Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » RTS computer CMOS error

Author Topic: RTS computer CMOS error
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a "CMOS checksum error" on our touch-screen computer in the concession stand. I assume this is likely to be a system board battery, but ... where is the battery in this thing? I'm not sure of the model number of the machine but it says "Partner" on top of the screen.

I'm going to call the help line tomorrow but would like to get a head start on this if possible. I hate calling RTS's help line -- they are cranky, talk too fast, and always assume everyone knows as much as they do about everything.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 01:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checksum error would be that something in the startup or operation isn't matching up with the required sequence procedures.

It's like taking two rows of numbers, maybe 10 characters in length. Both rows of characters must match for the operation to perform correctly. The checksum procedure scans both rows for this match. If there is anything that is different in one row compared to the other row then you have a checksum error.

The monitor wouldn't be the issue. It's just an I/O device. I'd point it to the server. Change out your CMOS battery on the POS server and see what happens.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a standalone computer, not a terminal. It's networked to the office machine, but that machine is working fine.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try to see if you can find any useful information on your particular model here:

http://www.partnertechcorp.com/web/

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 09:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if the software OS that runs the system have gone corrupted then and needs reinstalling...

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 06:20 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Software is unaffected by the CMOS except where it requires custom parameters for a non-plug-n-play OS and if the CMOS battery fails you will get a checksum error and the system won't work correctly as a result because the settings were forgotten.

The battery is on the motherboard which will likely be in the base or the back behind the screen.
Not fun to try and get to on these compact little terminals but certainly doable.

You'll likely need a nickel sized 3V battery.

Yank it apart and you'll see.

G'luck.

--dom

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: