Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie presentation is awful in and around Denver, CO (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Movie presentation is awful in and around Denver, CO
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably not news to anyone who has been in the industry for a while, but I just can't get over how mistakes continue to be made and continue to be tolerated by the companies that run these theaters. It's like they don't care about presentation at all.

I received the following information from one of my sources about the first day for Harry Potter showings:
quote:
The Regal Entertainment Group Denver West theater threw their print of Harry Potter upon their initial quality check screening and green scratched the hell out of the print. This is the same theatre that gave out tons refunds from the Transformers midnight interlock disaster!!! Their first show was bad! Apparently the guy who does trailer work wasn't working that day, so they ran their entire first day without trailers and a scratched print! AMC had scratches on their print as well. Then the Kerasotes Olde Town had a splice that apparently "came apart" and it took them a while to get the show back up. What the hell is going on around town?
And then this from a friend:
quote:
I was talked into going to the Regal Entertainment Group Continental big house on Saturday and got to see the massacre of one of Denver's destination auditoriums. WTF? How in any way is stadium seating better in this room? We sat in the front section which resembles the old style seating and that wasn't too bad other than no contrast on the screen. They started the show with 5 seconds of leader count down, sound popping through the speakers and a green band trailer scratched to hell and HUGE focus problems! It was a sold out show... They were raking in the cash but still couldn't pay a guy to do the job right? Idiots!
This combined with reports of Harry Potter prints being scratched left and right by a new theater (and one of their replacements built up backwards and shown to customers that way), scratches on prints less than a week old at other theaters around town as well as tons of other incidents, people are obviously receiving poor training everywhere. Mistakes will happen, yes. But in such a constant manner?

A lot of theaters require management to run the booth and while certain individuals may make great floor managers, that does not qualify them to be running the projection equipment in any way. That's like assuming just because a person wears a hard hat that he is qualified to operate a crane at a construction site. Granted, there are exceptions. But the companies themselves like Regal and Kerasotes (and likely AMC as well) sure seem not care about putting on a good presentation for their customers from what I am seeing and hearing about. Has any effort been made to improve the flaws? Not that I've seen. At least not in the Denver area. If you live here, you have maybe 3 theater options to see a quality presentation, otherwise just wait for the DVD.

I challenge Regal, Kerasotes and AMC (and Cinemark as well, but nobody I know ever goes there) to improve their presentations. If they can do that, I will make sure it is known by all how good they can really be. The potential is there, you just need the effort and qualified employees with proper training. Once you get a good employee, pay them to stay.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-23-2009 05:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I count myself lucky that both Regal and Cinemark generally (and consistently) do a good job here. I'm talking presentation basics: Show starts in frame, no "oops, countdown leader", image is bright & focused, masking & lenses correct, scratch-free prints with very minimal dirt. They meet those basic presentation standards most of the time. Why can they do it here but not in other markets? As usual it probably comes down to district & local management. Someone has to care.

Somebody at Regal is paying attention to this board because the local Regal 15 staff seems to know I post here about their theater. A while back I posted something about the sound on one of their Flashback movies starting in stereo but switching to mono (Lost Boys), and the next time I was there for a Flashback show (Jaws), a Regal employee approached me out of the clear blue and said she was sorry I didn't think Lost Boys was up to par, that they had screened it in advance and decided to play it in mono because they thought it was overall better sound quality. She also spoke to the audience before the show, pointed out that the Jaws print had good color and digital sound (unlike some of the other Flashback prints they've gotten). So anyway, here in Eugene at least, someone is paying attention.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-23-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problems are unusual at the Regals in this area too. It must be the thin high altitude air in Denver.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2009 06:38 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Harkins location one of the 3 better places to see a movie in the Denver MSA? Or is this one an unknown?
I have a friend who frequents the Harkins and the Century in Aurora, but is not "presentation savvy".

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-23-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know now who's gonna be on the priority list for full digital conversions...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-23-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not frequent movie theatres anymore like I used to but when I do, I am very fortunate to have excellent theatres here in Honolulu I can count on for flawless presentation by both Reading International's Consolidated Theatres and Regal. I was once told by someone that Reading International will run Consolidated Theatres down the toilet when they take over the company from Pacific Theatres but I am very happy to say that has not happened. In fact Reading has done wonders for the company by continuing to operate the theatres in the same manner Pacific did. On top of that, Reading has installed Dolby Digital 3-D in three of their houses and plan to add more in the not too distant future. The local Regal houses are also outstanding and do a fantastic job with their film and digital presentations in both IMAX and Real D.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-23-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that I've noticed an increase in scratched/damaged used prints since we started receiving our Deluxe prints from the Denver depot. I can only assume they must be coming from local theatres there. Sad. The worst part is, usually prints are on tight circuits and we don't get them till Friday, leaving no time for a test screening or a replacement to be shipped.

Joe - is there any one company that stands out as being generally better than the rest? Or do they all uniformly suck?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-23-2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I challenge Regal, Kerasotes and AMC (and Cinemark as well, but nobody I know ever goes there) to improve their presentations.
I can confirm, at least as of a couple of years ago, that the Cinemarks in Fort Collins and Greeley are absolute disasters, particularly when it comes to sound, presentation-wise.

The best thing about the Denver market movie-wise is that's it's halfway between Wichita and Salt Lake.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that before Regal consolidated nearly every chain in the country, just about every building would have at least 2 or 3 full time employees whose job was exclusively to run the projection booth. They were the ones building and tearing down prints, preforming maintenance, and doing trailer work. Once everybody everywhere came under the Regal banner however, that all changed. Regal does not have the term "Projectionist" anywhere in their corporate lingo. They have "Managers" who have a variety of different job functions, one of which includes "Booth operation". When this happened, many very skilled projectionists were essentially forced out because they didn't have the skills or the desire to preform management functions outside of the booth.

In their place Regal trains all newly hired or promoted management in the bare necessities on how to operate the projection booth, which includes threading, and splicing. I've seen buildings with scratched prints, where the person running the projection booth isn't even able to recognize the fact that the print is scratched. Regal does have a program designed to train projectionists on how to preform just about every essential projection task including threading, build ups, bulb changes, and belt changes, but from my experience working there, and still from what I hear from people working there today, the program is poorly implemented and not really enforced all that well.

The reason you will see all these scratched prints, and sound problems at Regal, AMC, Carmike, etc. is that for the most part the people operating the booths at these places are ignorant of them, and even if they are aware of them, all three companies pay so poorly that they cannot get skilled people to work there, and those that are skilled and dedicated don't stick around for long. Here in Connecticut for example, when I last worked for Regal, the average hourly wage for management was somewhere around 9.50 an hour, circus peanuts really, and certainly not enough money for anyone to seriously live on, so that's why you end up with booth monkeys operating projection, because only a college kid looking for spending cash could afford to work at these places.

Another problem is that all the companies depend on their Technical crew to take care of routine maintenance, and major repairs. Unfortunately the technicians are almost always overworked, and spread far too thin, as one technician could have anywhere from 20-40 theaters they are responsible for, so in most cases, unless you are off screen, most problems just end up lingering. Rollers don't get changed until the plastic literally erodes, speakers remain damaged until the movie can no longer be heard properly, and broken equipment remains that way until someone finally gives up and tries to figure out how to repair it themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of good, hard working, skilled projectionists out there working for Regal, and the rest, but for the most part, those days are long gone.

The ultimate goal of Regal, AMC, Carmike, etc., within the next 2 years, is to completely eliminate anyone from even having to be in the projection booth at all. All digital locations are only a few years off, and once that happens, a lot of us will be changing careers.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are prints of JAWS out there with digital sound?!?!?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-24-2009 01:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Is the Harkins location one of the 3 better places to see a movie in the Denver MSA?
I've only been there once and I seem to recall them having issues. However that was so long ago that I can't hold it against them now. So it is "unknown" for now.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Joe - is there any one company that stands out as being generally better than the rest?
That's really hard to say. I generally like Regal better than Kerasotes on average as far as presentation (with the exception of the Kerasotes Bowles Crossing 12 which far exceeds any local Regal), although the actual physical Kerasotes buildings/auditoriums blow away those that Regal owns/builds. They are close to a tie, I think. I don't know much about Cinemark, but a projectionist that is currently bothering Regal was trained at the Cinemark Bel Mar and all he does is scratch prints and cause havoc. AMC is good... if you go to their all-digital complex. Otherwise they are simply mediocre.

That's mainly all we have here. Harkins only has one theater. Landmark is dogshit on a stick, but I'd never watch the types of movies that they show. But the prints we sometimes get from them aren't very pretty. Regency has one theater in the Denver area (mine) that is about as good as that location can get, considering when it was built (it is a 70's mall theater). Nobody in town has cleaner prints than we do and that is a guarantee unless we get a used one that is crazy-dirty like we did once from Kerasotes (I rejected it). There are a couple of dinner theaters that I don't really know too much about as well.

quote: Michael McGovern
Here in Connecticut for example, when I last worked for Regal, the average hourly wage for management was somewhere around 9.50 an hour, circus peanuts really
That's what it seems to be around here as well, though 9.50 is the high end. We pay more than any Regal (even for floorstaff), and our ticket prices are a bit lower as well.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-24-2009 02:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and our ticket prices are a bit lower as well.

I.E., your company has some great marketing/community skills that can bring the masses in to where the increase of wages isn't a large factor in the operation's budget.

Sounds like your company should be an icon for the whole community to appreciate and to take example from...

-monte

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2009 05:25 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
that they had screened it in advance and decided to play it in mono because they thought it was overall better sound quality
That should be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life, but I've probably heard even stupider.

Film is bad because it gets scratched- that's why digital is better [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-24-2009 06:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possible cause for the Regal sound issue mentioned above:

Lost Boys should be Dolby A (there might also be mono prints). I can imagine that someone might have tried to play it in Dolby SR, (correctly) determined that it sounded bad, and then switched to mono and (correctly) determined that it sounded better. Obviously, the operator should have known that a film of that vintage would not be SR, but at least he listened to the sound and tried to make things better.

I have occasionally attended these sorts of repertory screenings at multiplexes, and it seems to be quite common to play mono or Dolby A prints in the wrong sound format, at least until I complain.

Joe--do you not have any good independent houses near you? In my market, I can tell you that there are a few very good people in the exhibition business, but that few (still) work for the major chains.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-24-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very sad and has been very self destructive for the commercial movie theater business to eliminate full time projectionist positions. Overall the commercial movie theater business just doesn't seem to care very much about presentation quality even though it is central to the product they are selling. I think the corporate dudes calling the shots have the belief the only thing that matters is the concessions sales in the lobby.

We've been lucky here with our Carmike location only because the manager knows how to work on a lot of mechanical things and isn't afraid or resistant to learning new things. He's worked in radio broadcasting and is pretty good with electronics work. Those talents have also come in handy overcoming some of the kinks in getting the digital systems running properly. Someone at the theater has to be observant enough to notice problems and then be insistent enough to get them fixed, whether a tech comes there to get it done or if the manager has to fix it himself. The sad thing is more theaters than not just live with a certain technical issue and accept that as the new "normal."

I've only been there once and I seem to recall them having issues. However that was so long ago that I can't hold it against them now. So it is "unknown" for now.
You haven't been back to that particular "Cine Capris" since watching the beginning of The Wicker Man?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: