Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Will New Moon's midnight premier beat Half Blood Prince's? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Will New Moon's midnight premier beat Half Blood Prince's?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-26-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already seeing quite a few sellouts here in regular old 35mm theaters, and the movie doesn't come out for almost two months.

Predictions?

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-26-2009 06:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YIKES. Megaplex 17 has already sold out...or nearly sold out...at least four midnight shows. AND sold over half an auditorium for a 2:40am show.

Unless the "Sold Out" auditoriums really ARE sold out and just not on sale yet...Then they've already sold 11 other shows.

I don't get it. The demographic appeal is limited to girls and depressed bisexual boys, right?

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that demographic the same reason that Titanic grossed so much?

quote: Sam Graham
girls
I assume you mean females, right, or do you just mean young ladies? I know plenty of ladies in their 20s, 30s and 40s that are completely ga-ga over these books.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesnt seem to be doing that well here in Dallas, but I'm only basing this on word of mouth, not actual numbers. A lot of fans here seemed to be disappointed with the 1st one and are grumbling about this one already. We've had way more people ask about Avatar than New Moon. But, no I don't think New Moon will beat HP6 in midnights.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not knocking the books, I hear they are well written, but I thought the first one was pretty poor.

Sure it is great seeing your favorite characters on screen, I guess, but even if they are bland and well written?

I mean, at least "G.I. Joe" was entertaining (and even funny, though not intentionally so).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal People's Plaza in DE has "12:01, 12:02, 12:03, 12:04" sold out. Not sure if that translates to four theaters or four interlocks or what.

Also, Regal Brandywine now has two sold out times and have added a third.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Karl Borowski
the books, I hear they are well written
I beg to differ. I've read all four, I did enjoy the basic storyline and the world that was created (and for the most part, most of the characters), but what took me out of the story in each book was Meyer's poor writing!

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You beg to differ that *heard* they are well written? [Razz]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 09:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I almost put a parenthetical thought explaining that I begged to differ with what you heard, not that you heard it, but then decided against it... oh well.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But will it rival the Dark Knight? I don't recall the Dark Knight being sold out THIS far in advance. It started selling out only 2 weeks before (except for IMAX). Tune in for the exciting conclusion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real question for me (and other single screeners, I'm guessing) is whether to book New Moon or Old Dogs, since they come out a week apart.

Old Dogs looks good for rural America because it's rated PG, is a Disney comedy, stars two popular guys (Travolta and Williams), was directed by the director of Wild Hogs, has cute kids and a dog, and is a reliable genre (kids vs. inexperienced dads). If it isn't a stupid film, it could be a big hit with good word of mouth.

On the other hand, Twilight is Twilight.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 10:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal here has 3 midnight shows scheduled (so far), with 2 sold out.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2009 12:04 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2009 07:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
On the other hand, Twilight is Twilight.

Exactly! I'd run the other film as a service to your community. You definately don't want all the depressed bisexual boys comming out of the woodwork....

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-

I would play New Moon. The twihards will go to any length to see it. If you don't play it on the break, they will travel. Old Dogs, on the other hand, if good will still play well off the break.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: