Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New NATO Set-up

Author Topic: New NATO Set-up
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article om NATO in the November Boxoffice twice and came away not understanding how NATO represents the small town and rural single screen operator. How about you?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2009 05:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which article?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I manage a 5 screen theatre and a drive-in in a small down. My company has one other theatre - a 7 screen in a slightly larger community.

My boss is on the NATO of California board. He frequently has meetings and conversations with John Fithian (?sp), Milt Moritz, and other NATO heads.

I have been involved in NATO Ratings Compliance meetings where NATO member feedback has been used to direct change in the MPAA. For example, the "Appropriate Audience" green bands have (at least in part) come from those meetings where there has been an expressed desire to help differentiate between trailers intended for G and PG films and those intended for R rated films.

Plus, every spring and fall, NATO of California hosts a product seminar for theatre managers to see product from the studios and meet with studio relations people.

While it may not be a huge influence, NATO has certainly had an impact in my work.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the mag in front of me Mike but it's the only article on NATO in the November issue. My question is does NATO represent the small town and rural single screen operator?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2009 09:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...NATO always sends one or two reps to our Rocky Mountain convention, even though it's a small one...and they stay for the whole thing, they don't just give a speech and take off.

They have responded instantly and respectfully when I've emailed them, even though we're in one of the smallest of the small towns; they supply us with as many of the "ratings explanation posters" as we want; and I know that Bill Campbell (who is himself a small independent operator) is working hard to get reasonable terms on digital conversions through the CBG arm of NATO.

They also have sent people to Montana at least 3 times (that I know of) to testify before the Legislature against the "anti-obscenity" bills that keep coming up -- none of which has passed yet-- and they're willing to go to bat for us anytime on legislative issues. There is at least one NATO board member who pretty much makes a fulltime job of watching state legislatures.

There's also an Independent Theatre Owners committee within NATO which looks at issues regarding small towns. A Montana circuit owner and good friend of ours, Ayron Pickerill, serves on that committee.

They helped us work with Deluxe Film Shipping when they closed their Montana depot, to get reasonable shipping rates and help them understand and deal with the unique conditions that exist in Montana (remote locations, long shipping times, etc.).

There are less than 80 independent screens in this state, so given the level of support and participation we get from them, I would say the answer to the question is yes.

Jeff Logan
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 01:01 AM      Profile for Jeff Logan   Email Jeff Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new NATO board structure gives the small, independent exhibitor more representation than before. There are now 4 seats on the executive board reserved for independents (defined as under 100 screens). I am one of those four. I operate 11 screens. Two are in towns of 15,000 plus a single screener in a town of 3,000 in South Dakota. One of my theatres is a single screen drive in. I actively work and manage my theatres. I'm about as rural and independent as you can get! If you are a member of national NATO and have a concern, problem, issue, call me. I'll be happy to talk with you on the phone or email. I know that the other 3 independents on the exec. board would also be happy to do the same. Let me know if you want my direct contact info.

As far as NATO doing work for the independent, NATO has always worked for the independent as much as the larger circuit. I've been active with national for over 10 years. The business climate in our industry would not be as good as it is if it were not for NATO. NATO has, and is, constantly fighting to maintain the 4 month window before DVD/cable release. We would all like it to be longer, but it would be a lot shorter if it were not for NATO. NATO works with the feds on keeping national life safety and ADA codes reasonable. The NATO theatre staff training tapes are a great resource for the independent. The big circuits all contributed their time and ideas. So the result is a compilation of best practices for the industry. You can use the tapes to train your staffs using the best techniques from the "big boys." Most of those circuits still use them themselves. The annual online Encyclopedia of Exhibition is a wonderful resource of facts and statistics that help the independent plan your own future and strategy and to write business plans for your bank. In a hundred ways, NATO makes the life of the independent easier and more profitable. Get involved in your regional unit and the national organization and you'll see first hand. The dues investment will more than pay off for you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: