Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Intermission in Out Of Africa

Author Topic: Intermission in Out Of Africa
Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this film is quite long at 150+ minutes was it ever released with an approved intermission spot?

Anyone got any ideas at all as would like to have a break running it on DVD for a group but really just where?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 12:52 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lindsay

It did have an intermission...

I have it listed in my book as

1st half: 64mins
2nd half: 94mins

Total: 158mins

Can't recall what happens at the 64 minute mark, but it's probably end of reel 4 and pretty obvious.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of unusual to have the 2nd half be longer than the first, isn't it? I remember running "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur," with the ratio of 1st half to 2nd half being about reversed compared to those timings.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The granddaddy of all the intermission pictures, GONE WITH THE WIND, first part 100 min. second part 120 min. (not including music).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the intermission music for GWTW always been that kind of sorry, uninspired organ playing Stephen Foster? That always seemed kind of hokey to me, although thematically I can see how it works.

I must say, the MY FAIR LADY intermission certainly was well placed and with appropriately climactic music, but if I were going to pick one film that I would call the grand-daddy of Intermissions, it would have to be CAMELOT. No matter how many times I've run that film, that buildup to the end of the first half and the great music crescendo gives me goose bumps every single time. Timing the curtain warmer lights, getting the curtains to close exactly as the Intermission title fades out -- it's so much fun. Of course, you can get it to all happen with automation, but why deprive yourself? That would be like having sex without allowing yourself the climax.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,much appreciated and John around the 60 min mark looks to be a good spot.TA.

Yeah and getting curtains to start their travel at just the right spot is an art and then doing it night after night even after cueing for the curtains is often a challenge that keeps you on your toes even when you are working from a platter let alone in a C/O site.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
That's kind of unusual to have the 2nd half be longer than the first, isn't it? I remember running "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben Hur," with the ratio of 1st half to 2nd half being about reversed compared to those timings.

It's wasn't unusual on a shorter run time. The longer the film, the longer the first half. That way they padded the first half out with featurettes if the feature was on the short side.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2009 09:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Of course, you can get it to all happen with automation, but why deprive yourself? That would be like having sex without allowing yourself the climax.
Actually your analogy isn't much of an analogy at all. Letting the automation do it would be like having sex where you didn't have to put forth any effort...and every time the film ran, you had a perfectly timed and memorable climax.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to sit in the auditorium and watch the automation do something though. I get a small thrill every time I'm sitting in our auditorium and the lights fade-to-black when the feature is about to start.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the intermission music for GWTW was the organ-played Stephen Foster music from the beginning. I don't have a copy on hand, but I think the letter from David Selznick to theater managers dated "1940" refers to this music.
The overture, entre-acte, and exit have always been the Steiner music from the score.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-13-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Letting the automation do it would be like having sex where you didn't have to put forth any effort....

I'm not a bottom.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: