Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theater Reviews - a work in progress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theater Reviews - a work in progress
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a long time of hand-wringing and over-thinking the entire process, I've released a theater reviews feature on The BigScreen Cinema Guide.

It's a soft launch, as I want to work some of the wrinkles out of it. I guess Google would call it a "beta" and let it sit like that for a few years, but I'd rather get the feature out there and get some feedback before making any big announcements.

That's why I'm talking about it here. There have been threads off and on about the quality of presentations at various theaters over time, and I thought that the members here would be able to provide some examples of what worthwhile reviews should look like and provide me with some valuable feedback on making improvements to make the feature more useful.

My goal is to make it a useful tool for getting an impression of what a movie-going experience is like at each theater. I'm hoping that our readers will post both the good and the bad, even though I know that human nature is not to say anything unless it's a complaint about something. If a theater is really making a mess of things, people should know. Likewise, if a theater is "doing film right" that needs to be said as well.

Here's my first two attempts at writing theater reviews:

IPic Theatres at Bayshore Town Center - Glendale, WI
http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=10641&view=comments

Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinemas - South Barrington, IL
http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=12644&view=comments

Currently, this is only a free form posting format. As time goes on, I'd like to add things like:

* How did the movie look?
* How did the movie sound?
* Staff Friendliness/Knowledge/Helpfulness
* Condition of theater (seats, bathrooms, lobby, etc.)
* Overall experience

Depending on the feedback here, I might accelerate adding those ratings if people think it has value.

I appreciate any and all help that anyone is willing to provide. We do require registered (free) accounts to post, which should keep down on the cranks and spam, but it's easy to sign up and start posting right away.

Please feel free to find a theater you've attended:

http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php

and post your comments!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kinda reminds me, what happened to our buddy Evans Criswell? He used to do theater reviews in Alabama.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now added ratings buttons for the following:

- Picture Quality
- Sound Quality
- Staff Friendliness/Knowledge/Helpfulness
- Condition of theater (seats, bathrooms, lobby, etc.)
- Overall Experience

The possible ratings are No Answer, Excellent, Good, Poor, and Unacceptable.

Plus, an additional question of "Would you recommend this theater to others?"

All feedback is appreciated, thanks for the input so far!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-18-2009 03:47 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott

I'd be adding, but cinemas close to me are pretty far away from you.

Do you provide for Sydney cinemas?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 07:19 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, we don't have any theaters listed in Australia, but we do have them in the US (and its territories), Canada, and the UK.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still around. I quit doing the reviews back around 2005 because of general lack of interest from anyone else. Nobody really cares that much about the reviews that I did. The movie showtimes links are all that anyone used, except for the email or two that I get per year about the historical stuff.

Just so there's a picture on the screen and the sound is "reasonable", 99 percent of the people will be happy. The main shortcoming of some of our local theatres, having most of the screens 1.85:1 with no adjustable masking and showing scope movies chopped to 1.85:1 in the old Cobb locations, was fixed in 2003. With some of the theatres now being digital, as well as other changes, a lot of my information became outdated and irrelevant.

A general loss of interest in seeing movies at the theatres happened around that time due to a sudden surge of excessive advertising before the trailers. Also, the transition to the practice of having a pre-show program from a digital computer projector chocked full of ads, as well as a glut of movies uninteresting to me with the same old actors and actresses over and over, caused me to find other ways to entertain myself.

I removed the links to the presentation quality reviews a while ago, and need to redesign the site to reflect its focus on historical information.

I'd just rather watch movies with groups of friends at my house on the 57-inch widescreen. We can control the volume, pause the movie if we need to, and so on, and not have to deal with all of the obnoxious moviegoers who have lost all of the previous generations's knowledge of "public manners".

I haven't even done any historical research in years.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-27-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's another aspect that should be added to a theater review: the quality of the crowd -mainly meaning its behavior.

I dump on the Dickinson Theaters' Central Mall 12 here in Lawton for its lacking capability to show movies with good presentation quality. However, the main reason, by far, why I avoid that theater is the kind crowd that goes there: noisy, unruly teenagers and other unaccompanied children.

A good number of teens visit our local Carmike theater too, but it seems like most of them prefer going to the mall theater because after all, it's in the mall.. Certain grown adults have no idea how to properly behave in a movie theater either. I grit my teeth and endure the occasional audience member disruption at the Carmike. The mall theater features nothing but disruption. Some locals around here joke that a movie audience at the Central Mall 12-plex features more lit up phone displays than cigarette lighters burning during a ballad at a Journey concert.

I applaud theater chains like Warren Theaters who have the guts to take a no tolerance approach to things like obsessive cell phone use while a show is in progress. Such theaters automatically deserve a higher grade for that approach.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rating the crowd is an interesting concept -- not one I had considered!

I agree that other patrons have a great effect on the moviegoing experience. A few weeks ago, I had a woman (probably mid-40's) in the row ahead of me decide to start texting during the movie. I almost said something, but she finally put it away.

When I was at an NFL football game last month, they had notices on the digital billboards about texting to report unruly fans. Maybe theaters need to have a way to be texted when there are issues with patrons, picture, sound, etc. Of course, that creates an issue of opening a phone to text about someone texting...

Back to reviewing the crowd; I think that theaters should be called out for not controlling their customers, and applauded for reigning in problems effectively.

Such considerations could be covered by the "Overall Experience" rating and a mention in the comments text about the crowd behavior and what, if anything, the theater did about it.

We actually got a comment about the crowd recently for the Regal Hollywood 16 in Ocala, FL:

http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=2986&view=comments

The theater comments are coming in slowly, but the ones we've gotten have been pretty good. One about a concession worker eating out of the popper while playing with her hair was especially interesting...

Please consider entering your comments about theaters, as good examples will encourage others to do the same! Here's the comment page for the Central Mall 12 in Lawton:

http://www.bigscreen.com/Marquee.php?theater=7832&view=comments

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rating the crowd would definitely vary with the time of day. I'm usually at the "old folks" screenings early in the day, and I haven't heard a rowdy crowd in years. I'm sure that it is different at an evening screening of a rowdy comedy or horror film.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-27-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, it makes perfect sense to factor the crowd according to the day and time in which the show was playing. For instance, a packed, sold-out crowd on a Saturday night which behaves as it should with minimal to no disruptions (as movie goers did in 1962 perhaps) would receive a strongly positive reaction. Likewise an usher who ejects an cellphone using idiot would also receive a positive notice.

On the topic of phones and movie theaters, why doesn't the iPhone already have a "stealth" movie theater operation mode? It's the perfect phone, isn't it!? You pay way out the ass for the dear privilege of merely using one of those phones, right? Even the first version was perfect, not counting the following versions that were even more perfect! Apple Inc. is the all seeing all knowing entity that ever existed on planet Earth and anything it ever does is only ever perfect. Well, WTF? What is the company's excuse for overlooking this important "feature?" Why can't someone obsessively send text messages in a crowded movie theater like a crack-addicted, ADD afflicted idiot without pissing off other viewers nearby? Honestly, this was an easy one for ANY phone company to get right, never mind the geniuses in residence at Apple. EPIC FAIL, you morons!!! We've been annoyed by damned fucking cellphones in movie theaters, churches and other places where phones shouldn't belong for more than a decade. Why haven't these problems been addressed? Some folks at Apple, AT&T, Research in Motion, Microsoft, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. need a severe beating for this shit. Fucking assholes. Maybe this is part of their plot on destroying the commercial movie theater industry so we can all just only have plain fucked TV.
[Mad]

You understand I'm teeing off on these "faceless corporations" over this nonsense because we can't do what really should be done: carry the cellphone user out behind the theater and beat him with baseball bats until he's nothing more than a smeary red grease spot.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Maybe this is part of their plot on destroying the commercial movie theater industry so we can all just only have plain fucked TV
What they want is even worse. They want everybody to watch movies on little 3.5" screens.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2009 09:17 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

It sounds like you're looking for a "night mode" similar to what GPS units have so that the map goes from a white to a black background at night so you don't have the mostly-white display glaring at you in the dark.

Since I'm one of the few people that doesn't have an iPhone, I have no idea if such a thing is possible. However, I'd be happy to check it out if someone would be willing to front me the $199 plus $36 activation fee... [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Apple really was the perfect company, they would come out with the "iCourtesy" for movie theatres to install in each auditorium. This handy device would still allow the phone to receive calls, but it would make the phone display a message saying "You have a call from John Smith, but you'll need to go to the lobby to answer it...or press HERE to send the call to voicemail" and from there it wouldn't work until you were in the lobby.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-28-2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
It sounds like you're looking for a "night mode" similar to what GPS units have so that the map goes from a white to a black background at night so you don't have the mostly-white display glaring at you in the dark.
Yeah. That's right. I guess the GPS folks figured out that one since using one of those units at night is like to trying to drive at night with someone shining a LED-based flashlight in your face. Maybe the dream team of attorneys told Garmin or whoever they might get sued over the issue.

Obviously the cell phone people, including Apple, Inc., do not get it or they just plain don't give a shit about it, which may be the more likely thing.

As self-loving as Apple, Inc. is these days I imagine they probably expect a movie theater viewer to be overcome with unbridled joy when a cellphone rings or a cellphone's display lights up like a bright flashlight while a movie is playing in a dark theater. And if an Apple® iPhone™ happens to be the device ringing or lighting up, then I guess I'm supposed to explode an immense orgasm into my Joe Boxer shorts. I shouldn't be pissed. I should be extremely happy and asking someone for a cigarette (and some napkins to clean up the Peter North sized mess)!

With the sort of price gouging fashion conscious cellphone users must endure for the privilege of owning an iPhone, I can only figure Apple and AT&T are saving the "movie theater stealth mode" app as a very expensive add on.

"Want to not piss off an entire theater's audience with your phone? There's an app for that. And that will cost you $598, sucker! Plus an extra $5 per month on your phone bill!"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
As self-loving as Apple, Inc. is these days I imagine they probably expect a movie theater viewer to be overcome with unbridled joy when a cellphone rings
Don't tell me you haven't caught on to this basic truth: That's the whole reason cell phones are so popular. It has almost nothing to do with communication and convenience; those are only icing on the cake. What's really attractive to people is, when that phone rings, it tells the world "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT PERSON WHO IS CONNECTED, DAMMIT!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: