Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Renting Old Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Renting Old Prints
John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2009 11:35 AM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see the theatre I work for start showing midnight movies. How much do they cost to rent? How would I find out what is available? Any advice would be awesome.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what kind of movies you're talking about. Classics usually run a (pretty high) flat rate, where current product will be a percentage just like anything else. Your film booker can advise you.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 01:17 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be as cheap as $150. and can go to several hundred. Many are flat rate though. Plus shipping of course.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2009 11:03 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your set-up? You're going to limit your titles if you're running platter as studio prints are R2R only. Larger titles have platter prints available.

If you are running R2R you can book the films directly from repertory depending on the studio. What films were you looking to book?

Standard rate is $250 vs. 35%. Hardly expensive.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-14-2009 05:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Theakston

Standard rate is $250 vs. 35%. Hardly expensive.

Unless you're the only one who wants to see it.

That platter rule is so dumb I don't know where to start. [thumbsdown]

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 09:59 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That platter rule is so dumb I don't know where to start. [thumbsdown]
At the risk of being labeled a "platter-hater" I don't, for a number of obvious reasons, the most important being the R2R stipulation guaranteeing an operator is at the helm at all times.

And from an exhibitor's perspective, it doesn't make sense to platter a print you're only going to run once, anyway.

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2009 04:10 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although the platter rule is very unfortunate as it limits the number of houses able to show classics, I don't blame them. First of all, most platter operators just chop a frame or two off the heads and tails of each reel when breaking down as opposed to taking the extra 3 seconds to peel it off, as I do. You send a print to a dozen platter houses (assuming that they only remove one frame at each end), that's 1 second of film missing from each reel.
Also, platters can greatly damage a print (much more so than 2k changeover) if not properly maintained. That also leads to another problem; in many cases, platters were installed to eliminate competent operators in the first place.

When they make new prints of a classic, they are hoping that the print will have many years of quality service, as opposed to new releases that will run for about 5 months and then be melted down.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would Spool Towers fit instead of R2R?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 07:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the "no platters" rule is a useless requirement, especially if they don't also include a "No 6000ft Long Play Reels." The concept being they think it's good for the print to never splice heads and tails on and off the print. That is questionable, but let's assume this is good for a print, then only saying no platters but not no long play reels is irrational. (I have seen a No platters/No long play reels requirement from the Eastman House and on some Universal prints, but not many others).

I think it would be much more useful for a distributor to forget about No Platters, but to require "Full Run Projectionist." They should require that a projectionst stay with the print the entire time it is running in the projector. I think the fact that by its very nature, a platter allows a run where the only time the projectionist absolutely needs to be at the machine is when it's threaded and started. The distrib's fear of platters is (aside from the incorrect perception that a platter necessarily is harder on a print than reel transport), comes from the fact that if there is a major failure on a platter run, the results can be catastrophic for an entire print, whilst if something goes wrong while a 2000ft reel is running, the most damage that can be done would be to that one reel, and usually only to a very small portion of that reel. That's not an insignificent difference between the two transport systems.

That said, if the distrib required a projectionist to stay with the platter from start to finish of a show, should something go wrong, a human being's intervention would limit damage to about the same as would happen in a reel-to-reel breakdown.

I have suggested changing this requirement many times to many distribs wherever I see them making this restriction, but unfortunately it seems the idea that the platter is in an of itself something evil, refuses to die and easy death.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also VERY important is the care of the projectionist. Platter operation is no problem when a print is built up, and more important, broken down properly.
I have seen prints simply broken down by filling up a reel, cutting it, then going on to the next reel. There was no concern with original makeup of the print, leaders replaced properly, etc.
Ask any distribution inspection department, and they can give you numerous horror stories that give platter operators a very bad name.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of the distributors saying "no platters" would mean "no 6k reels" too, if they knew about it. We have certainly have gotten surprised responses when telling distributors that we had a print with the heads and tails (badly) cut. At least one (I forget which) has gotten wise to that and has started asking exhibitors what size reels they run.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2009 11:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most "no platter" prints have had their leaders cut. There are also plenty of locations that only have platter but lie to the studios and platter the prints anyway. In addition there are lots of changeover houses that build to 6K reels.

The entire policy is stupid. If the studios cared, they would hire one specific person who TRULY knew what they were doing and would simply keep sending out prints, inspecting every single return, until a scratch appeared. At that point the last theater gets billed in full. Done.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is though more chance scratching a print on a platter than a reel to reel situation. A spool tower should do the business cheaper and easier.
Demetris

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Demetris Thoupis
There is though more chance scratching a print on a platter than a reel to reel situation. A spool tower should do the business cheaper and easier.
Demetris

If the person is incompetent and scratches a print while plattered, would they somehow be competent if the place was reel-to-reel instead?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The entire policy is stupid. If the studios cared, they would hire one specific person who TRULY knew what they were doing and would simply keep sending out prints, inspecting every single return, until a scratch appeared. At that point the last theater gets billed in full. Done.
The problem is, particularly with popular titles, some prints go straight to their next playdate. If you book FRANKENSTEIN during Halloween, for example, it usually doesn't come from the studio, but from a depot or directly from the last place it was booked, so there's no time for the studio to check it.

And then on top of that, once someone damages the print, good luck collecting from the folks that did the damage. If they didn't care enough that it got damaged, they probably won't care enough to pay $1,000 for a new reel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: