Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bats ... why did it have to be bats?

Author Topic: Bats ... why did it have to be bats?
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
"Four of the 10 Carmike theaters at Marketplace have been shut down until at least Monday due to bat sightings in those theaters. A certified inspector is set to evaluate the entire theater complex by Monday, according to a cinema notice."

NEWS ARTICLE HERE

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 11:48 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 60s I worked as projectionist at an all day house in Sacramento and went home at the end of each shift smelling like bat guano as the attic was infested with bats.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bats creep me out, but I guess a single bat can eat as much as its own weight in insects in a single day, so they help control the insects. Hard to imagine the numbers of bugs we'd have without bats eating so many of them.

But they still creep me out. One got into our theatre when we were having some work done by a contractor; he had the upstairs windows (which have no screens) open and a bat flew in. Fortunately, he was able to get the bat out; I don't know how he did it.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "Robert E. Allen"
went home at the end of each shift smelling like bat guano
I bet it was all you could do to keep from going batshit crazy.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2009 12:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Lasher

I bet it was all you could do to keep from going batshit crazy.

Well it didn't please my girlfriend. I finally decided to wear coveralls in the booth and changed as soon as I got home.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-22-2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bats are cool. We have dozens and dozens of them living somewhere here in one of the condo complexes at Mountain's Edge (about as far southwest as one can get and still be in the Las Vegas valley). At dusk they come out for their evening meals. Really something to watch during my evening walks, the little fighter pilots using their ultrasonics to go after their in-flight dinners.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-22-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these just a leftover from last summer's screenings of THE DARK KNIGHT? Will fear of bats close the all the remaining ozoners in the US? Holy guano!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-22-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a theatre in Caldwell TX -- The Mattsonian. The employees called it the Ratsonian because in the basement and in the walkway to the booth, there were rat carcuses and skeletons all over the place. If you didn't step gingerly, you could feel and hear them crunch and crackle underfoot. The smell wasn't exactly Chanel No 9.

Bats are just rats with wings.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's what i get for being so subtle with my puns

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 02:10 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
Back in the 60s I worked as projectionist at an all day house in Sacramento and went home at the end of each shift smelling like bat guano as the attic was infested with bats.
Bat droppings are pretty bad for your health too, once they dry up and flake off and you breathe it all in.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Bat droppings are pretty bad for your health too, once they dry up and flake off and you breathe it all in.
Fortunately I was a "relief man" and the job lasted for only a couple of weeks. How are things in beautiful Iowa. In '06 I was managing the Sunset in Sumner. Sure do miss the place.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 07:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Bats are just rats with wings.
No, no, no ... pigeons are rats with wings. Bats are cool.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2009 10:12 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have bats at our drive-in. We have about 5 or 6 of them that come out every night right as it's getting dark. They are pretty cool to watch.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Jorgenson
No, no, no ... pigeons are rats with wings. Bats are cool.
Maybe, Jeremy, but have you ever seen a live bat's head close up, I mean right up at it? They are scary muthas -- they look like they would eat your face off if they only had half a chance.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-26-2009 07:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
They are scary muthas -- they look like they would eat your face off if they only had half a chance.

What...this little fella?

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: