Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Software for ticketing

Author Topic: Software for ticketing
Catalin Braescu
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 06:12 PM      Profile for Catalin Braescu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Braescu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am involved in launching a small cinema theater in Egypt. It will start with one auditorium but it's very possible to soon have more than one auditorium and more than one location.

We would like to issue tickets with bar codes that will be afterward be read by bar code readers attached to turnstiles (for access control).

Now, before burying ourselves in unknown, what kind of software is used at your theater for ticketing (and access control, if any)?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Catalin

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 07:03 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We simply have an usher ripping tickets and directing/watching people.

I know most ticketing systems can print the ticket serial number on the ticket as a barcode.

We use Vista Entertainment Solutions and they have software that can run on a handheld PDA that can scan the bar code and verify entry/exit of specific tickets (we use it to verify print at home tickets). Since Vista operates globally and has a verification component to their software they might be a start for investigating how to do it the way you want to.

Catalin Braescu
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 06:31 PM      Profile for Catalin Braescu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Braescu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, thanks for pointing out this Vista. Any idea what's their price range?

Best regards from Alexandria,

catalin

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pricing depends on how many modules you use (and how many screens) - in the US they tend to be on the moderate to high side of pricing, but they have a full suite of optional modules.

Support is reasonable, in my opinion.

Sorry I can't tell you exact pricing, but I don't know what their overseas pricing structure is and I'm not one of their salespeople so I won't publish the pricing I know about.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Spain, a handful of companies make ticketing software. The thing is that over here, they are required to meet goverment-standarized requirement and collect attendance data daily to report to the goverment, who then makes the data available to the interested parties first and then to everyone. That way they know how much Tax to charge, how much subvention money goes to the film industry, and distributors know how much their cut share is of the profits.

You are not allowed to use ticketing software in theaters that are not certified to the standard and meet the installation conditions (i.e. hooked to an internet access point to download the data nightly, etc).

Probably not of much use to you. Just saying in case there is a requirement like that in your country.

You usually require a PC small computer (say $500), a printer (usually a thermal or ticket type, say $500 and up too), and then the software (say between $1000-$3000 per machine). You usually also want some sort of software and/or hardware maintenance plan (say $30/month per machine). And an internet line (say $30/month). And a report printer to print-out data ($50). Then you have to add paper/inks, etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: