Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3D Per Capitas

Author Topic: 3D Per Capitas
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its was bound to happen.

Paramount has issued an edict for "Train Your Dragon" that there will be a mimimum per capita charge intended to effect those 3D houses which aren't charging enough additional "event pricing" or whatever euphasmism the additional upcharge is called.

Antitrust law forbids a distributor from telling a theatre owner what to charge but does not prevent a distributor from imposing whatever minimum charges to the theatre owners that it desires.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per capitas are nothing new.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Warner has been doing per capita a lot around here too. On all films (i.e. 2D)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has there ever been a 3D surcharge at any point in the history of the medium, or is this new to the recent revival?

Are any theatres showing 3D without a surcharge?

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 01:39 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW so far I've never paid a 3D surcharge in the Los Angeles area.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 01:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it all start as a "D-Cinema surcharge" (Pre-3D)?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Has there ever been a 3D surcharge at any point in the history of the medium, or is this new to the recent revival?

Are any theatres showing 3D without a surcharge?

As far as I know, during the 80's it wasn't usual (at all) to charge a "3D surcharge" for the 3D films and the paper glasses, valued at <$0.50 of the time, were given free to the audience at a loss, usually picked up by the distributor of the film.

I think the same happened during the 3D of the 50's, but I don't know first hand.

A widespread 3D surcharge during the 00's is, AFAIK, a "new trend".

I don't even think it was common for Imax theaters during the 90's to charge different amounts for a film in 3D from the price of a 2D one. At least several theaters I went to charged the same for all the shows (except matinees, specials or whatnot, but not consistently charging more for 3D shows over 2D ones).

I think the studios don't care about the 3D at all, point in case their converting films randomly to fake-3D instead of shooting in real 3D, and they know the public will soon grow tired of it, but 3D gives them an excuse to ask ("force") theaters to charge a premiun they can get a cut of.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Carmike has never charged extra for digital presentations, just digital 3D presentations.

Surcharges are here to stay folks, at least until there is a huge (or series of huge) 3D flops*.

*Yes, I know there have been several 3D movies that have done so-so; what I'm talking about is a movie that should be huge but ends up tanking.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 07:26 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking WAAAAY back - when Attack of the Clones was out. Didn't it cost more to go to the DLP shows? I thought it did.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Carmikes in this area, prices went up about 50 cents when they went digital, but the prices might have gone up anyway.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 11:02 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might have to do with the fact that most 3D houses in the US are RealD systems and they have a cost per play out model to their contract.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: