Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Audience Appropriate" green-band trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Audience Appropriate" green-band trailers
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got an email from NATO saying that it's now possible for trailers to be "suitable for Appropriate Audiences" as opposed to "all audiences." Meaning a PG-13 trailer might be targeted at a PG-13 movie but you shouldn't play that particular trailer with a PG movie. Etc. Anyone else heard about this and what do you think about it? I think it's shaping up to be a gigantic pain, i.e. we won't be able to get "all audience" trailers when they are needed.

Here's part of the MPAA bulletin on this subject:

“Appropriate Audience Advertising provides the distributor of the motion picture greater flexibility to promote a motion picture in a manner that reflects its content and reaches its intended audience without exposing a significant number of young children to the advertising. Advertising that is deemed by the Advertising Administration to the suitable only for appropriate audiences contains some material that is not appropriate for all viewers, but is acceptable for the age-appropriate audiences that will be viewing it. Such advertising shall not include excessive or graphic images of violence or sex, excessive profanity, or drug usage. While some stronger content may be permitted in Appropriate Audience Advertising, not all scenes from a PG-13, R, NC-17 or not yet rated motion picture may be approved for inclusion in such advertising.

Advertisements that fall into this category include certain trailers, some internet advertising, and some television and radio advertising and print promotional materials. The Advertising Administration will provide specific time, medium and venue restrictions for the placement of Appropriate Audience Advertising. Such Appropriate Audience Advertising may not be directed to audiences that contain a significant proportion of younger children.”

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt that a lot of 'green band' trailers for R and even some PG-13 movies weren't appropriate for G and PG movies anyway, despite supposedly being suitable for all audiences.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 05:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And individual cinemas are supposed to make that call?

Here it's illegal to screen a trailer rated higher than the feature screening. We've never had trailers 'approved for all audiences'.

There was a big hullabaloo here many years ago (before the current rules applied) whereby a Greater Union cinema in the city was taken to task in the Sydney Morning Herald's letters to the editor for playing the trailer for 'GHOST' at a screening of 'Beauty And The Beast'. The parent objected (and rightly so) to a shot in the trailer where you see Patrick Swayzee with blood on him from where he's been killed. Not what you want little Tommy and Bessie to see when they've been promised a fairy tale.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember one house here screening Emanuelle trailers on PG stuff.

I guess that is why this rule was introduced.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 07:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G or PG films with G or PG trailers, 13 and R films with 13 or R trailers is Cinemark's guideline. Even though I have no problem with Harry Potter on an R film.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
Even though I have no problem with Harry Potter on an R film.
Huh? [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our general rules are:

R films: Any trailers can run

PG-13: R-rated trailers can run IF the feature film is geared to an adult audience. (i.e. if the PG-13 feature is an adult-oriented movie, we have no problem running an R trailer with it, but we wouldn't run an R trailer with a PG-13 Potter film).

PG: G, PG or PG-13 trailers only (and PG-13 only if they advertise a teen/kid oriented film)

G: Only PG or G trailers on these movies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-03-2009 01:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If they would make green, yellow and red bands, this wouldn't be a huge pain in the ass...but you just KNOW they will make these green colored just to create problems for everyone in the industry. [Roll Eyes]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 03:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also assemble according to Mike's guideline list above.

Yet, Interesting that this list almost duplicated what we had to do at EDWARDS with our trailer assembles.

Tom Inglis
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 05:55 AM      Profile for Tom Inglis   Email Tom Inglis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK all our trailers are rated by the BBFC, and therefore are subject to strict guidelines. We will NEVER show a trailer with a film that is rated lower than the trailer itself. They are all sent to us with different wraps depending on the rating...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 08:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a NATO meeting where they were talking about this as an alternative or compromise to using a yellow band for what are essentially PG-13 trailers. I still don't understand the reasoning, but the MPAA and some NATO members were dead set against the idea of a yellow band.

To me the idea of a yellow band makes perfect sense because it provides a visual indication of what movies the trailer is appropriate for. And when the bands are left on the trailer, it provides a visual indication for those in the audience who are concerned.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder that MPAA ratings are only suggestions as to the suitability of motion pictures for children. Theatres are under no legal obligation to enforce the ratings, though there may be contractual obligations. So do what you think is best for your theatre.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some states there are laws on the books for letting kids into R rated movies.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which states? I wasn't aware it was law anywhere.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone got a ratings law on the books then the MPAA fell down on the job. The ratings are owned by the MPAA and they fiercely guard their copyright. Here in Alabama many years ago the legislature tried to pass a law requiring ALL videotapes be rated (yes, that would have meant blank ones). The MPAA's lobbyist just went in and said you can't do that, we will sue you. End of that piece of legislation.

Virginia used to have a law, may still, against showing a trailer for a movie a member of the audience may not be allowed to see. Never heard of it being enforced and can't imagine it standing up in court.

This is not to say the MPAA doesn't imply the ratings are law (No One Under 18 Allowed In, etc).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: