Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC application advice? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC application advice?
Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

With the big take over Kerasotes, AMC is finally coming to town. I am interested in getting a job with them (management), however, I can't seem to find out where to submit my resume. Their website only shows current AMC openings at current AMC theaters. How would someone express an interest and show their qualifications so they can get in the running for any potential openings? Would calling or sending a resume to the corporate office be a bad move?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if this is still the case or not but at one time AMC would only consider those with college degrees for managerial positions.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read their qualifications and apparently experience can be substituted for college. I wouldn't mind going back to get a degree though.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 06:50 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep an eye on their website and other employment oriented sites (they used to utilize careerbuilder.com a lot). They generally don't give much attention to blind submissions, relying more on a formalized recruitment process for "outside talent"; a blind submission to Kansas City would likely just be filed away. Your only other option would be to apply directly at one of their theatres in your area, which would probably result in a lesser position being offered than you would like. However, this would get you in the door and provide access to their in-house management development programs.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do yourself a favor and get in as a projection manager if you have any experience with 35mm film.

Any unions in your area? Give them a call and tell them what your skills are and where you'd like work and they will probably help you.

IATSE "helped" theatres tear out all of their digital sH*7 and put 35mm projectors back in after a Pbgh.-area chain who was on the "technological forefront" went bankrupt.

I work at AMC, just walked in and they handed me paperwork as a skilled projectionist.

I work for AMC, Cinemark, a local chain, with paperwork pending at Regal because of the IATSE Local #160.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 12:12 AM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have plenty of experience in both projection and management. I have been trying to find out how they usually do takeovers. Some sources say that they flush out all management, other people tell me that the GM usually gets dumped and the lower management stays. Since this is a large takeover, I can't see AMC getting rid of all GM's or management. Anyone know when this deal will be official? Again, I have heard April 1st, but I really don't know for sure. I'm guessing that once AMC has control, they might be able to talk a little more about what they might be looking for, and in what locations they will be hiring. I am looking for a GM spot (yes, I believe I have the required skills and experience). I know they have some kind of GM training program within the company. That is why I was looking for hiring info as soon as possible so if I were to get hired, I could enter the program and be prepared when they hired.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-10-2010 01:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, do you currently work for Kerasotes? I know that the Kerasotes District Manager out here is running around doing micromanaging-type things in order to "better impress" AMC when they arrive. I think he/she is more trying to save their job than anything else. Likely the DM will go away since AMC already exists out here, though I believe they only have 4 theaters. Maybe the Kerasotes DM is hoping they don't have a local DM and will want one.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-10-2010 06:11 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in the case of the General Cinema acquisition, the ex-GCC managers were re-hired by AMC at the time of the transition. Most of them left on their own accord within the year, apparently due to dissatisfaction with the new company. Most of these were replaced with AMC managers from other regions. The general feeling seemed to be that, at least from a management perspective, the transition was handled somewhat badly.

(This applies to several theatres that I know in in the Boston area; maybe someone who was involved in the Loews acquisition has more recent information about how that transition was handled.)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I know that the Kerasotes District Manager out here is running around doing micromanaging-type things in order to "better impress" AMC when they arrive.
Unfortunately for him AMC does not beleive in district or regional management. There is only the theatre level and the corporate office. All the Loews regionals and VP's lost thier jobs when AMC took over. They also don't "micromanage" from what I know they will fly out from Kansas City and tell you what hey want you to fix/change. Six months later they will come back and if the things they wanted fixed/changed are'nt done then they dump the GM.

They also tend to pay less than some chains and have very strict policies regarding tattoos, credit checks, and things like that.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not work for Kerasotes anymore. I left after finding out how they did business. I am hoping that two transitions in about two years will be too much for the current management. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to be out of work, but the group that took over our theater has run it into the ground. Wallpaper is peeling off the walls, the carpets are gross, the movies get scratched within a day, popcorn is gross, mechanical malfunctions etc etc. I just want the opportunity to let AMC know that there are people out there who would love the opportunity to do the job right.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-10-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes is the company that dictates "only the base side of the film can touch any roller, excessive twisting be damned" and "You must thread the projector in a way where you dump all of the leader into a box", isn't it? I am happy that the corporate projection trainer there will likely lose that job. He clearly should have never had it in the first place.

Also, Kerasotes made the Cherry Creek theater pull up their carpet because the booth was dusty. Now it is worse. These are the kind of things that are going on there. AMC can't come soon enough.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed 100%. They seriously don't have a clue and that is the main reason I left. I also didn't like the idea of wearing dress clothes (including a tie) when I projected. After arguing the obvious safety aspects and the fact that clothes tend to get dirty around grease and oil, they eventually told me the reason they want booth personnel to wear dress clothing in the booth.

"In case there is a fire, you will need to go downstairs and tell patrons how to exit and they would be more likely to listen to someone in dress clothing and a tie rather than someone wearing a tee-shirt and jeans." That is the explanation I got. [Eek!]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for the accidental double post!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 11:37 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know for a fact that when AMC took over Loews they offered the few in house cinema tech's Loews had in some areas that they could keep thier jobs if they took a drastic pay cut and gave up thier company vehicles. [puke] What made it worse is that hey told them that hey would have to take thier AMC tests and prove they were a level whatever when at least one of those guys I know had more cinema tech experience than most of AMC's whole tech division! [puke]

Also in the Boston area they shuffled all the lower than GM managers around so that every Loews building had at least one "experienced" AMC manager.

The best thing they did IMO is they took all the Loews POS systems that were running a very updated and stable version of Radiant's T.M.S. software and downgraded them all to an ancient version that was compatible with what was installed at all the AMC houses. [puke]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-11-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
The best thing they did IMO is they took all the Loews POS systems that were running a very updated and stable version of Radiant's T.M.S. software and downgraded them all to an ancient version that was compatible with what was installed at all the AMC houses.
And not only that, since the AMC people paid Radiant to do the initial set-up of it to supposedly get a "customized and streamlined" installation, they ended up with lots of great features completely removed. Loews had their IT people design the setup with input from people who actually work inside theaters.

For instance, I remember being annoyed that there was no way to have the stock room be a separate entity from the concession stand WRT counts or having the tills with no more ability to do "cash-in/cash-out" (useful for tracking $$). The people who got shuffled in with me from the AMCs were like "Radiant can do that?"

And whoever came up with their names for everything from stock items to tickets in box is a moron. The medium cups were given an item name "32XXXX" but when we started receiving 28-ounce cups instead the name changed to "28XXXX" meaning that if someone accidentally entered the 32-ounce item, you'd have stock screwed up. Simply calling the item "medium cup" would solve all that.

And the tickets in box have the same problem. Senior is "RR750" or similar, with RR for reduced rate. Seriously, when I worked box for Loews we simply had buttons that just said "adult", "child", and "senior."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: