Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 2012 vs. Avatar (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 2012 vs. Avatar
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 03:28 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one is going to be bigger? Despite the Roland Emmerich-ness of it I think 2012 will be more popular. Avatar is trying too hard and that's a bad sign. Besides - those creatures look cartoonish and I think that could turn people off.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 04:37 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people don't want to see the world destroyed in movies so much anymore. It all looks the same. A movie about a small town getting destroyed would be more interesting.

I think Avatar will outgross 2012 by at least 3x or more.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 06:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the original trailer of AVATAR I was really worried. I bet Fox and Cameron are mightily pissed they went with that lame trailer first. If they'd just hit with the new 3.5 minute one the buzz would be huge.

2012 just bores the crap out of me.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-02-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I quite understand the story premise of Avatar. I worry the script may contain a lot of heavy handed, preachy allegory about what we're doing to our planet and its environment today. And I'm a little concerned about the 12 year span of time that has passed since James Cameron's previous film was released.

Despite those concerns, I think Avatar will probably make a huge amount of money. There is a lot of really cool futuristic eye-candy on display in this show. James Cameron has a bankable name and enviable track record.

2012 vs. Avatar? No contest. I think Avatar wins.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 11:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I'm a little concerned about the 12 year span of time that has passed since James Cameron's previous film was released.
Yeah - look at what happened to George Lucas when he took a break.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:50 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the part about how most of us can't stand the newer Star Wars movies or the part about how Episode One grossed over $400 million?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 06:51 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I think people don't want to see the world destroyed in movies so much anymore.
Are you kidding? People love watching stuff blow up and get destroyed.

I'm worried about Avatar too. It looks like it could be preachy, and THAT is what turns people off - especially now. People are pretty tuned into that stuff and reject it when they see it. So if Avatar took that path, it stands a chance of having a big opening and then dying quickly.

On the other hand, TONS of people already believe (or suspect) that the world is ending in 2012 and not for any man-made reasons. I think those folks will go see the movie to "inform" themselves on how it will happen.

If nothing else, I think if 2012 sticks to the premise of what 2012 theorists already believe (Earth crossing galactic equator, poles switching, etc.) and doesn't try to say it's OUR fault the world is ending, it stands a really good chance of giving Avatar a run for its money. On the other hand, everyone remembers The Day After Tomorrow and how THAT movie tried to say it was our fault, so 2012 may have an uphill battle. Especially since one of the ads I saw for it bragged "From the Director of The Day After Tomorrow". That was NOT a savvy move in this political climate.

Tough choice.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 07:28 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I have to agree with Mark.

My wife and I went to see Zombieland this past weekend, and they ran the newest 2012 trailer. After the trailer ended, I leaned over and whispered to my wife, "I love disaster films!"

-David

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
People love watching stuff blow up and get destroyed.
Yeah, but I meant "major landmarks" like in every recent film. Car chases and explosions are great, but who wants to see the Eiffel Tower collapse again? Or see New York get laid to waste...again?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
On the other hand, TONS of people already believe (or suspect) that the world is ending in 2012
Why? Because the Mayans didn't bother to update their calendar before their ancient civilization officially disbanded? That seems like a silly reason.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Greg - that is the silly reason! My "Hot Mormon Muffins" calendar only goes through 2010!

Watching the trailer for 2012 I was thinking how much fun it COULD be...watching Avatar I was wondering wtf they are trying to do.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 02:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand...Roland Emmerich made one half decent movie (Independence Day) then continued to turn out crap. 'Godzilla', 'The Day After Tomorrow', '10,000 BC'...while James Cameron has always delivered a great film. 'The Terminator', 'Aliens', 'Terminator 2', 'True Lies', 'Titanic'...

I know who I'm putting my faith in.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
Do you mean the part about how most of us can't stand the newer Star Wars movies or the part about how Episode One grossed over $400 million?
Well, the former, obviously. I would play "Monkey Beer Farts Part 12" if it would put a lot of butts in the seats.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-03-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one will you all buy on Blu-ray?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: