Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Maintenance databases RFC

Author Topic: Maintenance databases RFC
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little background:
At my current employer, maintenance (facilities, projection, etc.) has been accomplished for the last few years by means of a manager filling out a form (excel spreadsheet -- no formulas, just a questionnaire) and faxing it to the head maintenance guy.
After I came on board I build a simple database in mysql with a cgi frontend which enabled us to file requests via e-mail, provide transparency between maintenance and administrative personnel and, most importantly, keep track of things.

The initial incarnation has been a good tool but I feel like it's time to expand it.

I had the pleasure of picking the brain of a couple Regal techs a while back who mentioned Christie's service devision is doing something similar.

I'm in the design phase of something new though, which I'll likely make open source or at least freely distributable.

So, I'd like to ask: what do you all think of these types of systems and what suggestions would you have?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are operating on a company wide server system with MYSQL thats probably the best way to handle it but in my case I don't have any small chains that begin to have that luxury so I've also always used Excel.

Mark

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most webhosting services offer one or more MySQL databases as part of the webhosting packages. I would guess that smaller chains are probably hosting their sites using a service rather than maintaing their own server, so they should have the capability to use something like this. The question is if they have people with the ability to implement it.

Sounds like a great idea Dominic.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-14-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had something similar for work orders at Century. We used Lotus Notes though to do a lot of that stuff... don't know the specifics.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Z. in Hollywood now? You get around a lot!

The system was originally designed to run on MySQL but I'm setting it up to run on SQLite and MySQL for compatibility purposes.
Though I think most places will do precisely what we're doing, run it on their web hosting service.

So, what features would you as operators and technicians want to see in something like this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: