Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How on Earth does one get work done on the ceiling? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How on Earth does one get work done on the ceiling?
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 11:28 AM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, love this website, always plenty of folks out there with extremely helpful suggestions. Here is a question that I really need answered. How do I get up to a 25 ft ceiling to do various little things like replace work lights, or faulty smoke detectors or get my machinist up there to see why our heating and air conditioning fan is rattling like that every 35 or 40 minutes like it has been for the last day or so. The owner has already chimed in on this one with: no clue. Can't say that I was expecting anything different. No one could even tell me how to change the showtime message when I started here but anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-01-2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the lay of the space...there are genies, scissor lifts, scaffolding, and even good old ladders. It depends on what you are trying to do, what you are trying to avoid (on the ground) and sometimes what is available.

Steve

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of things that need done. A smoke detector needs changed. Some work lights need replaced. And a heating/air conditioning fan is rattling every 30 or 40 minutes for an unknown reason. The first two the space is flat. We are trying to avoid having to rip out seats to bring in a scissor lift. The fan is above a sloped area. Would a scissor lift even work on a 15 degree incline?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good, old fashioned ladder sounds like what you need.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 01:18 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just incase you haven't eliminated this possibility: Are those areas accessible from above the ceiling? Do you have catwalks?

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depending on the size of the doors, you could get an articulating lift that will get to anywhere in the auditorium, dont forget someone put all that stuff in there

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could do a scaffold. You should be able to erect this around the seats, but you might have to create a wedge or something to account for the slope. This may be overkill for changing lights, but to do any work that high, it's probably what you need to do if you don't want to remove seats to get a scissor lift in.

We have a Little Giant ladder which allows us to reach the ceiling. It can be a little unnerving at the top, but it works.
Little Giant Ladders We have the Model 26.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 06:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Looker
And a heating/air conditioning fan is rattling every 30 or 40 minutes for an unknown reason.
If you're using roof top units they should be accessible from the roof.

Do you have stadium or sloped flooring?

If stadium you'll want a ladder with adjustable leg lengths to accommodate the steps.

For a sloped floor we use a specialty 20ft A-frame later with a center extension to change fluorescent lights (tubes) and ceiling tiles and what not.

If you need to change can lights (flood) get a light changing suction cup to attach to an extension pole. You can get these from just about any hardware store. I get ours from Home Depot in the paint department.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 07:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote here for a scaffold. As soon as we have 1 or 2 ceiling lights out (out of 10), I have this carpenter friend who I hire to bring in his scaffold, and the two of us change all of the bulbs at once. We block under the front wheels to take care of the floor slope.

It costs about $125 by the time we're done, but it sure beats having to take seats out!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 09:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite cinema I've worked at for changing light bulbs...

-

There wasn't a single light bulb in it...all neon. [thumbsup]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 06:42 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John is that a cinema or pole dancing club [Cool]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I third the scaffolding. If you have to do any kind of work that high up you want to have a space to work on. You won't have any problems in a stadium style theatre. All ours are and have no problems, just make sure if you rent and do it yourself you get the kind with adjustable legs.

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 12:30 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We go the scaffolding route. I'd agree with Kurt, get the adjustable legs. Our rig is on locking wheels that are height adjustable. Of course when it comes to work lights, they are all catwalk accessible but some of our other lights are not which is where the scaffolding comes into play.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean to say their are catwalks above the ceiling that you can change the bulbs out from.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our lights were removed from the roof void.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: