Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 2009 line up of kids movies basically sucks!

Author Topic: 2009 line up of kids movies basically sucks!
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just trying to figure out trailer for Monsters vs Aliens and I realized the product for kids this year pretty much sucks - aside from Up and Ice Age. Where the Wild Things Are might be good as well, but the rest look horrible. Plus it looks like a number of them are 3D just for the sake of being 3D.

Hannah Montana
Battle for Terra
Imagine That
G-Force
They Came from Upstairs
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Where the Wild Things Are
Astroboy
Planet 51
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
Tooth Fairy
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-26-2009 09:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9 looks like it has some decent potential. The show is animated, but it might be a tad dark for really young kids.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-26-2009 09:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9 does look interesting, but it doesn't look like it's intended for kids.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 09:55 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hannah Montana - Should do very well, although she's dying off a little

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - Should be great because Anna Faris is really hot even when it's just her voice

Where the Wild Things Are - Great potential

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - I'm surprised they're making a sequal to this. The first one sucked, but who knows.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel - Huge. I severly underestimated the first one, but man did it play well

The rest I don't know so much one way or the other. If Monsters vs. Aliens is well received, it will boost all other 3D flicks for at least the next year.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree that looks like a poor line-up. From the trailers, 9 and WTWTA look like adult films in kids clothing. We still haven't released Coraline so it looks a bit better for us in the UK.

For us Harry Potter and Night at the Museum 2 will capture some of the younger audiences, get the impression these films play a bit older in the US. Looking forward to Up as well, and the squirrel bits in Ice Age 3.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the Toy Story re-issue in October!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2009 01:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel - Huge. I severly underestimated the first one, but man did it play well
That's the truth. Our Christmas schedule was so crowded last year, I went so far as to pull the onesheets and trailer for the last one, until it went thru the roof nationwide. We played it 5 weeks after the break and it was our #2 grossing film for last year.

I think the new "Ice Age" will do gangbusters. The last one was *nearly* as big as the first for us. "Up" also looks great.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Astro Boy looks pretty boss.

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about "Where The Wild Things Are?" I think it's looking rather impressive myself...

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kids pics are very difficult to predict. I think a lot depends on the marketing (Disney channel, Nickelodean, etc). Tracking on this type of fare is usually unreliable as well.

Talk to your children and grandchildren. The buzz they get from school is usually your most reliable information. [Wink]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-27-2009 07:34 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not doubt that some of them will do ok at the box office. I just mean the quality doesn't look very good.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Yup, we played it up to and just over DVD release, and it still sold out the last week we played it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-28-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I see "The Battle for Terra" trailer I can't help but think all the artwork for the ships were quite liberally taken from Star Wars.

It's not that I think all space ships look like Star Wars; these just seem a little too similar to not be a bit of a rip-off from it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: