Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » ALICE & CLASH OF THE TITANS 3-D log jam (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ALICE & CLASH OF THE TITANS 3-D log jam
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 04:36 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen ALICE IN WONDERLAND yet and plan to either in RealD 3-D or Dolby 3-D but might not have the time before CLASH OF THE TITANS opens. I do not want to be like some of my friends who had to scramble to find only one 3-D house showing AVATAR in that format here in Honolulu after it had to make way for ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Will most of the digital 3-D houses that are now showing ALICE IN WONDERLAND have to make way for CLASH OF THE TITANS or will they continue to run it? I understand CLASH OF THE TITANS was not originally scheduled to be in 3-D but it will be in both digital as well as film 3-D.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 04:58 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, don't forget that How To Train Your Dragon opens next Friday... it is also available in 3D! You might want to contact your local cinemas and ask if they've booked Dragon or are keeping on Alice starting next friday ... before you start worrying about Clash of the Titans. [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jeremy

I forgot about HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON opening next week. I guess I will somehow how have to find a way to see ALICE IN WONDERLAND by next Thursday because HTTYD is advertised in all digital 3-D formats including IMAX. [Frown]

I know I will not have to worry about HTTYD because I have no interest in 3-D animated movies and have no plans to see it. Beside crappy 3-D films with a lot of 'In Your Face' gimmicks, the public could very well lose interest in 3-D if the studios continue to release only animated pictures in 3-D and do not produce live action movies in that format with good stories. By the time this has happened in the fifties, 3-D was already dying.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-19-2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How To Train A Dragon is the ONLY movie among the current batch of 3D releases I have any desire to see in 3D. I'm not wasting my time and money on 2D faked into 3D. At least How To Train A Dragon is being rendered natively for it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to be interesting to see how long the fickle public is going to have an appetite for cartoons, 3D or not. When we were kids and Disney was the only game in town, The Rodent knew how to pace their animated output; they were masters at creating an event-type aura around every single release; they would promote the crap each on The Wonderful World of Disney as well as every other media outlet. They knew how to building anticipation. That kind of grooming a title is a lost art. Not only Disney, but the entire industry has diminished the awe of movies.

It will be very interesting if the pubic will be able to sustain a desire to see back-to-back animated features at this current output. I sure can't.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-20-2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PDI/Dreamworks and Pixar are both averaging 1 movie release per year. Pixar is consistently making one hit after another. PDI/Dreamworks seems to be getting better and better.

The only thing creating a "log jam" of sorts on animated movies is all the other also ran types of animated releases that just aren't nearly as good.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreamworks has three this year...Dragon, Shrek, and Megamind. That seems a bit much to me. Pixar has a better pace of one or so a year.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but for every Pixar masterpiece there is at least one lesser item such as "G-Force" or "Princess and the Frog." The Disney films are usually at least good quality films, if not great grossers. With the others, it's like the Forrest Gump box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get. I didn't like the last Shrek at all.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-20-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about the Shrek sequel and don't know about that other PDI/Dreamworks feature.

I agree the Shrek franchise has run out of gas. The first Shrek movie was the only one I really liked. The premise for the fourth movie seems interesting, but I don't have high expectations. I didn't care much for the Madagascar sequel either.

PDI/Dreamworks' other recent movies have been better. Kung Fu Panda was a surprisingly good movie. I liked Monsters vs. Aliens enough to buy it on Blu-ray.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the original "Hoodwinked" and was looking forward to the sequel. It was supposed to be released this spring but has been postponed. (They're probably turning it into 3D.)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of problem has been very good to Technicolor 3D. Louis

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 11:59 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHat amazez me over here in the north, is that tey've managed to rate HTTYD -K9/11- that is to say, no kids under nine years old, and nine to 11 with adults. Ouch. That'll cut the people out by half. Animations do tend to be the favorite among parents with kids under 11... more like five to ten.

Once Clash opens it'll be three 3D movies on at the same time for us. That's a loooot of glasses to wash...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 01:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, we already see a burn out factor with a number of animated films - as well as family films in general. With so many movies going to DVD so quickly, many parents are willing to pay to take their family to every single family movie. The Pixar films and thinks like Shrek or Kung Fu Panda will continue to do well because they have a higher perceived value than most of the others.

Just in the last year, look at the performance of such titles as The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Planet 51, Astroboy, Aliens in the Attic, and The Battle for Terra. To a lesser extent you could also include 9 and Coraline.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 01:57 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a drive-in, what we are seeing with our "double feature" combos is that when the currently hot 3D title gets bumped out of the 3D house at the indoor, the indoors are scrambling up all of the available 2D 35mm prints for hold-overs - making it harder for us to score a print at all much less a co-feature. Since we have been booking titles this year on the break, it hasn't been as hard on us. For some of my fellow drive-in owners with single screens, they are having a harder time getting anything. best thing I ever did was add my second screen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. The 3rd one is better still. Small is OK. 100 cars. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: