Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Anyone have problems booking films with Sony???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone have problems booking films with Sony????
Bob Cunningham
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Bob Cunningham   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have problems booking films with Sony?????

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 12:35 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deafening silence . . . interesting.

Sounds like the internet gestapo is listening.

Don't ask any questions about Disney either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...either that or nobody has any problems to report. I know we don't -- with Sony OR Disney, other than the usual "not enough prints" situation which is nothing out of the ordinary.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, are there other theaters in your market, and how do they compare to yours, in terms of total gross, opening gross, and individual ticket prices? You don't even need to post those answers here, just think about them. In my experience, Sony usually does not book product with a smaller, older theater with lower ticket prices if there is a newer, bigger theater with higher ticket prices in the market.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought SONY was great with the small town people - works with no problems, loves to have business with you, et.al. ..

Just as with other companies - you play ball their way and don't tick them off.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of reasons for the silence: 1) This forum seems to be dominated by the booth folks who in many cases have nothing to do with booking, and 2) No one wants to piss off any studio or studio rep.

What problems are you having?

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2) No one wants to piss off any studio or studio rep.

That's why i mention Disney. Long story, but it happened up in your neck of the woods when I worked for Time Warner Cable in Kansas City, Mo.

In a newsgroup, I NEVER identified my self as a cable employee, I used a handle, did not use my name, and made one off hand comment about Disney in a thread that was complaining about Disney starting a second channel and moving all of the good content to it, and two days later had my boss, his boss and the VP of Marketing talking to me in the office. Seems Disney didn't like it and tracked me down. After showing them all of my posts, they laughed it off, and said not to worry about it. They were amazed that Disney would go through all that trouble for one single comment made in jest. This was when broadband first came out, and the internet was somewhat new. Many companies overreacted when anything was posted about them online.

Still remember . . . they are watching. [uhoh]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought SONY was great with the small town people - works with no problems, loves to have business with you,
We have found this to be true. They are also great at taking care of onesheet/trailer requests and etc. And unlike some other film companies, they had a presence at the recent Rocky Mountain convention (about half of the majors were there).

Sony is also willing to go the extra mile to get a print out here when it's needed, no matter where it's sitting. They once overnighted a print to us from New York -- it probably cost them more in shipping than we paid in film rent for that week!

Bob Cunningham
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Bob Cunningham   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'd like to clarify that I posted one question concerning only SONY Pictures and not Disney. I want to make it clear that I'm not having difficulties with any other film studios whatsoever.
To start with, my pricing structure is the same if not more than other small movie theatres in my area. Which include; Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Jacksonville branches.
Question number two: How long does it take independent circuits to confirm bookings after Sony screenings? Also, what do studios consider to be a wide enough release of prints to include ALL small circuits?
To add alongside the questions is that I've never had a problem with Sony Exhibitor relations at all. They've always been cordial and professionial to me-the same way, I feel that, I've dealt with the studios over the eight years that I've been booking with them.
I've been booking for small family-owned, independent film circuit that has been in business for over 32 years. I believe these circuits have one of the best business reputations I've ever seen in my life.
I have questions that I will inquire of the Sony executives at Show East which I believe are valid. I would greatly appreciate it if any other industry professional would post their input on this site. Many thanks to Brad for having this wonderful site on which we may all air our honest opinions!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bob Cunningham
Question number two: How long does it take independent circuits to confirm bookings after Sony screenings? Also, what do studios consider to be a wide enough release of prints to include ALL small circuits?

Usually, confirmations are fairly quick. I'm under the strong impression that these things are already in the works before the screenings take place. Of course, this can't be confirmed, as the states which require screenings also prevent the studios from awarding films before the screening takes place. In practicality though, I think it's just an exercise. Few exhibitors actually go to any but the most major screenings, yet theatres which are customarily first-run still get most everything that gets pushed into the pipeline.

I don't think there's a magic print number that guarantees anything. 3500 prints can go a long ways, or it can be eaten up very quickly by 24-screen googleplexes that prefer not to interlock... especially if pickings are slim that week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, there is no set formula for anything. It also depends on the movie - i.e. the next Spiderman, they'll start taking names a few weeks ahead and probably have to turn some down depending on print count; but some lesser-blockbusterish film, they might start calling the bookers and asking for playdates if they're really trying to sell it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-05-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
other than the usual "not enough prints" situation which is nothing out of the ordinary.

I've already heard that distribution is cutting back on quantities ordered of most release prints. A number of customers were told no film but digital yes.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-06-2009 12:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
A number of customers were told no film but digital yes.

Which happened to us with the opening of "Meatballs" - no film but digital yes.

REG got both versions on that opening weekend.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2009 12:04 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had no idea digital had been around so long. [Wink]

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

IMHO, the only time you can expect automatic prints are the summer blockbusters and Thanksgiving/Christmas. Those will be somewhere in the 4000+ locations. The holidays seem to go down to the 3600 range.

So far in 2009, 11 movies have opened in greater than 3600 locations. Another 11 fall between 3200 and 3599 locations.
Many decent grossing locations have trouble getting films less than 3200 locations.

Only 8 of those 22 movies has been released outside of the summer mos (May 1- Aug 30).

As far as confirming prints goes: The summer/holiday films make sure you get word to the studio that you want to play it 3 weeks out and the confirmation usually happens pretty quickly. On the other titles, I would let them know you want the film 5 weeks out and if you know that it might be tough to get a print give supporting evidence that you deserve it. I find Rentrak's website to be a very valuable tool. I was able to get a print of Meatballs b/c I was able to show how we have done better than we normaly do on the childrens/family movies.

BTW, Meatballs played in 1697 3d locations. Toy Story double feature 1745 and at least 795 3d locations kept playing Meatballs after TS came out. The majority of theaters in the KC area who only have 1 3d screen are now playing Meatballs on film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: