Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » No film delivery (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No film delivery
Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nasty episode where i was waiting for Time Travelers Wife to turn up from a crossover. It was suppose to be here Friday morning. I have a small single screen cinema where people can pay and pre book tickets. It was sold out on both shows on Friday. By 3pm i was told it was in Cambridge so be with me by the hour. to cut a long story short it never arrived. The evening was a nightmare and can not believe i had a no show for a film. The print handlers was given duff information from the couriers. Its now six weeks after i emailed the couriers which they have admitted it was there fault. I told them what my compensation is and heard nothing since.

Entertainment Films are not happy this has happened too.

What do you think i should do next? Shall I get my insurers to deal with it?

Burleigh

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the courier has admitted fault (hopefully you got the name of the person who admitted it), I would total up your losses and send them a bill. Keep after them until they pay. Keep going up the managerial ladder until you get to somebody who can make a decision to pay you.

You could threaten legal action if you think it might help, but I would strongly caution doing that because if they say, "Fine, go ahead and sue us!" then you're stuck with hiring a lawyer and there goes all your cash. A better solution would just be to keep bugging them, daily if necessary, until they pay up.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The distributor of the film is responsible for getting the film to you and are who hired the non performing courier. The courier is responsible to whoever hired them. The contract between the courier and anybody they deliver for probably limits liability in a case like this to refund of whatever the cost of the shipping was.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is Bill is right. I've had a few missouts over the years, all that ever happens is we don't get billed for the shipping.

It's the distribs responsibility, maybe you can negotiate down the percentage for the week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
The distributor of the film is responsible for getting the film to you and are who hired the non performing courier.
This is true, but in most cases the courier won't say "it was our fault." They will just come up with stupid excuses to save their own butt. But in this case, since the courier SAID it was their fault, I'd think he'd have a good chance of collecting. Of course, it was probably some low level flunkie who admitted the fault, so it could be a waste of time trying to collect...but they might pay up just to make him go away.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 01:53 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the courier company. The big ones say "So sue us."
We still have half a print of a film; the other half just never arrived.
There was also a fairly valuable tape player that arrived smashed up. "What do you expect us to do about it?" was the carrier's response. (same carrier).
All we can do is to never use this particular carrier again and recommend (privately of course) that no one else uses them. So far this would have cost that company much more than the cost of making things right in the first place.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 03:12 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, you cannot take anything for granted when dealing with print deliveries. Even though we book films weeks in advance, there are frequent situations where we have to chase-up prints.

Get to know all the telephone numbers of those people involved in the delivery chain and be prepared to do some phoning around if you start to suspect a non-delivery. It is often possible to locate where the print is located and take some action to either personally recover it or speed-up its progress. You have to be very pro-active.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 08:15 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Frodsham
Get to know all the telephone numbers of those people involved in the delivery chain and be prepared to do some phoning around if you start to suspect a non-delivery.
Good advice, though a nightmare to acquire. When UPS took over the Technicolor deliveries I had to spend days hacking my way up the corporate ladder. I finally got the local depots phone number, which they protect like it is gold.

The bigger the company, the bigger the pain in the butt. I'm sure there's an MBA dissertation somewhere that divines the point where a company gets so big it is incapable of saying "Sorry, we screwed up, what can we do to fix it?" That sentence alone could save thousands of man-hours and frustration on all sides.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 12:42 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We must be lucky, in that we've had no problems with the Technicolor/UPS transition. As with DFS, any film that is not delivered by Thursday (or that we don't pick up from the depot ourselves) either arrives by private courier or we circuit ourselves. In these cases we know about the issue by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Don't know why it should matter, but we had one past case, where a Technicolor/DHL print did not arrive by Friday night. Luckily, it was only a second feature and we were able to carry over the old one for that day.

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that. I do think Mike is the way to go and i will perserveir to get the right result. Thanks Andy for your true words and its been a learning curve since i opened in March this year. I will post pics of the place soon. I normally use DHL but Entertainment uses another company and this was there first delivery here.
I will email the couriers again tonight.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 06:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, having your UPS depot's phone number is definitely a goldmine. We've had ours for years, and the folks at the depots are always helpful when you call them about package problems--I think it must be because nobody else has their phone number [Smile]

We've never had any problems with UPS for TES film deliveries; I have occasional minor snafus with them on other packages, but that's par for the course, and doesn't rise to the level of complaint...

Burleigh, I have to say, if you're emailing people about the problem, rather than calling, it would not surprise me if they did not take you seriously.

--jhawk

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 12:13 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Frodsham
Sadly, you cannot take anything for granted when dealing with print deliveries. Even though we book films weeks in advance, there are frequent situations where we have to chase-up prints.
There seem to be an ever increasing number of couriers each doing a small part of the UK print (and digital drive) transport, sometimes subcontracting to other companies when overnight transport is needed. It is not uncommon to have four (or more) different companies collecting or delivering films.

Often information does not reach the cinema in time, so a print is collected by the normal bulk return service instead of the overnight express carrier (who does not know what film they are due to collect, or where to deliver it).

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a print of "Vampires Assistant" not arrive for a midnight showing on thursday. Technicolor finally called back at 7:45 to say the print was at the local UPS depot and they had no way to deliver it until the next morning. I asked if I could pick it up and they said we could but that the depot closed at 8:30 Luckily I made it in time.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-25-2009 08:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have told technicolor to call a taxi service to go pick it up for you. I've had many prints delivered by taxi and it was Tech's responsibility to get it to you for a screening.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do distributors arrange priority (before 9AM, 11AM or midday) deliveries of films without telling the cinema?

These can be delivered from 8AM (depending on courier) when almost every cinema is closed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: