being report in the new story, either for or against the plaintiff. Unfortunately, like most of these kind of stories, we are unlikely to hear about the outcome.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like maybe she bent down to talk on the phone and hit the back of the arm rest of the seat in front of her. Either way she is a dummy and this lawsuit is frivilous.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 12:21 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
It sounds to me like maybe she bent down to talk on the phone and hit the back of the arm rest of the seat in front of her. Either way she is a dummy and this lawsuit is frivilous.
The way it reads, the armrest fell from where it had been and to her head. Assuming she isn't lying, that definitely isn't hitting the one in front of her.

quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Those fold up arm rests are just not heavy enough to cause that kind of injury.
Depends. It really doesn't take that much force to cause a concussion. And it could be these armrests were ones that were extremely heavy. Though the woman will have a hard time proving her case.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 12:43 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only wish it read "Woman sues after irate customer knocks cell phone out of her hand, kicks her over and stomps on her head."

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 01:31 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all probability the insurance company will wave a few dollers in front of her and there will be a settlement. More costly to go to court. That may or may not be fair, but that's the way it works the majority of the time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2010 03:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the lady is lying her ass off just to get a big pay day. Her story is absolute bullshit. There's not enough weight in a theater chair arm rest to cause a concussion if it dropped down from the upright position. At the very worst you might get a small bump on your head. That's about it.

Maybe if someone ripped the arm rest from his chair and beat her in the head with it I could believe that would cause a concussion. I think the judge needs to take his gavel and beat her about the teeth and gums for wasting the court's time.

Connor Kirkwood
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Connor Kirkwood   Email Connor Kirkwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rigging all of our armrests to do this whenever someone starts talking on a cell phone during the feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: