Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ticket price "toppers" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ticket price "toppers"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get the occasional comment from tourists about how low our ticket prices are compared to "home." But then whenever somebody makes that comment, it seems like there is always somebody else in the same party who will say, "That's nothing....when I was in (fill in big city name) it was (fill in higher price)!"

It happened tonight. A guy said that where he is from, it costs $9 to go to a movie (compared to our $7.25). His friend said, "Well, when I was in Vegas last month it was $12.50 there!"

Is it really $12.50 in Vegas? I have a hard time believing that one.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-24-2009 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick search via Fandango says the usual evening ticket price in Las Vegas, NV area theaters runs $10.25 to $10.50. That doesn't count surcharges for digital 3D, real IMAX or the dreaded fake IMAX.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-25-2009 12:02 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also from Fandango, the AMC-Loews theaters in Manhattan (NY) charge $12 regular adult evening price. An adult ticket on Friday evening May 29th for Up in 3D is $16.

And the AMC-Loews in Long Island NY charges $12.50 regular adult evening price.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like SLC's prices at $8 bucks evenings where around here,we're sitting at $9.50... and they only do a two buck upcharge on 3D..around here $3.50 upcharge.

..course, their gas is cheaper also.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 05:20 AM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get the same comments from out of towners. Local people complain that it is too expensive. One comment I hear is that they paid $0.50 for a double hitter back in the days. I laugh at those. In general, small towns do charge less than the big 30 plexers, but frankly I think it is like comparing oranges and tangerines(not quite apples). We are a small town, and charge $8 for evening.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 05:41 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$15.50 in NZ and counting...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2009 06:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I bet your concession prices are lower too.

Always keep the ticket prices for NY, LA and Vegas on a little card; when a local comes up whining that your prices are too high, just hand them the handy little price card showing what they would have to pay elsewhere, then ask them, "So....do you feel stupid now?" [Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the locals never really complain about our prices, except occasionally teenagers, but you know how they are!

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 10:29 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$16 per adult is pretty standard around Western Australia now...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-30-2009 12:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's only a matter of time before $20 becomes the norm for ticket prices in the biggest city markets like NYC and LA. $20 is a nice, round number. Real easy to build to that from levels like $12, $14, etc.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-30-2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $10 for a matinee at the SoHo Landmark when I was in New York five years ago. $12.50 in Vegas doesn't surprise me.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, yet, the price of a Hollywood-produced DVD continues to hover at the same levels after several years. Why does one form of exhibition have to rise at such a different rate? (...especially when the quality of exhibition hasn't significantly changed from the audience's perspective... or maybe it's even gotten worse. [Confused] )

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
the price of a Hollywood-produced DVD continues to hover at the same levels after several years. Why does one form of exhibition have to rise at such a different rate?
That's because once the theatrical release has raked in dough to pay for the movie's production, the cost of producing DVDs is cheap compared to the cost of operating a huge building and all its related expenses.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-30-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
That's because once the theatrical release has raked in dough to pay for the movie's production, the cost of producing DVDs is cheap compared to the cost of operating a huge building and all its related expenses.
The highest minimum wage in the country is here, in Washington State. After taxes, you're looking at a minimum cost to the employer of around $10/hr for each staff member you've got running around your building. That means for each employee/hour, those first-run houses need to get roughly $20 in the door, in admissions or concessions.

After you add in all the other costs of the location, then the corporate overhead, $10-$15 tickets don't surprise me much.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most expensive ticket in London is $30, tell that to anyone who complains! We charge about $13.50 and we are literally on the edge of Central London. People complain about our prices every now and again but we offer very good value for money, everywhere else locally is either over £10 and/or has smaller screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: