Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC bans outside food and drink... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: AMC bans outside food and drink...
Benjamin Putman
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Benjamin Putman   Email Benjamin Putman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/12/01/AMC-theaters-ban-outside-food/UPI-27651259700766/

Does anyone allow outside food and drink?

That explains why the local AMC always smells like fast food.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-04-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
UA and many other chains have banned outside food for many years. This is nothing new.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-04-2009 11:33 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but it is new for AMC. Personally, I was surprised at the policy after having gotten it pretty much ingrained in our customer base that food was verboten. Then again, I'd never been to an AMC before I became part of them from the merger.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2009 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

I never knew that ANY theatres permitted outside food. Next time I visit Century I'll have to bring a large pizza with me [Big Grin] .

Mike

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why they don't allow outside food and drink is for insurance/liabiliy reasons:

You bring that pizza in the house and you forget to take your drippings out to the trashcan when you leave. Some senior citizen, or little kid will step on the drippings that you leave and crack his butt on the floor when he slips on that stuff.

He files a insurance claim to the cinema company, in which the insurance writers for that cinema has put a clause in the contracts that any food or beverage that isn't sold at the concessions stand, that patron WILL NOT be covered by the liabilty coverage since he cracked his butt on the floor due to the products not being sold at the concessions stand of that cinema venue.

Then that patron will file a lawsuit and put the cinema in major debt for out of court settlements, or that cinema has a new owner.

BUT, if he cracks his butt on products bought at the concessions stand that was left on the floor, then the insurance coverage is in effect and all is good.

(This also pertains to people coming in with bare feet - if that patron cuts his foot on anything in that location, good luck in insurance coverage...Shirts and Shoes required...)

This is basically why, theatre checks are to be done, checks at the door for outside food or drink-anything that can put that cinema in jepardy to protect them from any liability issues.

For example: many moons ago when I was working at a 4screen venue under a large California company, a woman did crack her butt on the floor due to someone leaving a "Big Mac" on the floor left by a customer who snuck it in and wasn't checked. That woman won a 6 digit out of court settlement. The manager was suspended for two weeks and warned next time to look for another job if this occurance happens again.

-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-05-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC had allowed this? I find that hard to believe. In fact I'm pretty sure the assholes at the old Century City location told me I couldn't bring in my soda a few years ago.

They thankfully tore down that crummy theater and built a new one.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-05-2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am surprised AMC allowed any outside food or drinks in the theater in the past. I thought all movie theaters banned outside food and drinks.

Is AMC still stuffing the surround speakers up in the ceiling with their new theaters? I really HATE surround speakers up in the ceiling. It earns an instant grade "F" from me on sound quality. Maybe this is why they're having to ban outside food and drinks. Some patrons may be throwing their slushies and pizza slices at the ceiling tiles in anger.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-05-2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
AMC had allowed this? I find that hard to believe.
I worked for AMC and they absolutely allowed it. Hence, why I'd been surprised by the policy when I was part of the Loews-Cineplex merger.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-05-2009 11:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that insurance considerations play any part in it. Our insurance coverage doesn't exclude anything accept acts of god and overt owner negligence. Why would anyone buy insurance that didn't cover any and all accidents in the theatre? I never heard of an exclusionary clause because of outside food. That doesn't mean, there isn't, it's just that would be one weak and cheap policy.

This is not brain surgury -- AMC finally discovered what every other theatre in the world already knows: if you allow outside food, that's food they aren't BUYING AT YOUR CONCESSIONS. It's all about $$$ and profit margins and per capita concession sales.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there was an article a number of years ago in the local paper about food being brought in to theatres, and the local AMC manager said while they don't advertise it, they did allow it. Their stated reason was that they don't have all the foods people might want to eat during the movie (hamburgers, etc), and they didn't want to be in a position of losing a ticket sale for patrons wanting to do it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-05-2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Is AMC still stuffing the surround speakers up in the ceiling with their new theaters? I really HATE surround speakers up in the ceiling. It earns an instant grade "F" from me on sound quality.
No, they are designed much better now.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was working as an assistant Manager for Regal in the state of Washington as I relieved an usher/ticket-taker a couple came through wearing think hunting vests on a very warm day. I was convinced the vests were thinker than normal because they had stuffed them with food. I let them pass.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-05-2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if theatre concession prices were more reasonable people would not try to sneak food into a theatre like I did once in a backpack a few years ago . I used to spend a lot of money at concession stands but when they stopped selling popcorn in a small bag, a hot dog and a soda for just a little over five dollars, I stopped buying and saw my movies without any snack. This is the reason it is such a joy to watch movies at home on Blu-Ray and get to eat different kinds of things every night instead of Popcorn, hotdog and sodas.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a survey asking people just what they DO think is a reasonable price for a soda and a bucket of popcorn. Our prices here are about 40% less than what a large city theatre charges and we still get the occasional price complaint.

I think the average price complainer simply has no clue about what it costs to run a movie theatre.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think the average price complainer simply has no clue about what it costs to run a movie theatre.
I don't think, I know they don't. They also think that the price of the ticket is all the theatre's as well.

Our general policy is "Out of sight, out of mind." As long as its not obvious we're not too concerned about it. A bigger problem are people using their cell phones to call and sneak their friends in through the exit doors. [Mad] Why I think the FCC should allow signal jammers for entertainment venues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: