Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3-D movie advertising (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3-D movie advertising
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had no problem with Disney advertising their DVDs & Blu Rays as Disney DVD/Disney Blu-Ray but the way they have been doing it with the theatrical release of A CHRISTMAS STORY has gone a bit too far. As we all know there are three methods to project films in 3-D in theatres at the present time-Dolby 3-D, Real D and IMAX 3-D. Newspaper advertisements for the film indicate the film is playing in selected Honolulu theatres in Disney 3-D, Real D and IMAX 3-D. Nowhere in the ad does it ever mention Dolby 3-D. Consolidated used to run a Dolby 3D trailer with their 3-D films but A CHRISTMAS CAROL opened with a Disney 3-D trailer giving the public the impression the film is being projected in a non existing system and that is wrong. I am wondering why Dolby is very quiet about this because I know the ads in our local paper is the same all over the country.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've griped about the "Disney Digital 3D" or Dreamworks' "InTru 3D" nonsense. It's a bunch of marketing bullshit. It's just as illogical as a movie studio coming up with a fake brand of digital sound or film format to relabel something really filmed in Panavision and shown with DD/DTS/SDDS audio.

I think it's also unfair for RealD to get the only billing on certain movie posters. IMAX 3D and RealD get listed on plenty of posters, trailers and TV commercials. I'm having trouble remembering if Dolby 3D has ever been listed on a movie poster one sheet, movie trailer or TV commercial.

Are the movie studios expecting Dolby to pay them some sort of advertising fee to be included? Is RealD and IMAX paying the studios some sort of ad money to prevent the rest of the majors from coming up with their fake 3D brands too?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 01:41 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few other 3D systems out there that deserve mentioning, like XpanD which is quite popular outside the USA, as well as Sony 3D ("4K").

Yet other systems, like Master Image, i.e, have a roughly equivalent mainstream system (i.e. Master Image is very similar in results and technique to RealD), so no biggie being omited.

Also, if Technicolor 35mm 3D system ever takes off, that's yet another system perhaps "worth differenciating".

But I feel the 3D system used in projection really doesn't even need to be mentioned, as the film is the same and can be output in any of those systems with theoretically IDENTICAL results.

All 3D systems offer good performance of similar quality when properly implemented. Sure it could be nice to tell polarizing systems using silver screens (Sony, Imax, RealD, Master Image, Technicolor) apart from (usually) non-silver screen ones (Xpand, Dolby), but that's the only significant difference between systems and it's not even due to the "3D" itself but the use of the silver screen (or not), which hotspotting and contrasty colors can be a bit annoying.

Otherwise, Sony and Imax may result in slightly less artifacts and better image quality (i.e. no "flicker", full 4:4:4 12bits path, etc).

Anyway. Disney 3D is "nothing", same as Dreamworks "Intru 3D" etc etc. They just like to put a marketing buzz to their movies being made in 3D. They can be delivered in whatever system you want since they all should produce the exact same result. And they do with only minor differences in "image quality" (color fidelity, ghosting) but exactly the same kind of "3D quality", if such thing even exists.

Things don't stick out more or less pronounced from the screen in any system AT ALL, they are ALL THE *EXACT* SAME result "3D-wise", in the sense that they all strive to obtain the EXACT same result on the screen and the minor differences in "2D" image quality (like color or resolution) among them are a result of physical limitations, like having to use color filters in Dolby or Silver Screens in most others.

Disney probably receives money or perks out of advertising RealD and Imax in the promos, and Dolby and Sony (and XpanD and Master Image) just refuse to pony-up and are happy with the patrons not being so aware of what system they are experiencing beforehand.

I heard the rumor that some Disney people (executives) were "friends" (i.e. had interest or ownership) with RealD, so maybe that's also why they get preferencial treatment in ads. RealD is very aggressive in their marketing as they were born thinking they would become a monopoly in digital cinema 3D and rip benefits from every single person that ever saw a 3D film in cinemas in the world in the future.

But it is annoying to claim a movie is (sort-of) "made" in RealD or Disney 3D or Imax when it's just made in "stereoscopic 3D", like every single 3D movie (just about) ever made, and then you can "print it" in whatever delivery format you want, as they all produce (or try to) the exact same result. To include in the actual movie credits for certain systems and not the others is not very responsable nor accurate.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that the movie industry would deceive us with hype and misinformation. [evil]

Is this really any worse than having a generation of movie-goers thinking some films were shot in THX?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always laugh a bit when remembering one stupid comment I heard at the City Cinemas Gramery Theater on 23rd Street in Manhattan back in 1990 when watching a 70mm print of Fantasia: "we should have gone to the Ziegfeld where they have that Panavision stuff."

quote: Julio Roberto
There are a few other 3D systems out there that deserve mentioning, like XpanD which is quite popular outside the USA, as well as Sony 3D ("4K").
For the advertising we see in the United States, I don't mind the omission of XpandD in the ads since few if any American movie theaters are using that system.

As far as Sony goes, didn't they make an agreement with RealD?

quote: Julio Roberto
I heard the rumor that some Disney people (executives) were "friends" (i.e. had interest or ownership) with RealD, so maybe that's also why they get preferencial treatment in ads.
Is Disney mentioning RealD in their ads? I can't remember because the situation is so damned confusing. All I see is their big FAKE "Disney Digital 3D" moniker being promoted. I do remember seeing RealD branding on some of the Monsters vs. Aliens promotional material. But, like a proper stinky asshole, the folks at Dreamworks only mentioned the phony baloney "InTru3D" nonsense when the topic of 3D was discussed in the extras on that movie's Blu-ray disc. I do seem to remember shots of RealD hardware being shown briefly however.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
As far as Sony goes, didn't they make an agreement with RealD?
Yeap. Even more confusing then, as "RealD" could mean a regular DLP (NEC, Barco, Christie, Kinoton, Cinemeccanica, etc) projector with either an active Zscreen or an XL-zscreen in front shooting a silver screen with circular polarized filters at 144hz alternating a left-right 4:2:2 10 bits signal or a Sony LCOS 4K with two over/under 2K 4:4:4 12 bits images with dual lenses mechanically converging on a silver screen through passive circular filters being simultaneously refreshed at 24hz.

Totally different systems. Yet both "RealD" if we are to give it the name of the "distributor/manufacturer".

quote: Bobby Henderson
... at Dreamworks only mentioned the phony baloney "InTru3D" nonsense
While it's true that "Disney 3D" is total baloney, Dreamworks is sort-of giving the InTru3D name to the "process and tools" they use INTERNALLY to make ANIMATED films. Basically, they just gave a stupid made-up name to their ability to see the animated film in stereoscopic 3D throught the whole process which, until recently, wasn't quite so much the case (i.e. the scene had to be "rendered" or the layers composited before the animator/operator could really see the end result stereoscopically).

But, regardless, they are both bullshitters for giving "catchy names" to internal, non-really special, processes which produce virtually the same results as any other.

But we all know the deal with Panavision etc. It is not really too important WHO manufactured a given anamorphic lense or whatnot. That doesn't define a "whole" process. It's either anamorphic (no matter who, really), Super35mm, flat, or academy, or whatever. Making a huge fuss over a very small part of the process being "so special, so different", when all it is is using a slightly different manufacturer of the same process everybody else uses, is just marketing crap.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 06:19 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Julio, I admire Panavision products but it was a huge mistake to have their logo on 1.85 films. This destroyed the marketing of cinema Scope presentation. Similarly, 70mm blow-ups in 1.85 ratio confused the public and diminished the power of the process.

I also object to the free advertising by record companies on our screens and posters for their sound track albums. After all, they charge us a licence fee.

At least all the 3D marketing leads to a 3D presentation, except (of course) for the 90% of us who don’t have 3D projection.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no problem with the Panavision logo on all films because it is the name of a company that produces both spherical and anamorphic lenses as well as cameras for the motion picture and television industries. Panavision scope movies like CinemaScope are not a different wide screen process but a variation of the original lens created by Dr. Henri Cretien, the French physicist. When the Panavision logo is used for flat films, there is a tag that states "Camera & Lenses by Panavision. If it was filmed in scope, it will read with the logo "Filmed in Panavision". If a film was shot with a spherical lens and presented in scope like Super 35, the credit will read Camera & Lenses by Panavision.

-Claude

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-08-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D is featured prominently here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/toystory3ddoublefeature/

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think instead of the posters and trailers saying

"IN 3-D!"

they ought to say

IN 3-D!*

*at additional cost

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 09:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Our Regal Theatre state in their directory advertisment---

A Christmas Carol 3D Event Pricing
10:30 1:00 3:30 6:00 9:30

-Claude

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 11:33 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think instead of the posters and trailers saying

"IN 3-D!"

they ought to say

IN 3-D!*

*at additional cost

Even more, they should at least say

*not available everywhere, in selected theaters only at an additional cost

... at least for the time being.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2009 12:05 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Revised: I think they should say:

"In 3-D!"
(At cinemas which can afford to blow $40,000 on something that could poop out in a year or two)

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 10:57 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a few years ago someone pointed out that they saw the "Filmed in Panavision" credit at the end of a Seinfeld episode. And I seem to recall that I saw it too. So, yes, Panavision is guilty of causing confusion.

In response to the original post, I have the opposite opinion. It doesn't matter what process is being used in the theatre to show 3-D. If I go to a theatre I can reasonably assume that they have the proper equipment to play the movies they're advertising. So "Disney Digital 3-D" is less of a problem than terms like "Disney DVD" and "Disney Blu-ray." An average Wal-Mart shopper really does have to worry whether the gear he's buying is capable of playing the discs he wants to play. And most shoppers don't care to know the previous 15-year history of home theatre gear before they just go out and buy a @#$% piece of hardware! So, Disney's implication that they have a special home entertainment format is not welcomed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2009 11:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
If I go to a theatre I can reasonably assume that they have the proper equipment to play the movies they're advertising.
Which is why I make every possible effort to strip out any "3-D" reference to all the movies we play. Sometimes it takes some trial and error on trailers, but those 3-D promotional bits are GONE.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: