Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Patrons 'reel' mad about theater food searches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Patrons 'reel' mad about theater food searches
Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From last weekend's Stamford (CT) Advocate:

Patrons 'reel' mad about theater food searches
By John Burgeson

When Devon Pfeifer visited the Bow-Tie Cinemas in Norwalk recently with two friends to see "Alice in Wonderland," she was subjected to a staff search of her handbag.

The Fairfield resident's friends, Westporters Barbara Reynolds and Harriette Heller, had their handbags searched, too. And, according to Pfeifer, most of the women at the movie complex that night had their handbags searches, too.

"They weren't searching the guys with the big, bulky coats, just the women," she said.

"And they were just searching the people going to the highest-attended movies, not the ones that had been playing for three weeks." She said the people "who were doing it were doing what they were told to do."

Pfeifer, the chairwoman of Fairfield's Democratic Town Committee, said bag searches "made a mockery" of the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which protects citizens against unreasonable searches and seizures.

The searches were being made not for weapons or other contraband, but to prevent patrons from sneaking food into the theaters.

The CEO of Bow-Tie Cinemas, Joseph Masher, last week apologized for the episode and admitted that "perhaps the staff was a bit overzealous that evening." He said he would like "to offer my sincerest apology to the three ladies and to anyone else who felt violated. I can assure you it will not happen again."

But Masher said that the problem of people smuggling food into theaters is one that plagues movie complexes from coast to coast.

"For instance, we have had incidents in the past where guests have accidentally spilled piping hot coffee onto another guest, guests who have left food containers and pizza boxes on the floor that have caused slipping hazards and ice cream containers left on floors that others have slipped and fallen over," Masher said. "Additionally, the air in the theater is often permeated with offensive odors from outside foods, and we strive to ensure our guests have a positive experience."

As a result, Masher said, it's "the policy of Bow-Tie Cinemas to not allow outside food or drink to be brought into the theater."

Jeff Meyer, a professor at the Quinnipiac University School of Law, said last Friday the Fourth Amendment applies only to searches performed by government personnel.

"Shopping malls and movie theaters are free from Fourth Amendment constraints," he said.

"So then the question would be whether she would have claim under invasion of privacy laws, for example, whether the search was not adequately announced," Meyer said. "And to the extent that they're drawing gender classifications, well, that could also be trouble."

A check of the Bow-Tie Cinema in Trumbull, which has 16 movie screens, last week revealed that there are no signs announcing any policy that prohibits patrons from bringing in food from the outside. And this reporter attending a matinee screening of "Alice in Wonderland" was able to bring in his own 8.75-ounce bag of Honey Nut Chex Mix without being questioned by theater staff.

Pfeifer said that there also are no signs about the outside food ban at the Norwalk Bow-Tie Cinema.

Pfeifer, who wrote about the episode in a letter to the editor that was published in the Fairfield Citizen, said that she didn't intend to pursue the matter further.

Leo Redgate, who operates the nonprofit Community Theater in Fairfield, said that his theater does not check moviegoers' bags.

"We do realize that we are in a tough economy that the price of concession food is exorbitant," he said. "But that's where these theaters make all of their money. We only charge $2 for a large popcorn and a large Coke. They charge $6.75. That's part of our recipe of success. We don't have a problem of people bringing food into our theater because we have made a conscious effort to keep our concession prices low."

Redgate said that profit margins for concessions at large movie complexes are "crazy," especially the soda. The cost to the theater, he said, for the cup, the ice, the lid, straw, carbonated water and soda syrup is about 10 cents, he said.

The Community Theater, he explained, is an "intermediate run" theater, which means it plays films a few weeks after they've made their first runs at big theater complexes across the nation. Because of this, it pays a lot less to the movie studios ---- about 30 percent of the gross receipts -- as opposed to 80 percent.

Tracy King, a spokeswoman for National Amusements, one of the largest theater chains in the U.S., with 1,047 screens, said that it "does not allow outside food or beverage in our locations, and we do not search women's bags for outside food. We hope that our patrons respect our policy."

Bow-Tie has 124 screens in Connecticut, New York, Maryland, Colorado and Virginia.

As for Pfeifer, she said that she and her two friends were not the only people taken aback by the bag searches. "The people sitting next to us were very upset, too."

|  IP: Logged

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing, the people who get angry are the same ones who SNEAK it in. You know that you are doing something wrong or else you would openly carry it.

Plus at least at my theater we search bags/etc but usually not purses unless they are large. We are searching for weapons, alcohol, spraypaint etc. for others safety, but we will also not allow people in with food in their bag.

Plus I laughed out loud at the 4th amendment rights argument, as the reporter clearly pointed out, it only applies to government searches.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checking large bags is OK, but searching purses or bodies is not. If any place tried that on me or my companions, I would demand my money back, leave the theatre immediately and take my business somewhere else. I would then email everyone I know in the area and encourage them not to patronize that location.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 06:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person talking about the costs of a soda are a little out of touch with reality.

The cost of syrup is about 8.9¢ per ounce. A 44oz drink with the free refill would use about 65-70 ounces of mixed soda with about 11 ounces of syrup for a syrup cost of about 98¢.

44oz cup is about 12¢
44oz lid is about 2.5¢
Straw is about 2¢

That's a cost of about $1.15 on a $4.50 drink - assuming the customer gets the refill. Yes, that's still a large markup, but it's a long ways from a 10¢ cost.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I only ask to look in a lady's purse if there's steam coming out OR it's ticking loudly. Of which I've had both happen.

Anyways, a golden rule to live by would be "NEVER GO INTO A LADY'S PURSE, ESPECIALLY YOUR MOMMA'S". Even if they ask you to.

Remember that rule and you will live longer.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Doyle
Leo Redgate, who operates the nonprofit Community Theater in Fairfield, said that his theater does not check moviegoers' bags.

"We do realize that we are in a tough economy that the price of concession food is exorbitant," he said. "But that's where these theaters make all of their money. We only charge $2 for a large popcorn and a large Coke. They charge $6.75. That's part of our recipe of success. We don't have a problem of people bringing food into our theater because we have made a conscious effort to keep our concession prices low."

Uh-huh. And a large part of his being able to charge $2 for a large popcorn and coke is the non-profit status. If I could not pay taxes, use completely volunteer staff, raise money from people whos only interest is the deduction, I could probably charge $2 for a large popcorn and soda.

-david

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah they did no favors to the industry by interviewing that guy. For one thing, why all of a sudden is it everyone's business what a theater (or any organization) pays for the ingredients of a snack food item? They don't take into account any of the other costs that go into that item.

I also get steamed at all the news media saying "The concession stand is where the theater makes all its money." First of all, that's not true. Second, they always word it in a negative way, using terms like "rake in" and "the take" and so on. The idea of "making a profit" is always shown in a bad light. People who aren't in business think that the retailer should charge what they pay, and any more than that is a ripoff.

And finally the guy says that major theaters pay "80 per cent" of their ticket revenue to the film company which of course is complete nonsense. The real figure probably hovers closer to 55% for a multiplex. Here, we are around 49% on the average because we play about 75% of our movies off the break.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 09:25 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stamford Advocate
Pfeifer, the chairwoman of Fairfield's Democratic Town Committee, said bag searches "made a mockery" of the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which protects citizens against unreasonable searches and seizures.
Clearly, this woman is a moron. This constitutional protection is from the government, not private entities whose property you are entering. If I wanted to search her purse before letting her in my house, I'd be well within my power to do so. The 4th Amendment is also principally designed to keep the government from kicking down your door and rummaging through your stuff. It is well established by now that this protection is limited once you enter certain public places. I have to empty my pockets when I enter the courthouse or go through airport security. The law professor they quote does not fully elaborate this distinction of place, nor does he go far enough in condemning this woman's stupidity in making such an idiotic claim.

That being said, this company is really stupid, too. If the aim is to prevent people from sneaking food in, they're going to do more harm than good from pissing people off. If the goal is to prevent pirates from sneaking in cameras, that is impossible, given that cell phones now take video. That "problem" can only be solved by auditorium checks and vigorous enforcement of a strict no cellphones/electronic devices policy.

This is a very poorly written article, and the writer is also stupid. Let's just take any claim about a commercial theater made by a guy who works at a nonprofit theater and assume that it is true and publish it. Also, let's take a bunch of extraneous quotes and other random crap and cram all of this into one poorly written article with no unifying theme. Was this article about how stupid this woman is who thinks that the 4th Amendment was written about movie theaters, or about how evil commercial movie theaters are for trying to scrape out a living by selling popcorn and pop, or is it about the prevalence of "no outside food or drink" policies? Or is it about the huge decline in the quality of local dailies, where this is now newsworthy enough to publish (with a bad pun for a headline)?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This constitutional protection is from the government, not private entities whose property you are entering.
They actually explain this in the article, but it happens 2 paragraphs after the woman's statement. Seems like it had to be done on purpose, so that they can both get the people going "The theater is trampling our rights" while saying "We told the truth and explained she was wrong."

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do people in the US often bring up the Constitution and get it wrong when they complain about something?

This incident sounds like over-excited management at that location. The time they probably spent dealing with complaints could have been used to influence their retail spend positively.

I have started to avoid some of the cinema-related pieces in the UK press, it just pisses me off. The journos usually could have walked in to any half-decent multiplex and asked a general manager a few questions and got a better answer on the record than anything their sources come up with.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Do people in the US often bring up the Constitution and get it wrong when they complain about something?
People complain about lots of stuff and get it wrong. Why would something about the Constitution be any different? [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre has a right to check anything they want or refuse admission.

The customer has a right to refuse the theatre's request and not enter their private property.

The theatre has a right to be stupid.

The customer has a right to be stupid.

Theatres have brought this upon themselves for ignoring their own rules forever, for fear of bringing the customer's wrath upon them.

The customer has taken full advantage of the above. The customer has also noticed that they can stay in most theatres all day... the staff is that restricted from offending them.

I know of one drive-in whos owner won't let you in unless you open your trunk. His right to ask, your right to refuse.

The stadiums around here all search bags and purses. Nobody gets offended, because they all know they can just stay home if they don't like it.

Frankly, I don't see why any of you are so wound up over this.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 11:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to do a 'Shakedown' have them pat themselves - don't touch them...

quote: Tom Doyle
have left food containers and pizza boxes on the floor
Happened to me last month: two kids both carrying "Little Caesar's" jumbo boxes in and the manager missed them, but I caught them and told them "...either in the trash, or out to the car...!"

Upset as they were, but out to the car those boxes went.

This fight has been going on for years. Now, with Cinema Grill theatres popping up - could be the magic ticket...

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 11:43 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate when people bring food into the theater, its distracting to others. How hard is it to eat beforehand?

Whats even worse is when they try and argue it, read the policy on the window when you buy tickets.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 11:44 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris I meant more is it something people try use against you a lot when complaining? Like I said, nothing to compare it to here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: