Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Fox is making life difficult for non 3D theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Fox is making life difficult for non 3D theatres
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 12:30 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received rated one-sheets for Ice Age 3 last week that say "In Digital 3D" in big letters, but no language along the lines of "select theatres".

-

This really pisses me off when you consider it's probably going to open in 3500+ theatres and only 1500 or so will have 3D.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 12:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens when you call where you get your one-sheets if there is a different version that would include the clause?

For this almost look like a pre-release one-sheet.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 12:45 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I asked my exhibitor relations rep for one without 3D, she said they all have 3D.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 01:52 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't surprise me since this Fox's first digital 3D feature. When they get enough complaints from other theatres who are getting yelled at by their customers for false advertising, they'll design a new one leaving off the 3D.

We had a similar situation with another 3D film (Journey to the Center of the Earth?) and we just covered up the 3D part on the poster. Unfortunately in this case it will look really tacky, but it can be done with black poster board cut and taped over the "In Digital 3D". I would then send a pic to your rep showing just how bad it looks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply don't put up the poster if you don't have 3D. If Fox asks why it isn't up, tell them.

OFF TOPIC: How many Ice Age movies are there? I thought this was the second one.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, this is the third Ice Age movie. The second was subtitled "The Melt Down" and it came out March 31, 2006.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 03:41 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox is one of the big pushers for 3D, since they want the number of 3D theatres up for their Avatar movie by year's end.

But I guess they don't wannit hard enough to pay good VPF to independents.

Oh well. Whatever works for them. Kodak and Fuji must be happy they are so closed-minded.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-23-2009 07:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photoshop a "2" of the right size and place that over the "3" and thus it will acurately state in "2-D"

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2009 10:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why on earth don't you just put in 3-D and get it over with? It WILL pay for itself unless you wait till every other theater in your town has one...

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been pretty obvious that studios are giving preference
to promoting their 3D products in print and TV advertising.

But several weeks ago, I noticed another trend in 3D Marketing.

It's been common practice at the end of a standard 35mm "flat"
trailer advertising a 3D feature to include a phrase worded
something like this: ""3D IN SELECTED THEATERS" "

But have you noticed that phrase has been turned around
at the end of the current "Final Destination" 35mm trailer?

-

I wonder if all future ads for 3D pix will use this syntax?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I either fold-under the 3-D section of onesheets (unless they are in frames) or I use black or white tape to cover the 3-D, depending on which looks better.

If a trailer mentions 3-D I do my best to cut out the offending part. Sometimes this takes some experimenting and granted, it makes the trailer sound/look bad but I don't care. The movie needs to be advertised and I'll be damned if I'm going to put "3-D" on the screen and then not show it that way.

I've concluded that there's no way 3-D would ever pay for itself in a small town single screen. Think about it: How many 3-D movies are there in a year? A dozen? And they are not all going to be huge hits (we already have skipped playing at least half of those films, such as "Fly Me To The Moon"). So you're down to six. If we gross $5,000 for each of those movies, we would pay about $2850 for each in film rental. Leaving $2150, which multiplied by six movies = $12,900. When you deduct all of the normal expenses out of that, and consider that the gross estimate above mentioned is pretty generous, there's no way in the world to make a monthly payment on $40,000 worth of 3-D gear on top of $80,000 worth of digital equipment.

Of course all of this goes out the window if the "VPF" deals ever kick in, but it's looking more and more like the small towns are going to get the giant shaft on that one. And I'm not considering concession profits here either, but that's going to stay the same as it is anyway, 3-D movie or not. There's also the fact that SOME people will not attend 3-D movies. Maybe they're a minority but they do exist.

I can make digital work in our particular business model and we hope to take that step in the next year or two, but no matter how I crunch the numbers, 3-D just doesn't add up. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple answer: you're not wrong.

The "pie" gets split, but it does not get bigger. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2009 03:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
So why on earth don't you just put in 3-D and get it over with? It WILL pay for itself unless you wait till every other theater in your town has one...

Mark

Could you be any more of a shill for the products you sell and install? I think not!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen

Are you going to spot us the $150,000 per location to add a 3D screen. As others have mentioned, until the studios come up with a VPF agreement for independents it's difficult to justify the expense. Unless it creates a real cost savings somewhere, it's just a huge expense. Even calculating the saving on print handling doesn't add up because often the person who is building up/breaking down is doing so within the scope of a regular shift so they aren't getting extra hours.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't cost anywhere near $150,000 anymore. Get a quote done and you will be surprised.

Chase

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: