Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Leaving through front exit doors. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Leaving through front exit doors.
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All our newer theatres have exits only through the rear of of the auditorium but a few older ones have doors up front next to the screen and it used to annoy me very much when people would leave through these doors when the credits are rolling during a daytime showing. The Varsity in Honolulu that was demolished almost two years ago had such a set up and there were times when some idiot would leave through these doors in the middle of a movie during a matinée Grrrr [Mad]

Do you have this happening at your theatres if you have exit doors next to the screen?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most building codes require some sort of front emergency exit doors, unless the auditorium is very small.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need emergency exits, but you can have them alarmed with delayed opening if you don't want the patrons to use them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-06-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Colorado Mills 16 here in Lakewood Colorado almost always have their front exit doors locked shut. You can usually open them if you slam against them with the full force of your body, though. I hope that there is never a fire in that theater as that is a huge liability.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
always have their front exit doors locked shut. You can usually open them if you slam against them with the full force of your body, though.
That's interesting. In our area, the fire marshall's office does periodic inspections... at least once or twice a year. The exits, exit signs and hallway lighting are usually the first things they check. Any problems generate follow-up calls within something like 30 days.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 08:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours are alarmed with signage depicting "Emergency Exit Only -Alarm will sound"

Kinda put the kabosh on patrons wanting to go out that way. But some still go out through these doors...and setting off the location alarm that goes off in the lobby.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-07-2009 12:37 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been in a theater where the exit doors by the screens were restricted in any way, and I'll use them if it's a more convenient exit than going through the back again.

Some of them, particularly in mall theaters, exit to an awesome maze of corridors.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an exit next to the screen but nobody ever uses it. Once we had a situation where we had two shows too close together, and the lobby became TOTALLY packed with people so we decided to exit the early crowd thru the front exit. You'd have thought we were teaching blind people to walk again...I would point and say "We'd like everyone to use THAT exit down there please" but they just kept coming towards me like zombies until I repeated it about five or six times.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-07-2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about theaters designed so that the main exits are next to the screen? Like the old Pasadena Hastings Ranch? The concession area was behind the screen, and the main exits for the auditorium were either side of the screen.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 10:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Some of them, particularly in mall theaters, exit to an awesome maze of corridors.
The multiplexes in Krakow, Poland always have the patrons exit through the front exit doors by/near/under the screen, rather than back into the lobby. Even if it was a very dead show and I was the only one in there, an usher would be there to direct me to those doors. Depending on which location, it could be kind of confusing the first time when it turned into a maze like Sam talks about.

Thankfully, they let out in an area where bathrooms are available.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Are we talking about theaters designed so that the main exits are next to the screen? Like the old Pasadena Hastings Ranch? The concession area was behind the screen, and the main exits for the auditorium were either side of the screen.
I think he means that at most places you enter and exit through the back, but there are emergency exits at the front. And so when someone would go out the emergency exits in mid-day, light would shine inside and screw up his watching the credits (or blind him from not adjusting). [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theatre actually used to have exits on either side of the screen -- but when the screen was widened to accommodate "scope" pictures in 1953, the exits were covered, so they cut a new exit into the side of the auditorium right next to the screen. But it goes into a hallway, so no light gets in if somebody does happen to use it.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 02:50 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three of the theatres I've worked it were designed so the exit at the bottom of the auditorium sends a signal to an alarm panel behind the concession stand. If a door alarm goes off when people are supposed to be exiting, it's not big deal. If it's in the middle of the show, employees are supposed to run and check it out - this happens maybe 2-3 times per month. Most often it's just someone trying to smoke or talk on the cell without "missing" the movie.

People use these doors to exit all the time, especially the two auditoriums where the doors face the packing lot.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
But it goes into a hallway, so no light gets in if somebody does happen to use it.
Yeah because when there's an emergency and everyone needs to get out as soon as possible, it makes perfect sense to make it so they can't see a damn thing...

Dumbest idea ever.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you are the king of stupid assumptions around here. I didn't say the hallway was dark. There's a motion-sensor light in there that comes on when the door is opened, but the light itself is located around a corner so it doesn't shine into the auditorium. Duh?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: