Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Grapes of Wrath - any prints around?

Author Topic: The Grapes of Wrath - any prints around?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our state historical society is promoting something called "The Big Read" where they pick a vintage book and encourage the kids to read it. part of the promotion is, they go into towns and bring in the movie version of the book.

They contacted me earlier this year and said they were working with "The Grapes of Wrath" and asked if we'd be interested in doing a special showing of the film. I said Yes, as long as they could get a 35mm print...they assured me they could.

Well you can guess the rest, they have now said there is only a DVD available.

Does anyone know if and where a print of the movie would be available? (1940 film with Henry Fonda)

Thanks in advance for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was originally Fox, so start with them. If you need a non-theatrical print instead, try Criterion

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This played at the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY last year in 35mm, so somebody must have a print.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 07:08 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that you post your print request on the 35mm collectors forum.

The members there seem to be fairly good at helping locating prints for repertory showings such as you are seeking.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros. has a classics division that handles films for several studios. You might try there also.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not a Warner Bros. film, so they can't be of any help.
Try your contacts at Fox. They should know how to book it. This is one of the best films ever made by that studio, and should be in constant distribution.

DM

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said Warner Bros. handles films for several of the studios. I have booked MGM films from WB classics.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 01:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the film is a 20th. Century Fox film.

Robert, Mr. May should know what Warner Bros. handles since he was Vice President of Film Services for Turner Entertainment. (MGM/WB)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our booker made a few calls and came up empty. Bottom line, the sponsoring organization is not willing to pay the (probably) high film rent and shipping, and the other probability is we'd only be able to find a vault print which we couldn't use due to being a platter house, so we told them the deal was off. I think the local county librarian was glad of it, actually...she said her April schedule was already jammed with other things anyway.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<i.As I said Warner Bros. handles films for several of the studios. I have booked MGM films from WB classics.
</i>

Yes, this is the horror for those running rep houses, Warners owns some of it's own stuff, MGM owns some of Warner's stuff and all the indie stuff/small label stuff over the years gets passed around.

Lots of emailing and phone calling can be involved. And when the catalog changes hands (or when the studio vault burns) sometimes the studio doesn't know what it has.

Pity Mike couldn't get a print, it's a good movie (though it stops halfway through the book, screwing up generations of HS kids trying to cheat their tests).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: