Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Christmas Carol scared kid walkouts? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Christmas Carol scared kid walkouts?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has anyone had scared kids leaving A Christmas Carol?

We've probably had four or five little kids (with parents) leave early over the course of the run so far. We were gone over the weekend and our ass't manager reported a lady with 2 kids left and demanded a refund. I haven't seen the manager yet to find out how far into the movie they left, or how old the kids were, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Benallie
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Dwayne Benallie   Author's Homepage   Email Dwayne Benallie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(SPOILER ALERT)

Yesterday and we had a family ask for a refund on the movie due to some scenes being too scary for their kid. I seen the movie and it's where the 2nd ghost (ghost of x-mas present) transforms (dies?) into a skeleton and then dust. Then the 3rd ghost, whom is death, appears and the movie gets a little more darker... i like the movie due it's darker tone at the end but yeah i can see what the parents are saying when they say their kids are scared.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a few walk out due to it being too scary for the little ones, but then we're playing it in 3D too, so that probably made it just that more scary.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-15-2009 10:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't understand this.

If you have ever read the original Dickins manuscript of "A Christmas Carol" you would know that the very first sentence reads:

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that.

Even if you have never read the original manuscript (I find this entirely unconscionable!) you should know that Jacob Marley comes back from the dead to haunt Ebenezer Scrooge. Thus, even a complete moron should know that there are ghosts, dead people and other scary things in "A Christmas Carol."

Now, I suppose there are some people who think only in terms of the sanitized version of the tale and would not consider that ghosts and apparitions are, in reality, a rather gruesome sight. (If it was actually possible to see a ghost.) In rebuttal to this idea of sanitization of the original story, simply look at the rating on the movie. It is rated "PG." (Parental Guidance Suggested.)
This would tell a reasonably intelligent parent that there MIGHT be some things in the aforementioned movie that could be troubling to their kids. It would be the parent's responsibility to check into this BEFORE one actually took a kid to the theater to see the movie. Regardless of how funny the trailer looks when you see it on TV, it is still the parent's responsibility to check the rating of the movie beforehand.

Even if you have never read the original "A Christmas Carol"; even if you only know the sanitized version of the story; even if you only watched the television ads and trailers but did not notice the "PG" rating; even if you did see the rating but ignored it there is STILL one overriding piece of information that every parent should tell their kids. It's a very simple sentence. It's got four little words:

"IT'S ONLY A MOVIE!"

When did parents stop teaching kids that the things they see on the movie screen and on TV aren't real?

Regardless of the myriad whiny, relativistic excuses people may dream up, there is no substitute for parental responsibility!

I can't believe that people are so fucking stupid!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-15-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
When did parents stop teaching kids that the things they see on the movie screen and on TV aren't real?
I would much rather see kids getting scared at a movie like this and have the parents take them out than have the parents taking them to see movies like Saw or even Paranormal Activity. It used to be that part of being a kid was being scared by the monster in the closet and what not. Now kids are seeing so much crap at a young age that nothing seems to phase them.

Back on topic, we have also had a few parents leave with little ones who are too scared. But one of the reviews I saw of Christmas Carol put it the right way - "it is a ghost story after all".

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-15-2009 11:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
"it is a ghost story after all"
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Give that man a prize!

[Wink]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 05:26 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that parents are assuming it'll be a cute retelling since Disney 'Mickeyfied' the same story and they remember that thinking it wasn't scary so...

Just a thought.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2009 07:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I was going to say almost the same thing - it is being advertised as DISNEY's A Christmas Carol, and Disney released two G rated versions of the story before (Mickey's & the Muppets one). That doesn't change/refute what Randy said by any means, but it's a bit more understandable as to why...

as to the original question:
quote: Mike Blakesley
So has anyone had scared kids leaving A Christmas Carol?
Yes, we've given out a decent number or readmits for this title.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I blame Disney's marketing for this. Every trailer I saw depicted this movie in the fun, juvenile sense. Just like Wild Things, what looked like a kids movie turned out to be much more mature than what everyone thought.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2009 03:08 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the extended classification from the BBFC in the UK

A Christmas Carol 2009

quote:
A CHRISTMAS CAROL is the IMAX 3D version of a new CGI animated re-telling of Charles Dickens’ classic tale. Starring the vocal talents of Jim Carey and Colin Firth, it was passed ‘PG’ for mild threat, scary scenes and mild language.

The BBFC Guidelines at ‘U’ state that there should be ‘occasional mild threat and menace only’ and that ‘scary sequences should be mild, brief and unlikely to cause undue anxiety to young children’. In A CHRISTMAS CAROL however there are some scenes where Scrooge appears to be in danger for longer periods than are generally acceptable at ‘U’ and others which it was thought may frighten very small children. The ‘PG’ was therefore felt to be more appropriate, where frightening scenes do not have to be as mild. One example is the appearance of Marley’s ghost, who looms over Scrooge menacingly, his lower jaw almost appearing to fall off as he lets out a miserable wail. With A CHRISTMAS CAROL such a well known story, however, and with fantasy elements a mitigating factor at ‘PG’, this scene and others similar were not considered inappropriately placed there.

With the BBFC Guidelines at ‘U’ also stating that only very mild language is acceptable, infrequent mild language including uses of ‘bugger’ and 'arse' also required the ‘PG’ certificate.

Parents really do need to check out what the film is about before they take their kids to see a film.

But that implies thay they can read words in smaller type than the title!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similarly, under the MPAA ratings system, a PG means "Some material may not be suitable for children".

In the past 12 months there have been a handful of movies released where it was important to have that description handy for parents - including Marley & Me, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Bride Wars, New In Town, A Christmas Carol, and others.

I don't know whether to blame the MPAA or the studios for building the impression that PG means "kids movie". Maybe the MPAA needs to have a PG-A and PG-C to designate the difference between PG movies aimed at adults and those aimed at kids/families.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'll just watch my favorite: The Alastair Sim version! Louis

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lots of assumptions there Randy. People actually reading a BOOK?!? LOL [Wink]

I'll just say from experience with our children's matinees that you never know what is going to scare a child. Sometimes just the lights going out will do it. And lets face it, the lights out make scary movies alot scarier than watching at home (Yay for the magic of movies).

And yeah, like all of the ratings, the PG rating is useless for determining what is suitable for your child. You have to read and think and not buy into the Disney brand name, 3 things Disney is loathe for you to do. Disney is the cinematic equivalent of McDonald's -- parents expect the exact same thing everytime.

Maybe A Christmas Carol is a return to the old days when Radio City Music Hall had to change the seats after the premiere of Snow White because the kids pissed themselves. Ahhh, the good old days.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Maybe the MPAA needs to have a PG-A and PG-C to designate the difference between PG movies aimed at adults and those aimed at kids/families.
The ratings aren't designed to indicate who a movie is aimed at. It's dead simple for people to find out what a movie is going to be like these days; there's simply no excuse for just looking at the rating and assuming.

It IS true that the Disney name being so prominent on this movie makes it look like a kiddie version, so they should get some heat on this in my opinion.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 04:13 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original darker "candle " artwork perhaps gave a better idea of the tone of the film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: