Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Question for anyone who uses RTS (Ready Theatre Systems) software

Author Topic: Question for anyone who uses RTS (Ready Theatre Systems) software
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-20-2009 05:09 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my cinema we are using Venue. I've been working with it for over 10 years and I know it inside and out. I've only had RTS at my drive-in for about 2 years and I don't use it enough to know the program that well.

The problem I'm having is lots of cash shortages on my RTS concession stations. Almost every night we're having shortages of up to $10-$15. The shortages are almost never even dollar amounts and almost always equal the total of one or two concession items. I haven't completely discounted theft, however, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with a problem with RTS or an issue with people understanding how to use RTS.

The reason I say this is because I use the same staff for the cinema and the drive-in. I do not have any regular cash shortages at the cinema. Plus, the drive-in staff is never the same from night to night. Most employees only work out there once a week and it's usually a different manager every night. But we are having problems virtually every night. Furthermore the problems are happening on night when we only have 25 cars, nights when we have 150 cars, and everything in between.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else using RTS has similar problems with cash shortages which they traced to some sort of RTS programming/setup error or a common cashier mistake.

I kind of think the issue may be related to the Void One or Void Last function on the order entry screen, but I just don't know. I have change the register layout so there is no action associated with touching the order receipt section - by default it is set to "Void Last".

Any thoughts would be helpful. I have contacted RTS with a number of questions, but I'm also looking for feedback from people who are actually using RTS in the real world.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 05:47 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Offhand, Justin, I'd look for problems in your local programming. Of all the issues I've had over the years, transaction accuracy has never been among them.

Some things we've done, at least temporarily, to curb a few issues:

1. Turn off the cashiers' ability to open the drawer on a "no-sale" basis.

2. Restrict voids to supervisory personnel only.

At least for awhile... that might help locate where the problems are coming from.

Also... Employee discounts and tax tables could warrant a look, if you're using them.

If you're using modifiers or groups on your concession screen, there might be an item or two slipping past your cashiers' immediate attention... especially with group layouts, where individual items can be incorporated into a total item sale without being shown on the screen.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checking your tax tables was also going to be my advice. I would also state that I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with their phone support not sure if you went that route yet or not. Good luck and hope you get everything sorted out.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to tech support today and they downloaded the files from my server.

Just to give an example of the problem, last night I had a terminal where the deposit was $86.00 and RTS said it was $7.50 short. When I looked at the sales log for the terminal, the transactions added up to $86.00 - at least when I exported and looked at them in a text file. On the sales log screen, I noticed a transaction that said $5.00, but it was actually $3.50; there as another transaction that said $20.00, but it was actually $7.75.

For the time being I've removed the quick tender keys from the stations to see what happens - I hate employees relying on the computer to calculate change in the first place.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-22-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I hate employees relying on the computer to calculate change in the first place.

I'm with you there, Justin. Part of our training includes teaching the cashiers how to count change; first to themselves, then back to the customer. I've never liked being given a handful of change; accuracy being one of the main reasons.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-22-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out that at least part of the problem had to do with the way I had an employee priced item set up in the system.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-25-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1768 days since the last post.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-25-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the RTS System has a way to view transaction detail while the day is in progress. It would be nice to be able to monitor sales of certain items - such as hot dogs and soft pretzels - in real time for tracking/projection purposes. But I have also had occasions where I needed to go back and look at transactions to verify something was entered correctly.

Most of the reports will just be empty when you try to view the current day before closing out the business day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: