Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Poorly planned exit doors etc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Poorly planned exit doors etc
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings:

Is it only me that find this bothersome: Modern movie theatres in which the screen is off certer to accomodate poorly planned exit doors? We are all used to this in the older single screen theatres that were chopped up. In some cases it was unavoidable; In other cases theatre owners took shortcuts. But whats the excuse in modern day construction?

In these same autitoriums, the screens typically come within 6 inches of the oposite wall. This causes stray light to illuminate the wall.

This is how new theatres in the San Francisco area are typically built. I appreciate newer facilities being built but would like it if more went into the auditorium design.

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Alex Edwards
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Alex Edwards   Email Alex Edwards       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen, many theaters are built with minimal space between screen and wall because they like to pack in as many screens as possible in a certain space which then creates tiny shoeboxes that they call auditoriums. Lunatics...

By the way, this should probably be in the Ground Level Forum

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-07-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding specifically San Francisco, I assume you're talking about Century.

I don't have that much of a problem with Century's design. The entry is parallel down the same side and the seating is still centered to the screen and front channel speakers. The surrounds on the entry/exit side can be balanced to compensate. The exit itself becomes nearly invisible when the lights are down since the "EXIT" sign is usually by the door and not glowing at you during the presentation.

There are lots of others who don't do this as well, and I have lots of issues with Century builds as far as too many small auditoriums and small screens, but if they were going to insist on this particular design characteristic, I think they did it as well as one could.

In any case, it's not a problem for Century anymore... [Roll Eyes]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the camp of there is no excuse for such a design. My preferred solution is to use a curved masking track and fixed scope masking, such that the movable masking ends up on the side walls of the auditorium when in scope (letting the fixed masking do the job), or for flat the curtains move in.

Shrink the damn screen if you have to by a foot on each side, but don't put it off center of the room. [Mad]

I also have few nice things to say for people who put colored curtains ANYWHERE on the screen wall. For that matter, nothing but black curtains should ever be used for the first 15 feet of the room...barring actual screen curtains, which must become hidden behind black strips once opened.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-10-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: you have it exactly right. Have done this since 1974. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-10-2009 11:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Shrink the damn screen if you have to by a foot on each side, but don't put it off center of the room.

(Should show you picts of some houses over here that have off-centered screens as mentioned above .. just plain horrible..)

Yea, the black emphasizes the screen more readilly...especially with the usage of dubatene - that flat black, light absorbing material..

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte: Yes, the real advantage is that the screen swims in a sea of blackness. It is not possible to reference anything against the room; corners and wall-to-ceiling angles disappear in blackness. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several customers over the years do completely black theaters. I like it and there is absolutely nothing distracting one from the screen in these locations. There IS nothing in general in a multiplex you need to show off anyway... If you do somethng glitzy in a room then it tends to be distracting.

I tend to find watching films in old movie palaces distracting. I tend to let me eyes wander around during the film looking at how the light from the screen illuminates the different objects in the room and so on.

Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 01:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie palaces were built in a time when the movies were so bad they had to build theatres to look at. Marcus Loew once said he sold tickets to theatres not to movies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-11-2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that to Bill but I don't agree that movies were bad back then. Better for sure!

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Black auditoriums......UA painted the interior of their San Francisco Vogue Theatre this way. Wainscoating is black, upper walls and ceiling are charcoal. Subtle blue molding down the sides. Looks great and works well.

Mike

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-11-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard that to Bill but I don't agree that movies were bad back then. Better for sure!

Mark:

Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Applies to movies back then, too. It is just there were so damn many of them being cranked out in the Golden Age we only remember the good ones. Look at a Boxoffice Magazine release chart for any year in the 1940's. Really, how many Ma & Pa Kettle (and knockoff) movies did the world need?

On the other hand, yes movie palaces can be distracting, but at least they give you something to look at during a boring movie. It's like stained glass windows at church;>

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Wrote:

"I also have few nice things to say for people who put colored curtains ANYWHERE on the screen wall......."

What makes the above even worse, is when they overcut the aperature plate so the "spill over" goes beyond the black masking and lights up the colored drapes.

Mike

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, how many Ma & Pa Kettle (and knockoff) movies did the world need?

These movies may look quaint and dated now, but they were very successful in their day. Remember that in the 1940's, much of America was still rural and the issues the Kettles humorously faced were very real to many people.

Every generation has had their good and bad movies. Sometimes due to changing tastes over the years, movies that were popular become not so, or the opposite. For example, The Wizard Of Oz was a financial failure in it's initial theatrical runs. The film did not turn a profit until it was sold to television some 20 years later.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
These movies may look quaint and dated now, but they were very successful in their day.
I didn't say they weren't successful -- quality has nothing to do with attendance [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: