Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cleaning and Drying IMAX 3D glasses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning and Drying IMAX 3D glasses
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened IMAX today and I have a question. Do you guys have a quick method for drying the 3D glasses, since the washer doesn't have a dryer for that. They said to get an air compressor to blow the water off of them.

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a split off the main air line sent to our MPX. Routed the hose downstairs to the room with the washer.

A word of caution: Make sure management informs all staff that are going to be using the compressed air that it is NOT A TOY, and that use of compressed air should only be used by those wearing appropriate ear and eye protection.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a nut shell, is there a difference in IMAX glasses than 'normal' 3D DLP glasses? I guess what I'm asking is: are IMAX glasses more expensive that they have to be reused and not recycled/thrown out.

(Side note: I've never been to an IMAX [Frown] )

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 11:41 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Thus far my cinema has IMAX 3d passive linear polarized glasses, and REAL D's XL units for the DLP3d.

My comments about the glasses themselves:

In short, IMAX glasses cost $25 USD to replace. 3 sizes fit NO ONE, uncomfortable and heavy (for the blue large size) Plus you need to keep track of them and clean them and dry them for the next show (can you tell we dislike IMAX 3d movies). They do not bend at the arms and must be placed in racks. Also, the sensorbands for anti theft magnetic bands tend to pop out after repeated cleaning

REEL D passive 3d glasses are pretty sweet. The black 1 size fits everyone even while wearing reading glasses, hinges at the arms, and are prepackaged (kinda leaves a carbon footprint of waste) but we have specific bins for them to recycle which we ship back. We don’t have to count them every show nor do we have to clean them. Thus from a theater standpoint, you don’t waste "person"power on the glasses.

I’ve been looking into Xpand and other makes, it seems they are kinda taking the wrong turn in IMO, active glasses seem much more costly.

I think I read that a downside of REEL D is that you have to sign a contract for their 3d and have to use their reel d system only in your DLP rooms. someone can confirm this for me.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason why "normal" disposable cardboard Polaroid 3D glasses would not work for Imax? Are the plastic glasses better in some way?

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 11:33 AM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With IMAX, you must use their glasses, and the digital 3-D glasses are different from the MPX 3-D glasses ??? and guess what, they cost more !

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use one of those backpack blowers and mounted it on the wall. Than rigged the switch to only operate the low setting. I've also found that flipping one of the dish racks upside down and putting the glasses rack on top helps keep the water from blowing back onto the glasses.

Patrick. The XR glasses are actually cheaper now that they found a different manufacturer. Also they just came out with a cheaper design called the DX. Give Chris Appleton a call for prices

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Watkinson
sensorbands for anti theft
Wow, you're not messing around with those are ya. Are they embedded in the glasses themselves, or a small tag hanging off the arm?

Are patrons instructed to give back the glasses after the show or else they get the beep of death from a security system?

I'm still in awe on the fact you have to reuse those. I'm going to do a little research on the ins and outs of IMAX 3D.

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons

Wow, you're not messing around with those are ya. Are they embedded in the glasses themselves, or a small tag hanging off the arm?

Are patrons instructed to give back the glasses after the show or else they get the beep of death from a security system?

I'm still in awe on the fact you have to reuse those. I'm going to do a little research on the ins and outs of IMAX 3D.

Ha well they had that in mind when they installed everything 3 years ago. Most of the stuff was previously enjoyed. The sensormatic unit didn’t even work.

There is only one. None by the emergency exits. Yes the patrons are instructed with our oldschool outdated Famous players laser preshow that staff will be present at end of the show to collect glasses

For our 80’s grandpa looking Glasses, they have sensor bands in the top center of the plastic frame of the glasses with a section bored out for the band and they are covered with a piece of plastic to make it flush with the surface, but have a tendency to pop off, and some become un-magnetized and also, if you take the glasses and pass it high enough over the sensormatic, it doesn’t go off, haha.

Its hard to find info on the Imax stuff. Doesn’t seem to matter as Imax is doing the whole digital thing along with the other giants in film

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-16-2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of what the contract says, will "normal" disposable cardboard Polaroid 3D glasses work with the 15/70 Imax 3D system? If so, do the proper Imax glasses have any optical or other advantages?

(I suppose that this would be easy enough to test, for the cost of a ticket, but I've not tried this yet.)

Does the Imax DLP system use linear or circular polarization?

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, whenever we go to the local 15/70 IMAX to see something in 3D, being the geeks we are, we bring our own linear polarized aviator style glasses, and they work great. So technically any linear polarizing glasses would work with that system, but the cardboard glasses' lenses are a bit smallish to take in the entire screen.

Haven't seen IMAX DLP yet.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all linears are the same...you have vertical/horizontal as well as 45/45...it all depends on the system used.

Steve

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most every linear system in this country is 45/45. We took a chance and it happens to work.

In fact, I've not seen a supplier of glasses that offers 0/90 polarization unless it's a special order.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised to hear that a suitable dryer wasn't installed for the IMAX glasses. Most of the purpose built IMAX theaters had a washing system with a dryer.

Either way, the suggested device that was installed in many theaters was a Paxton Air Knife. A large, loud, centrifugal blower and the air knife device are used to eliminate all the water from the glasses to avoid spotting.

Linky

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hillary Charles
Most every linear system in this country is 45/45. We took a chance and it happens to work.

In fact, I've not seen a supplier of glasses that offers 0/90 polarization unless it's a special order.

We have 0/90 Polarization

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: