Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » RealD glasses minumum purchase (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RealD glasses minumum purchase
David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 11:24 PM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Do you have minimum order quantities for purchasing RealD glasses.

Our local RealD agent in Australia recently sent me notification that 45 boxes or 13500 pairs of glasses is the minimum quantity I can purchase.

Cheers,

David Stone.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 12:10 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make you buy your glasses?

David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 12:17 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Yes they do, withtax about $1AUD each. so that is a about $13500 spend they want.

Cheers,

David

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-20-2010 12:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go see 3D movies at competing theaters. Keep the glasses for your theater and hand them out to customers.

Do this 13,500 times.

David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 12:43 AM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, maybe I will take a trip to the US of A and hang around the theater lobbies with empty garbage bags,

Cheers,

David

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2010 01:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just dress in all green and tell exiting customers that you are the Real-D recycling man.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 02:07 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Real-D recycling, theaters in this country have had 'recycle bins' for used glasses for a while now. I always assumed the glasses were sent away so the plastic could be melted down and reformed into brand new 3D glasses, but apparently that's not the case.

For the last 3D movie I saw (Battle for Terra), I was given a 'used' pair of Real D glasses. The lenses were scratched up - not quite enough to spoil the movie, but enough to cause noticeable diffraction effects when looking at the lights. It's probably from bumping against 100 other pairs of glasses in the bin.

I also saw the ticket collection employee cleaning pairs of Real D glasses while waiting for people to come up with tickets.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 05:47 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well I am buying real d glasses in lots of about 6 cartons at a time with not problems.

I send money they send glasses and they are very quick with dispatch as well.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas the Real D glasses are sent back. You probably went somewhere that has had phenomenal demand due to Avatar and didn't get a big enough order of new glasses in so they've had to recycle on-site. I imagine the only places that had to play that crappy Terra film were the ones with multiple 3D installations and they'll have been hit hardest by Avatar.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
I also saw the ticket collection employee cleaning pairs of Real D glasses while waiting for people to come up with tickets.
I don't know why, but that just irks me, since they aren't made to be cleaned I wonder if the employees were cleaning/sanitizing correctly.

As said above, theaters DO actually mail them out, I believe that we got $10 for every box we sent back as well (it was a promotion when the program first started)

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't got to the situation yet and probably wont but given the choice of re-using glasses or not showing a film in 3D I would take the former as it would benefit the customer most.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what do you think that RealD does with the glasses collected/recycled/sent back?

quote:
The most common 3-D glasses are made by a company called Real-D. They collect used glasses in containers outside each theater, and when those containers are full, they’re sent to a recycling center in Los Angeles, which cleans and sanitizes more than 700,000 glasses per day! Then the glasses are checked for defects, repackaged, and sent back to theaters.
Needless to say, PLENTY of reports of people opening their RealD sealed packages to find scratched glasses.

RealD has said themselves that they have already sold over 100 million pair of glasses. At $.65 cents each ... you do the math.

If they recycle, they probably can get the cost down from around $.20 cents it costs them to make to $.10.

I don't know if you are forced by RealD's agreement to supply glasses per-ticket purchased from them, etc. But if not, my suggestion, is to sell the glasses as a SEPARATE item from the ticket for, say $1 (not shared with the distributor, this is a separate sale from the ticket), and if a customer brings his own pair, then he saves $1. Or talk to Master Image, who makes compatible glasses, explain to them you are using RealD and how much they can get you glasses for.

That's real recycling, cost control, etc. Plus extra profit for the theater: every time a 3D glassses is sold, around $.40 cents is made in profits. Sell them at the consession stand as well as in the box office, btw, in case someone wants to replace a pair mid-show, etc.

Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 04:16 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

I buy them direct from China straight and fly them into Brisbane. We buy around 50,000-200,000 at a time. It works out cheaper to buy them direct.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio one of the major exhibitors has done just what you suggest in the UK. It suits their business though as they sell an annual pass, yet still have to add the 3D surchage to those customers each time. By selling glasses individually it reduces their costs and those of the customer.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Master License Agreements (in the US at least), state that the distributor gets a percentage of anything required for admission.

The studios would argue that the glasses are part of the admission price and that they are entitled to their percentage.

Fox sued a dinner theatre for requiring a food minimum, saying that they were entitled to a percentage of the food if it was required for admission.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: