Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Chicago woman arrested for video recording in a theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Chicago woman arrested for video recording in a theatre
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 12:38 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago Sun Times

quote: Chicago Sun Times

Woman arrested for trying to record 'Twilight' on digital camera
Comments

December 2, 2009
BY DAN ROZEK Staff Reporter

Taping three minutes of “Twilight: New Moon” during a visit to a Rosemont movie theater landed Samantha Tumpach in a jail cell for two nights.

Now, the 22-year-old Chicago woman faces up to three years in prison after being charged with a rarely invoked felony designed to prevent movie patrons from recording hot new movies and selling bootleg copies.

Samantha Tumpach, 22, is charged with one count of criminal use of a motion picture exhibition, a Class 4 felony, according to Rosemont police Sgt. Keith Kania.

But Tumpach insisted Wednesday that’s not what she was doing — she was actually taping parts of her sister’s surprise birthday party celebrated at the Muvico Theater in Rosemont.

While she acknowledged there are short bits of the movie on her digital camera, there are other images that have nothing to do with the new film — including she and a few other family members singing “Happy Birthday” to her 29-year-old sister at the theater.

“It was a big thing over nothing,” Tumpach said of her Saturday afternoon arrest. “We were just messing around. Everyone is so surprised it got this far.”

She was nabbed when a worker saw her shooting video during the movie, Rosemont police said.

Managers contacted police, who examined the small digital camera, which also records video segments, Cmdr. Frank Siciliano said. Officers found that Tumpach had taped “two very short segments” of the movie — no more than four minutes total, he said.

Tumpach was arrested after theater managers insisted on pressing charges, he said. She was charged with criminal use of a motion picture exhibition. She remained jailed for two nights in Rosemont’s police station until being taken to bond court on Monday, where a Cook County judge ordered her released on a personal recognizance bond that didn’t require her to post any cash.

Rosemont police, though, seemed to sympathize with her situation, she said. “They were so nice to me,” she said.

Tumpach insisted she recorded no more than three minutes while in the theater — and said not all of the video she shot was of the movie. There’s footage of she and her relatives singing to her sister, she said. “We sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to her in the theater,” Tumpach said.

She also took pictures of family members in the theater before the film began, but an usher who saw the photo session never issued them a warning, Tumpach said.

As ads and previews ran on the big screen, she fiddled with the camera — which she got in July and is still learning how to work — and was surprised to see it took clear videos of the screen.

The footage she shot also includes the pre-film commercials, as well as her talking about the camera and the movie.

“You can hear me talking the whole time,” Tumpach said.

She plans to fight in court the felony filed against her because she said she did nothing wrong — and certainly didn’t try to secretly tape the movie.

“It was never my intention to record the movie,” she said.

What the theatre staff should have done was ask her to stop, and inform her that it was illegal to record in the auditorium. What the theatre staff did seems, based on the article, to go way overboard. I bet you next time they all stay home and rent a DVD...

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you that theatre staff could have used better judgment, but how are they honestly supposed to know she was "only" recording short bits or what her intent was for those bits. While it's a crappy situation, many of those recorded bits are destined to wind up on YouTube and MySpace. And once they learn to record short bits, what's to say they won't be back to record an entire movie.

At the very least, occasional cases like this are needed to show the general public that this is a serious thing and not a joke.

Besides, we can no longer take it for granted that the preteen with a digital camera is not the pirating threat.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking the law gets you arrested? I never knew...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

“You can hear me talking the whole time,” Tumpach said.

Well, there's the REAL crime [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where was the manager during this whole fiascso? Letting staff have full charge....horrors!

A head is definitely going to roll...

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2009 02:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The MPAA has gone WAAAAAAY too far with this one. Where are the news stories of ACTUAL pirates? That is what I want to read about, not some poor woman who got harassed to the point of being jailed.

Martin is right, the real crime was her talking.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 02:19 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Monte, the article said "Managers" contacted police. I have no sympathy for her. No one has any business bringing a video camera (or video recording cell phone) into a theatre (doctors and emergency personnel excepted). I think the incident sends the right message. Problem is other idiots will now try to outwit the theatre staff.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 02:23 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, that $500 MPAA reward has theatre managers seeing $$$$$$$$.

Is there a condition of the reward that the person has to be convicted?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is bullshit. The source of the flawless copies of movies that show up days before release is not from camcordering. These are from inside studios, labs etc. I see no issue with incidental non intentional images such as this.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not bullshit. This is a perfect reflection of our current "no fault" society.

In a way, this is a less-extreme example of the problem schools have with their "zero tolerance" rules. You can't hardly bring a picture of a cub scout pocket knife to school without being tossed out.

In this case, as with schools, the message is absolutely clear. You can't take pictures of the film, period. The rationalization is on the part of the perpetrator... "I only took two short pictures", or "I only took pictures of the previews". Nowhere in all the warnings you see about this practice does it say "you can't video the film, except if the video is less than 5 minutes in length, or you only video our preshow, or you talk or sing 'happy birthday' in the middle of your copy".

I get this garbage all the time, when confronting people who we catch sneaking in to our place. "It's only one ticket", or "we come here all the time, you should let this pass", or "I wasn't planning to watch the film, I was going to go to sleep in the back with my girlfriend". See? The creative rationalizations to your rules are all made up by those who break them. Why are you sympathetic to these people?

If you're going to allow a gray area to exist, who gets to decide what that area is? The owner of the content? The theatre management? Or, as in this case, the person who just got caught?

I agree that the larger problem is with the flawless transfers that are floating around. Clearly, they couldn't have been made by casual patrons. But, it you're going to justify the actions of these "lower level" problems, it needs to be universal, and sanctioned by the studios, not by the "catch-ees".

"Yah... I just got caught shooting up the place. Let me go... I'm insane".

/rant

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A smart person should have asked to speak to a manager and inquired about the legality of recording in a movie theatre, whether or not it is you intention on recording anything on screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This also happened at one of our local cinemas: staff member saw a kid with his celphone capturing "T2:LOTF" while that member was doing house checks and got the manager who then called the police.

Don't know what the outcome on that one insident was, but the mother was furious about her son being arrested until the manager showed her the poster that is in the lobby about piracy and what would be the results..

(Sorry on the misunderstanding, but the way the story was being told as if the staff members themselves were in charge of that entire affair..)

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zero tolerance policies don’t work. In the end, young people (who are the only ones we can really influence with these policies) get a clear message: Authority figures are non-thinking idiots. In schools, every kid knows that the real drug dealers are getting away with it while the good kid who took an aspirin to class got severely punished. And, in the case of this theatre in Illinois, everyone knows that this person isn’t the one who’s going to distribute a pristine, digital copy of Twlight: New Moon.

The theatre manager should have just kicked the girl out of the theatre. Getting the girl arrested was over the top.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
criminal use of a motion picture exhibition,
I'd like to see the actual wording of this ordinance, and how rarely it is invoked. It sounds like there has to be some criminal act to go along with it. Copyright violation may be the underlying crime (is it criminal, or just civil?), but a good lawyer will rip that to pieces. If both sides get bull headed about it, I think the MPAA could end up with a fair use definition they really don't want.

It really would have been much more sensical to just kick them out.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-03-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the girl concerned only recorded portions of the feature and the preshow ads, then isn't it likely she would have noticed the "no cell phones, no talking" snipes?

Sorry, but she blew it on at least 3 accounts.

1. Cell phones ANNOY patrons, hence the no cell phone rules.

2. She was talking. Again, that annoys other patrons.

3. She must be deaf, dumb and stupid not have seen the anti-piracy campaigns. Shooting any video of the screen in an auditorium constitutes unauthorised copying.

My take? She's shitty she got busted. It's all about EVERY patron's enjoyment, not just hers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: