Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Kettle Corn. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kettle Corn.
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2009 06:16 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if it would be possible to make kettle corn with a theater popcorn machine. (IE: Pop-O-Gold Floor Model Popcorn Machine )

If it's possible, If anyone has a recipe that i could try, thx.

Rene

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-06-2009 06:55 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gold Medal sells kettle korn mix. You can google them up & see if it'll work for you.

Offhand, I wonder if the temperatures of standard popcorn machines might be too high for the sugar they pop kettle corn with. At the sports stadiums I see the stuff being made at, they use big gas-fired copper pots that they can stir like crazy.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-06-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is kettle corn? A customer asked Jen the other day if her theater served kettle corn. Being as how the popcorn there is popped in a kettle, she said yes. The customer got angry proclaiming that "This isn't kettle corn", had a coronary and died. Or something like that.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-06-2009 07:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can use a regular popper to make kettle corn, but it needs to be a separate popper due to the temperature differences.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the difference in temps ?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-06-2009 10:42 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said... it's lower. You'd have to call someone who makes the stuff if you're looking for numbers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What is kettle corn?
I guess it's just popcorn with alot of sugary caramel flavoring. It's huge at county fairs, I know that...we were at 4 fairs this year and every one of them had a booth selling gobs of the stuff.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 12:09 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kettle corn... go to youtube, you can see all kinds of videos of people explaining it and making it. Some videos have people making it at home on their stove, and you can also see videos of people making it in quantity in at the fair.

We tossed around the idea of making it at one cinema I work at. The issue was that we only have one popcorn machine....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2009 02:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can call it between regular popcorn and caramel corn.

Joe, have Jen make you some popcorn balls - basically the same as kettle corn, just more stickier..

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-07-2009 03:14 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to use Pappy's Kettle Korn (it might be a Gold Medal product) mix to make our own kettle corn. We used the regular popper and didn't have to change any temperature settings. As a smallish location we would just pop a few batches every few days and seal them in bags they provided.

It was a nice thing to try out, but the labor involved and the actual sales were not nearly enough to justify keeping it as a regular product. On average we sold less than 20 bags a week.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2009 06:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think part of the Kettle corn mystique is the preparation. It is supposed to be done in a wok like bowl (kettle) and stirred, by hand, in a whipping like motion. How the kettle is kept/prepared adds to its flavor. In a fair like situation, this set up is FAR more easy than in a theatre where show turns are tight and the show is the movie, not the food prep.

There are microwave Kettle Corns for those that want to try something similar. It does not taste exactly right (how could it) but you will get the idea. Monte is pretty close in his taste comparison...it like a cross between caramel corn and regular popcorn but there is a texture difference in the real stuff.

It doesn't surprise me that there would be a kettle corn mix or something to give a similar flavor.

Steve

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-07-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried it a few years back....it was a disaster -- totally messed up our popper. Of course we weren't doing it right, too hot I guess, but the experience and the labor then cleaning the blackened kettle was enough to swear us off it forever. As Justin said, the demand was so small that we could have just as well used the microwave to pop a few bags of the microwavable kettle corn in the back when someone actually asked for it. One of the kids -- the one I assigned to clean the burnt kettle -- commented, "Next time one of those aholes asks for kettle corn, hand them a salt shaker with sugar in it & tell them to make their own." He was not a happy pup.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theatres have this Concession Item as part of their snak bar sales..

It's all prepackaged, has a rack for display and very eye catching...

(saves on having to make the stuff..)

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Kettle Corn but lately I've had a craving for Cracker Jack... It's somewhat hard to find too.

Mark

Robert Madara
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Robert Madara   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Madara   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We make it in a separate 14 oz. popper. We just add sugar & reduce the heat. We also use a Gold Medal product called Compound "S". It keeps the kettle clean! We bag it up in the Pappy's bags, & sell it for 2.99. ..It's a great "grab & Go" item in our Moon Car-feteria -(not Barf-feteria, Tim, LOL.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: