Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Battle For Terra. How did it do for you? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Battle For Terra. How did it do for you?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 01:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our grand opening of our 3D Digital cinema with Battle for Terra and had a whopping 18 people come to the movie all day. 6 of which were Employees and I think at least another six were friends or family of the employees who went to see it. How well did it do for you in your theatres?

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 03:46 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss walked out of it after 10 minutes at ShoWest so we didn't open it. Besides, we don't have 3D so there was no reason to open it.

I haven't had a single person ask me about the movie - either through our web site or in person at the theatre. That alone tells me it's a dud.

I think Terra may turn out to be the first 3D stinker out of what appears to be a trend of making 3D animated movies specifically for 3D - rather than making a good animated movie and making it in 3D. I have a feeling there will be many bodies on the side of the road by the time it's all said and done.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was tracking at a zero awareness this week. That was down from it's high of 1.

I don't know how it got the 1100 runs that it did. A lot of 3D screens held Monsters vs. Aliens, the movie is aweful by all accounts, multiple prints are booked for Wolverine that must play through week 2 when theaters will need multiple prints for Star Trek. This thing could break the record for lowest opening weekend of all time of a wide release (and will probably gross less than a lot of very limited releases).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 09:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this movie will stop the "If it's in 3-D then it will generate scads of money!!!" hysteria that has been gripping the studios.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure Jonas Brothers already did that

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 11:37 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D probably does bring a little extra money in the way of 3D-surcharge and a few more patrons that get the kick of the novelty, until they've watched 187 (perhaps a few less) 3D movies and then it won't interesting any more.

But, once again, that little extra money goes to slightly more expensive 3D production and considerably more expensive 3D exhibition (unless you are already digital). 3D glasses are not free. Extra bright lamps are not free, nor is the electricity they suck. Extra gain screens are not free and they usually require some "frequent" replacement. Nor is free the 3D equipment itself, cleaning, etc.

Do they end up producing more profit than if they were 2D? Well, maybe. Not for this movie, where the cost of exhibition (to empty auditoriums) and of production (almost double rendering farm time) probably won't cover the expense. Or barely. But not enough to produce extra profits, I don't think. 3D equipment also breaks-down or needs updates or replacements.

Do they produce 2, 3, 4 times more profit than 2D films? Yeah, right. You'd be lucky if you gross 30% on a movie that is 3D than the same movie if it opened 2D-only in the same market. 20% more for the surcharge and perhaps 5-10% more extra attendance. If the movie is good or fun or 3D-fun.

What's funny is that I hear (haven't seen it, may not be the case, just a rumor) this movie is almost an exact copy of Cameron's upcoming 3D film Avatar.

Of course Cameron is doing the physics simulation thing instead of traditional CGI animation mixed with life action, so that is known to be awesome and will blow people away, so it won't flop like this other film even if their scripts have strong resemblances. Again, I haven't seen Terra or read the script to compare it with Avatar's, so it may be just not the case, but those are the comments I read somewhere.

EDIT: I just saw the trailer for Terra. Doesn't seem that close to Avatar's script at all, so there.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2009 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...we've already received a request to not only not add another 3D screen but to MOVE the existing 3D equipment to a smaller auditorium so the 3D features don't tie up a large theatre that a conventional movie could be generating money in!

Steve

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$250,000 Friday gross from 1162 theatres. The $215 average has to be a record low for that wide of a release. The thing will be lucky to crack $1 million for the opening weekend.
Friday 5/1/09 Grosses from Box Office Mojo

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 01:49 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't honestly recall seeing a commercial for it at all. If I do now, it may jog my memory, but there's definitely zero awareness in this house, and I'm always on the lookout for 3D.

Someone must have known it's a stinker and decided not to throw good money after bad by advertising it?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is it doesn't seem to be ALL that bad, in the sense it gets a 7.6 in IMDB, a B- in boxofficemojo and 5.6-out-of-10 in rotten tomatoes.

Some people like it as a half-decent animated sci-fi flick. Obviously not your average-joe public 10-yo Disney kid, though.

In comparison, Jonas Bros 3D got a 34% in tomatoes, a "D" in officemojo, and a 1.3/10 in IMDB.

Obviously marketing does count for something.

And good thing they didn't have to strike 1000 35mm prints ...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm, I didn't even know it was out! Not that I'd go see it...

quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe this movie will stop the "If it's in 3-D then it will generate scads of money!!!" hysteria that has been gripping the studios.

Yep! The Jonas Bros did proove that theory.

quote:
Hey...we've already received a request to not only not add another 3D screen but to MOVE the existing 3D equipment to a smaller auditorium so the 3D features don't tie up a large theatre that a conventional movie could be generating money in!

Just about all of our customers have had two 3-D screens from day one and because of the "Dolby Special Sale" we just added Dolby 3-D to two smaller screens for a Dolby customer.

Master image makes 3-D in multiple rooms very easy since the unit can easily wheel between screens and plug into the second and smaller auditoriums machine. There are alot of good 3-D things to be released comming up however so moving single 3-D machines to smaller rooms may also be a big mistake... Our Dolby customer when he had but one machine at each location choose the mid size rooms! You might want to do quick disconnects for everything to keep the flexibility so you can move it back to the big room easily when the crowds line up down the sidewalks. That may happen for "UP" and "Open Season"...

Mark

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The location of 3D is a conundrum. You need the capacity of the big houses for opening weekend but you don't need it after that. If it's not an all digital complex it doesn't matter which 3D system you have, you can't easily move it.

It's not a huge issue if you have largish medium houses then you can either put the 3D in there and still be ok for openings or you can put the 3D in the big ones and open your 2D in medium and usually be ok.

The issue is locations where the big houses are much bigger than the medium. Then you're stuck with week 5 of Monsters vs. Aliens in a 300 seat auditorium when all you need is 100 seats.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I'm consulting on converting a single screen on a 5 screens multiplex to 3D later this year. It will have to be digital, of course.

No matter which system you use, if you want to easily move it between two auditoriums, well, both auditoriums need to be digital, really.

Thankfully there is a "medium sized" screen in there that can act as a large and small house at the same time, so that's where it's going.

Distributors are going to be happy when the theater starts requesting (for non-3D films) both, a 35mm print for the opening weekend and a digital one if the film is big enough for the medium auditorium for a while longer. Then, perhaps, another 35mm print for the smaller houses if they wish to show it a bit longer and enough business is made out of them.

Unless they start offering VPF, that's the way it's gonna go.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-03-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've certainly advised that with just a single screen of 3D to use a mid-sized...however there is this feeling that if I spend all this money....I need the big theatre to get my money back.

In the theatre in question...we are only moving the projector...the theatres are side-by-side...I'm just going to extend the cables (coax, audio (AES3) and Ethernet). It will make moving it back a snap. The fact that the new breaker panel that was installed for the digital system is also located between the two screens will make it a snap. I fully expect the projector to move back some day (or a new equivalent projector to move in some day).

Steve

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds good. I thought about something similar, but in this theater, the situation is good the way it is.

The main screen is overly large (600 seats, two floors-balcony type, wide auditorium) and is separated from the other 4, which are then next to each other with the booth being one continous long room for them.

The second screen is a nice medium sized 300 seats with a 11m (35') screen and is "narrow", so it's better for the polarized 3D with a "smaller" projector. The next one is around 230 seats and the others around 160 seats.

One day all screens will be digital, but until distributors start passing their savings to the theater, it will remain mostly 35mm only, with the single digital screen being there to cash in into the early 3D with higher ticket prices and to show films from whichever distributor is willing to pay VPF only.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: