Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Auditorium calculator?

Author Topic: Auditorium calculator?
Catalin Braescu
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Catalin Braescu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Braescu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the planning stage of launching a cinema heater with several auditoriums, in a building which was not designed for cinema (but we can pretty much do whatever we want inside).

Now, our target is a no-frills, el cheapo digital theater. We need auditoriums (I guess that's the right term in English) to accommodate 50 / 75 / 100 / 150 seats.

Now, how do I calculate that? I mean, is there a software that can help me calculate? Or some technical documentation? There must be a distance between the screen and the first row of seats - how big that should be? I guess it's related to the width of the screen itself. Let's assume 2 meters (6.6 feet) from the last seat row and the projector. How much width should the screen have? And how much width should the seat rows have, too?

As you can easily understand, I'm wet behind my ears. And I have nobody to ask locally (I'm in Egypt, not a local, and competitors obviously won't help).

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2009 02:27 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guidlines in Dolby Technical Reference for Cinemas is take the centre position of 2/3 from the screen to the back of the theater and open a 45 degree viewing angle to see the optimum image you can put in that theater. From there on is up to your restrains in the building of how big the screen can be but don't go bigger.
My 2 Cents
Demetris

Catalin Braescu
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Catalin Braescu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Braescu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I don't understand how to take a 45 degrees angle from the 2/3 center of the screen :-( Can you please rephrase it?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2009 07:15 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would very strongly recommend that you engage a suitably qualified expert to work with you and your architect on the design of your theatre.

There must be cinema installation companies in Egypt with suitable expertise.

Theatre design is complex and is not something that should be attempted without expert advice and assistance.

I would also personally disgree with trying to do something cheaply and on a "no-frills" basis. It never works and you will end up with problems that will greatly outweigh the savings you think you will make.

This is very sensible advice and I hope it helps.

Good luck with your project.

Catalin Braescu
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Catalin Braescu   Author's Homepage   Email Catalin Braescu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All such expertise is in-house, there is no third-party company installing theaters. I wish it was different.

At 2 dollars per ticket and 75 seats I am not sure what else than no frills is possible (same for a 300 seats auditorium). There is also no bank credit available (or supplier financing).

These are the reasons why in a 80-million people country there are less than 600 cinema theaters.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2009 04:51 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Catalin I send you a pm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: